Possible Problem During Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCC

Reaction score
Hi All,

First Post, First Problem.

We made our first all-grain batch recently (BIAB). It was a very basic summer Citrus Blond Ale OG target was 1.050, actual was 1.055

Our FG should have been about 1.010 according to the recipe, but is stuck at 1.018. We used US-04 yeast (rehydrated, no starter) and the fermentation never really took off. It was also way to warm during the first few days.

Anyway, after about 12 days the wort looks like this, which I am not sure if it is okay or not, it looks a bit chunky.

It looks good in the thief though:

Let me your thoughts please. Right now I'm leaning towards cold crashing it and bottling it up.

It tastes ok, if a bit weak, which is okay as it was made for the wives.

Thanks!

Have you checked the gravity a few times in a few days spread? You really need to know that it's done before you bottle it.

I had something like this with a stout, and it was sickly sweet. I dumped all but a 6 pack that I'll age to see how it is.

Don't worry too much about yucky looking stuff in there. As you siphon it'll usually stick to the sides. If there's a layer just siphon under it. Give it the sniff test. As long as it's not sour it's likely good. But some don't mind sour.

What temp is it being kept at?

I'd give it 3-4 weeks total before bottling.

Did your mash temps get over 160*? This could create less convertible sugars too.

What temperature did you have for the mash. Warmer will give a less fermentable wort, and a higher final gravity. The recipes give a target based on the grain bill and yeast's attenuation. It is a target. What you actually get will vary.

Way too warm during the first few days is the worst possible time. This may have given off flavors and a harsh bite.

Given the looks in your vessel picture I would give it a swirl to rouse the yeast, that may take the gravity down another couple of points, then wait another week or two. At this point you are on the short end of normal fermentation time. Though with the high temperatures to begin it may have fermented out in a couple of days.

Have you checked the gravity a few times in a few days spread? You really need to know that it's done before you bottle it.

I had something like this with a stout, and it was sickly sweet. I dumped all but a 6 pack that I'll age to see how it is.

Don't worry too much about yucky looking stuff in there. As you siphon it'll usually stick to the sides. If there's a layer just siphon under it. Give it the sniff test. As long as it's not sour it's likely good. But some don't mind sour.

What temp is it being kept at?

I'd give it 3-4 weeks total before bottling.

Thanks. yes, gravity was the same Sunday when I checked last. Maybe I will leave it a bit longer.

Probably about 70 degrees now which is prob still too warm, that is in a basic swamp cooler.

Yeah, the mash temps may have gotten too high. As this was our first go at BIAB we might not have had it dialed in.

And, I'm an idiot, actually brewed this 19 days ago. Recipe calls for 21 day ferment which is why I have been checking it.

Thanks for the feedback all.

Stirring up the yeast (gently stirring to not create oxygenation) is not a bad idea. But it seems likely your mash temps were a bit high and created unfermentable sugars. You either deal with a sweet beer or add something like honey or a sugar water solution to help with the imbalance so it doesn't seem too sweet.

Do you have any floating thermometers to check mash temps with?

I used a thermocouple so I could keep the lid on. I think my first issue was that I didn't stir the grains in so I got a false high reading and added water. Got too cold and then probably overheated it warming it back up . Noobs... The reader has two thermocouple readings, next time I'll put both in to see if I have consistency.

70 is water temp, so beer might be a bit warmer. Ambient is about 77.

Thanks for your help.

I mostly wanted to verify the floaties were nothing to worry about, I'll give it a swirl, let it sit another week, verify FG and bottle it up.

I noted about a 5* warmer beer temp over my water temp. I thought it would have been much less, but found out otherwise.

75* is rather warm. So would be 70* unless it were a Belgian.

Guess time will tell.

Those look like hop seeds! Hop seeds float. No problem.

If you mashed high and have a high FG, I would taste a sample. Does it taste all separated, like a bit of sweetness and a bit of bitterness and a bit of hop flavor over here and a bit of esters over there, or does it taste totally sickly sweet? If the former (good odds) then you're golden. Enjoy your heavy body. If it's sickly sweet, period, try Danstar Belle Saison at 80F. It will finish out.

Problem solved.

Back