Non-frost free Freezer for Temp Control?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzamora3

Reaction score
I'm looking to invest in a fermentation temperature control chamber. I found a guy selling a mini upright freezer with dimensions that will meet my needs. Only thing is the guy said the freezer is not frost free. Do you see that causing any issues with using this particular freezer? Thanks!

Being as you are not running the freezer at below freezing temps, it should not be a problem. In fact the way most temp control units work, the frost free function is basically useless.

Mines not a frost free, been in use with a Johnson digital, for years no problems:mug:

My chest freezer isn't frost-free. I get a bit of condensation on the floor of the freezer when fermenting at lager temps, but nothing a paper towel can't take care of.

Most chest freezers do not have auto defrost functionality. This is actually a big plus, as it makes them much much more energy efficient compared to units that do have auto-defrost.

You will need to manually defrost it from time to time, about every 3-4 months. Once you start seeing a decent amount of ice buildup, you'll just need to take everything out and melt all that ice. Most people take a bucket of hot water and a rag, and wipe the ice with hot water until it all melts.

If you don't do this, the chest freeze will start to have efficiency problems and struggle to get down to lower temps. Keep that ice in check, and you'll be all good.

Good luck!

Back