Question about amount of sediment.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shakesbeer

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I'm beginner brewer.
1st batch I brewed is 1 Gallon Batch from Brooklyn Brew Shop, everything worked fine.

In 2nd batch, instead of buying Brooklyn 1 gallon kit (It's too pricey) I bought 5 gallon grain kit, and devided ingredients by 5 to ferment in 1 Gallon Carboy.

After 1 week since I putted the wort to fermentor, I'm little curious because I think amount from sediment is too much (at least much and my first batch)

P_20140726_095518.jpg

Oh, by the way This is Citra Pale Ale.
Is this common? Or would you give me some advice if I did anything wrong

P.S. Sorry for my bad English.

Thank you very much.:mug:

I can't really tell from the picture, but either you have a very large amount of yeast or you didn't use a filter to keep the grains out of the wort.

Yes, that is an unusually high amount of sediment. Not much you can do but leave as much of it behind as you can when you bottle...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

you would have to describe your process but from what i deduct from your post you got all grain kit and used it without mashing/lautering? that would explain the sediments

@flars, @Demus : Thank you for the advice :)

@Polboy :
Thank you for advice.
My Procedure :
I divided every grain,hops with 5 and,
1.Mash 60 mins. (2.6 Quarts of Water) <Grain was milled>
2.Sparge (Added about 4.5 Quarts of Water)
3.Boil for another 60 mins.

cooled and pitched about 0.2~0.3g of dry yeast. (Safale US-05)

I did same procedure same as when I brewed Brooklyn Brew Shop 1 gallon mix. (and those turned out ok):cross:
http://youtu.be/CH5eN6pVK1A

Back