Batch Blending

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwndabear

Reaction score
I made 4 batches, 5 gallons each of barley wine for my wedding, which all came out with slightly different OGs. They are currently all separated into individual carboys. I am about to secondary them by siphoning them all into my keggle to blend so everything comes out the same. I've never done this before nor have I heard of anyone doing this.

Q - Is it going to make a difference using my keggle to blend since it is all metal (ie, no off flavors or anything)?
Q - I have yet to check final gravities but assuming one is way off, should I go ahead and blend anyways and add a wine yeast or something to eat away at the remaining sugars?

Once blended, I am going to secondary for a couple more weeks by returning to separate carboys. After they are finished I was planning on blending once more by bringing them back into the keggle and bottling straight from there.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

That is a lot of transfers. I would say your risk of infection will be greatly increased.
The FGs being slightly different most likely would not be noticeable in the taste or body of your barley wine.
I would do nothing. Much better option than ending with an infection and having no barley wine to serve.

So all of my FGs are WAY higher than I wanted them to be, just totally under attenuated. They all started between 1.072 and 1.090, and are all sitting at ~1.035 currently.

I am still going to blend but if I want to get the FGs down a little more, what yeast should I use to eat it?

Are these all grain recipes or extract? What has been the time in the primary? What yeast did you use?

WLP099 might take the SG lower. It would work best if you left the beer on the yeast cake in the primaries.

i was searching for something and this came up and was kinda like wat I was searching for. Which is better and why? Blending your beers in the fermenter, to let ferment together or letting two batches ferment separately and then blend them together after fermentation?

So all of my FGs are WAY higher than I wanted them to be, just totally under attenuated. They all started between 1.072 and 1.090, and are all sitting at ~1.035 currently.

I am still going to blend but if I want to get the FGs down a little more, what yeast should I use to eat it?

Are these all different recipes? Why the different OG's? And if they are different, why would you want to blend them?

Back