Why does my foam look like this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimelessCynic

Reaction score
After the initial head subsides the foam on my beer looks like this.

Not sure if it is a good thing. I am not used to foam like this even with micro brews.

My beers taste good though :) ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406847901.053129.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have the same thing in my current saison. The head builds nicely, then slowy fades off in to that. No lacing on the glass either. (Kegged beer FWIW)

At first I thought it might be dirty glassware as the culprit, but even after a good salt/soda scrub, same results. Then i read up that citrus in the beer kills head retention. I have fresh lime peel in my recipe. So it might be that.

I've had this happen to me also. It only seems to happen on my light lagers. I wonder if it has something to do with protein or fatty acids or something in the beer. I was noticing the foam on my wort coming to a boil (on a helles) the other day looked a bit like that.

He's a picture of one of mine that has done that... This is also a draft beer. OP, is yours bottled or kegged? I've never seen this before anywhere else, so I guess I'm relieved that it's not just me. But it's ugly and I wish it didn't happen.

20140205_203045.jpg

Mine was bottled. I don't think I have had this happen to me on my kegged beers.

I've had that happen on one of my last kegged beers. I was wondering if it was because of the dish washing liquid I used or when my wife ran some of my glasses in the dishwasher. I try to hand wash my glasses and I use the non scented clear liquid.

The beer still tasted good.

I am methodical about hand washing and rinsing my beer glass wear, so i don't think that is the cause.

The bottles i used for
Bottling went through the dishwasher but only on the dry cycle.

I don't think it has to do with glassware. What kind of malt and process did you use with this beer? It's happened most when I've used pils malt (not sure why that would make a difference, but who knows...). And has it only happened on this one bottle or is it happening with every bottle? I've never had this happen with my bottled beers, only draft beer. It's ugly and I'd like to know how to prevent it from happening. Fortunately, it's a fairly rare occurrence.

This can happen from excessive fobing (foam on beer) during your process. The usual culprits are when you oxygen before pitching, during fermentation, during carbonating for kegging, or during packaging. Any time you shake a fermenter or keg to dissolve a gas (be it co2 or o2 depending on where you are in the process) you create fobing. Anytime you have a vigorous fermentation or transfer beer from a keg to another container (serving glass, growler, bottle) with too much pressure, you get fob. The problem with fob is that a beer's foam potential is limited. So the more times you create fob before you actually want it (usually in the serving glass), the less foam you generate later on. When a beer is at the end of it's foaming potential, it's pretty common to get that foam appearance you're describing, almost like a soap scum quality on the surface. The solution is to limit fobing during your process as much as possible.

Interesting....I have to read this again tomorrow when I'm not jet lagged and half in the bag.

My beer was undercarbed when I took the pic.

I had the same problem when trying to do the quick force carb method. Ever sense I've done the slow and low method I haven't had that problem.

I used to shake the crap out of my wort and beer and recently switched to sintered stones to dissolve gas instead. Since then, I've had great foam and head retention. I'm still working on my serving system and occasionally get way too much fobing in the glass and when filling up growlers. When this happens I get the same strange looking foam on the surface. Some folks will even use fermcap to diminish fob during fermentation, but I've personally not used it.

This can happen from excessive fobing (foam on beer) during your process. The usual culprits are when you oxygen before pitching, during fermentation, during carbonating for kegging, or during packaging. Any time you shake a fermenter or keg to dissolve a gas (be it co2 or o2 depending on where you are in the process) you create fobing. Anytime you have a vigorous fermentation or transfer beer from a keg to another container (serving glass, growler, bottle) with too much pressure, you get fob. The problem with fob is that a beer's foam potential is limited. So the more times you create fob before you actually want it (usually in the serving glass), the less foam you generate later on. When a beer is at the end of it's foaming potential, it's pretty common to get that foam appearance you're describing, almost like a soap scum quality on the surface. The solution is to limit fobing during your process as much as possible.

Interesting. I did in fact use an O2 injection in my beers, and those did not retain head well. I think maybe the next time I make this saison I will try no O2 and see what happens. Never thought about that, nor heard of fobing. My beers were force carbed with a carbing stone, maybe I did it too quickly. Great things to think about for the next kegging session! Thanks!

Sounds like you've got everything down process-wise. I'll have to brainstorm more ideas relating to your original post. As of now, I'm all tapped out.

I have another assumption now. I think the beer just has really good head retention. Mine has been like this for about 30 minutes now. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407803382.905233.jpg

Back