Well, I am officially a Texan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonofgrok

n00basaurus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just moved from NM to TX for my PhD. Now I have to figure out how to brew in my little grad student apartment. Moving from a big house with a dedicated brew room and closet to this tiny place...

This should be interesting.

Maybe do partial grain, or brew in a bag?

What's your area of study?

Biology. Microbial Genetics and Ecology specifically.

I am sure I will figure out ways to brew something. I will just have to explain to my wife why she can't shower because the tub is full of carboys :D

In my opinion, there are much scarier things out there right now than Ebola. CNN decides what is news though and they think Ebola is sexy at the moment. Don't get me wrong... Ebola is a serious disease but you won't catch me running around in a Biosaftey level 3 suit for groceries anytime soon.

I should also point out that I am no expert virologist. One undergrad class and a little bit of research on dengue virus hardly makes me any kind of expert.

Welcome to the Lone Star State. There is a prominent Baptist university in your town that looks down upon alcohol ingestion.

I'm trying to figure out the same thing right now. I just moved into a studio apartment in Oklahoma to start my PhD studies. Luckily I did small BIAB batches before, so my equipment doesn't take up that much space, but it's still been a struggle finding a place for everything

Welcome to the Lone Star State. There is a prominent Baptist university in your town that looks down upon alcohol ingestion.

True, but the Czech Stop is 20 minutes up the road.

Maybe you can brew with (at their house) someone from the local brew club? Do they have a local brew club in Waco?

That would be the one that I am attending. I know of at least 2 other grad students and one professor that all brew so I should survive. The restrictions are much more lax on grad students and I am in a sciences department.

I'm trying to figure out the same thing right now. I just moved into a studio apartment in Oklahoma to start my PhD studies. Luckily I did small BIAB batches before, so my equipment doesn't take up that much space, but it's still been a struggle finding a place for everything

Congrats to you too and good luck! My apartment is a 2 bedroom at 980 sq ft but it is still much much smaller than I am used too... I know boo hoo for me.

Congrats to you too and good luck! My apartment is a 2 bedroom at 980 sq ft but it is still much much smaller than I am used too... I know boo hoo for me.

Haha thanks! Mine is 425 sq ft so you could definitely be worse off ;)

Mine as well, but for a different reason. Please don't judge the rest of the Lone Star State by your experience in Waco. :p

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I am actually pretty familiar with other locales in Texas including yours. Before going back to school for biology, I had a career in human resources as a benefits analyst for a chain of hospitals and regularly traveled to Mesquite, Laredo, Brownsville, and we were building a hospital in in New Braunfels.

I didn't think Waco was bad at all during my visit there...

Waco's not all THAT bad, but between the poor economy and the (relatively) high crime rate (and lack of entertainment options), it's generally considered to be one of the less idyllic parts of the state.

Oh but don't expect me to become a Cowboys fan anytime in the near future. And by near future I mean ever.

That's okay, most of us haven't been for a while either. :p

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Welcome back to Texas. :mug:

Our first apartment here was 600 sq ft. I don't know what the area was in the motel.

Waco has a Dr. Pepper museum, Lake Waco, a disc golf course, the Texas Rangers museum. Dublin is not too far away. There's also some nice country roads around the area.

Welcome back to Texas. :mug:

Our first apartment here was 600 sq ft. I don't know what the area was in the motel.

Waco has a Dr. Pepper museum, Lake Waco, a disc golf course, the Texas Rangers museum. Dublin is not too far away. There's also some nice country roads around the area.

Plus.............Waco is only about 3 hours away from our winter quarters.

There are two great BBQ places between, but nothing else at all, especially anyplace with good beer. :mad:

I am actually pretty familiar with other locales in Texas including yours. Before going back to school for biology, I had a career in human resources as a benefits analyst for a chain of hospitals and regularly traveled to Mesquite, Laredo, Brownsville, and we were building a hospital in in New Braunfels.

I didn't think Waco was bad at all during my visit there...

You didn't spend enough time in Waco....

Kidding. Welcome back to Texas.

You didn't spend enough time in Waco....

Kidding. Welcome back to Texas.

You are only about an hour and a half away! How different can it be!?!?!

In all seriousness though, when the wife and I travel out of Waco we will likely take the southern route through your neck of the woods. I don't like Dallas. Something about Dallas has just always rubbed me wrong. Probably me extrapolating all my crazy experiences with the cabbies there.

I am a homesick Texan from Dallas. I LOVE Dallas! ...but I love in Alabama (work). I am heading back got a visit next month. Then we're heading down to Austin, Lockhart, San Antonio, back to Lockhart, back to Austin, then back to 'bama. I can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So far my largest revelation here has been... WOW there are sh*%%y drivers here. I used to complain about how bad Albuquerque, NM drivers were but man... they have nothing on these Waconians.

:D

Is the bathroom with a tub designed for the master bedroom? Even if the second only has a shower you still have an option to use the shower. Just an idea.

Is the bathroom with a tub designed for the master bedroom? Even if the second only has a shower you still have an option to use the shower. Just an idea.

Second is only a toilet sink half bath. We can't even use the tub as it is right now because first morning here showering it started leaking down to the first floor. It is taking them 3 days to fix it. At least they gave us a key to the model apartment to shower...

...wait... I should brew in there! Muahahahaha

You are only about an hour and a half away! How different can it be!?!?!

Very. For one my region has a different fart smell. It still smells like farts, but it's different. The socio-political atmosphere is also very different leading to a different level of acceptance and a divergent mentality.

I could write all day about the unique friendliness of Texas regions.

So far my largest revelation here has been... WOW there are sh*%%y drivers here. I used to complain about how bad Albuquerque, NM drivers were but man... they have nothing on these Waconians.

:D

You will enjoy driving in Austin then. It's even worse.

Second is only a toilet sink half bath. We can't even use the tub as it is right now because first morning here showering it started leaking down to the first floor. It is taking them 3 days to fix it. At least they gave us a key to the model apartment to shower...

...wait... I should brew in there! Muahahahaha

Although it may not be optimum, get a "keg" bucket, put your fermenter into that, fill with as much water as you dare, and the temperature changes from fermentation will be much slower in that volume of water. I will guess the only freezer you have is for food is part of your refrigerator, so I won't mention lots of "blue" ice. Next idea, go to W-mart, where you may find a "keg" bucket, a lot of regular grocery store sell them. They are usually above the reach in freezers. Buy the least expensive fan you can, sacrifice a tee shirt, and for $30.00 or less, your second bathroom is now your fermentation chamber. :) I store a lot of my beers in a back unused bedroom closet, and last night my wife asked me where I was, and my reply, "I am in the beer cellar", I said. She notified me the closet was the games and winter wear closet, and not my beer cellar. You can't blame a man for trying, can you?

Latest posts

Back