Will phenolic "band aid" flavor age out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bentoni

Reaction score
I brewed a blonde...I live in Texas and didn't pre-chill the chiller water. I pitched too high and got a faint phenolic band aid flavor. Will this age out in the keg? Can you do anything to salvage it?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Band-aid flavor usually is associated with chloramines. Did you use tap water?

In my experience, phenols don't age out and depending on the cause can actually get worse.

I dumped 10 gallons of 'band aid beer' that came about due to a contaminated yeast starter. I tried to age it, but it got worse.

If the phenols are from a slightly too high pitching temperature, and not due to chlorine in the brewing water, or contamination, it may age out a bit.

I used ozarka spring water.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I am bumping this , as i have the same issue.

I brewed a Hefeweizen (Edworts recipe) 3x times.
1st time was Perfect.
2nd time was BAND AID and aged well, improved and 80% of the taste was gone after 8 months. Of course it was not a fresh Hefe then...

3rd time (this week) , BAND AID again, this time even stronger.

Dont know what is causing this.
If this ages out....can i rule out infection and chloramines ?
This one was temperature controled to 65F (beer temp).
10 days in primary and the smell and taste is NASTY MEDICAL STUFF.

I use Campden tablets...my water is very soft...no odors...
I thought i was being meticulous with my cleaning usin ChemiPro and Starsan....but who knows ?

From Palmer's How To Brew:

Medicinal
These flavors are often described as mediciney, Band-Aid? like, or can be spicy like cloves. The cause are various phenols which are initially produced by the yeast. Chlorophenols result from the reaction of chlorine-based sanitizers (bleach) with phenol compounds and have very low taste thresholds. Rinsing with boiled water after sanitizing is the best way to prevent these flavors.

http://howtobrew.com/book/section-4/is-my-beer-ruined/common-off-flavors

From Palmer's How To Brew:

Medicinal
These flavors are often described as mediciney, Band-Aid? like, or can be spicy like cloves. The cause are various phenols which are initially produced by the yeast. Chlorophenols result from the reaction of chlorine-based sanitizers (bleach) with phenol compounds and have very low taste thresholds. Rinsing with boiled water after sanitizing is the best way to prevent these flavors.

http://howtobrew.com/book/section-4/is-my-beer-ruined/common-off-flavors

Great. But Starsan is not chlorine based....nor is ChemiPro Oxi.
I am leaning torwards a Brett infection....
Is there any way i can check for other signs in a Brett infected beer?

I am afraid that if i bottle it...i will get bombs due to the Brett beasties !?

Yeast Wyeast 3068
Pitch rate was 1.5L starter with the vial for 5 gallons of 1.052 wort.
Oxygenation was done with aquarium pump and 0.2 micron stone for 5 min.

For the sake of science...i took 20ml of sample and boiled it for 2 min. The aroma and bad taste are gone!
So I was thinking of making 5 gallons of non alcohol here beer.... stupid thought?

I've only had one w that problem. A saison that I brewed w a heating blanket. Tried a bottle here and there for a couple years... never mellowed out one bit.

Good luck.

Back