American Pale Ale Victory Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frazier

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05 or 1272
Yeast Starter
Depends
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days @ 65*
Tasting Notes
Well rounded and balanced malt and citrus hoppiness
Grain Bill:

11.5 lbs Marris Otter
0.5 lbs Victory Malt
0.5 lbs White Wheat

Hops:

0.5 oz Simcoe 11.7% 60 min.
0.5 oz Simcoe 11.7% 30 Min
0.5 oz Simcoe 11.7% 10 Min
0.5 oz Amarillo 8.0% 10 Min
0.5 oz Simcoe 11.7% Flameout
0.5 oz Amarillo 8.0% Flameout

This recipe came about as a rexult of my incessant tinkering with other recipes. My APA's have either been Yooper's House APA (about 5 times) and Dude's Lake Walk APA (3 times). Recently, I've been toying with the idea of dialing back on the Crystal malts, which was also suggested by JZ's APA in Brewing Classic Styles. As you can see, I dialed the Crystal all the way down to zero.

The result was a wonderful grain maltiness, perfectly balanced by the brightness of Simcoe and Amarillo. You can dry hop this if you want, but I don't think it needs it - it's not an IPA after all.

Incidentally, I had problems with the mash which resulted in a mash of about 3 hours, during which the temperature fell to about 145. My FG ended up at 1.008, but I think 1.012 or so is a more realistic target. I haven't decided whether or not to try to repeat my mistakes on this, but it came out great!

Mmmmmm....looks real good. I just did my first simcoe/amarillo blend, and I don't think I'll ever do anything else. Haha!

I love the simple grainbill. How much toasted flavor did the .5lbs. of victory impart?

I wouldn’t call it toasty or roasty – it’s only a half pound (4%). More of a baking-bread warmth, which goes well with the MO, and contrasts nicely with the cool flavors of the hops.

And yeah, Simcoe – Amarillo is classic. I did an American stout last year that combined a pound of roast barley with a load of Centennial – Cascade hops. I was going for a “marmalade on toast” effect. The beer was great, but next time I may try it with Simcoe - Amarillo to heighten the effect.

Cheers,

OK so, I made this again, mashed at a more reasonable 152. The US-05 chugged along in an apparently listless fermentation - the kraeusen never more than an inch of foam. And yet, on bottling day, the FG was 1.008, for an 87% attenuation (the OG was 1.062).

Also, I dry hopped with an ounce of Amarillo. The sample was awesome!

Cheers!

Back