Do regulators freeze?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrustyOlJohnson

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My main regulator was set at 10 pai and the keezer is at bout 38 deg. The pressure dropped to zero and I cant get it to work. My high pressure regulator still works and the tank has good pressure in it ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406346528.551386.jpg

I don't think regulators truly "freeze". Otoh, if there's enough humidity to form ice, it wouldn't surprise me that a gauge could lock up.

fwiw, as you're running a primary regulator feeding a secondary (the latter I presume is the "main") it's typical to need to maintain at least a five psi differential across a secondary regulator. Eg: if you want the secondary to provide 12 psi to your keg, the primary needs to be set to at least 17 psi. Looking at that primary regulator gauge, I doubt you have that set high enough, and it may be what's causing the secondary regulator to act weird...

Cheers!

I don't think regulators truly "freeze". Otoh, if there's enough humidity to form ice, it wouldn't surprise me that a gauge could lock up.

fwiw, as you're running a primary regulator feeding a secondary (the latter I presume is the "main") it's typical to need to maintain at least a five psi differential across a secondary regulator. Eg: if you want the secondary to provide 12 psi to your keg, the primary needs to be set to at least 17 psi. Looking at that primary regulator gauge, I doubt you have that set high enough, and it may be what's causing the secondary regulator to act weird...

Cheers!

Good eye day_trippr, and I apologize for misleading you. The regulator on the right is normally set at 35 psi for force carbing kegs, and I reduced it down to 10ish jus to get the keg goin again right before I took the pic. Oddly, about 10 minutes after the pic, the regulator on the right dropped to zero as well, so now I have nothing coming out of either regulator and a gauge that appears to show pressure remaining in the tank. So now I removed the tank and regulators from the keezer and Im gonna let em sit outside to see if they need to thaw.

"Sometimes Im right half of the time..."

just ask a scuba diver about reg's freezing! At least beer isn't a life or death sort of thing (wait, did i just say that?).

But you're not dunking the unit and the CO2 supply should be dry so the odds of it happening are low, i would guess bad gauge before freezing.

Ok, went to get a refilled CO2 cylinder. Mine was a 20 lb cylinder, and we weighed it out of curiosity. There were 15 lbs of CO2 in it. So I came home, reconnected everything, and I have 500 psi in the line, but ZERO pressure coming out of either regulator!! Whats going on here?

"Sometimes Im right half of the time..."

Well, so I basically "shook up" the whole system. Ran the high pressure regulator all the way up and down and half way up and got a response. Then did the same with the low pressure regulator. Then set em at 35 and 10. Im back in business!!

Weird Science? :drunk:

I just realized you're not actually running a primary/secondary rig, that's actually a ganged pair of primaries. So forget that whole pressure differential thing ;)

Cheers!

Weird Science? :drunk:

I just realized you're not actually running a primary/secondary rig, that's actually a ganged pair of primaries. So forget that whole pressure differential thing ;)

Cheers!

Well, I hope its ok that your post was the inspiration for how to try to get this working again. Im really not for sure what caused it to stop. But working withe the high pressure first, I got it working.

Back