Sierra Nevada's Beer Camp - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Sierra Nevada's Beer Camp

Old 07-23-2014, 05:42 PM   #1
Eugenio
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2013
Boston, Ma
Liked 99 Times on 61 Posts

Sierra Nevada's Beer Camp

Im sure a few of you bought these...what do you think?

I bought it mostly to try a couple of names that are hard to find here, like Russian River, 3 Floyds and Cigar city. So far have only had the Victory Pilsner, its fantastic.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:56 PM   #2
Falcon3
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Boise, ID
Liked 84 Times on 54 Posts

Yeah I got this the other day. Only about halfway through (I'm having to pace myself to 1 bottle/night) Favorites so far:

Pils: Really nice- although I didn't get the "fruity" hop character that the description said was there. It was just a very dry BoPils to me. Really nice.

Alt: I really liked this one, too. Nice full body with a tiny hint of roast and chocolate but a clean finish from the ale yeast.

I'm a little surprised that given many of the breweries involved in this venture, there's no true IPA. I think the IPL thing is stupid, and I've never had a good one- to me, it's like putting a 10 inch lift on a corvette- trucks are fun, Corvettes are fun, but a Corvette that looks like a truck is neither fast nor off-road capable. I dunno....

PLOVE Likes This 
Old 07-23-2014, 06:14 PM   #3
Xpertskir
Recipes 

May 2012
Morgantown, Wv
Liked 453 Times on 291 Posts

I thought it was pretty good, but not near what I was expecting coming from what I think is a who's who list of the best brewers in the country. Except Bells, they are a joke and had no business being included.

Plus in general I don't like sampler packs, tasters or anything like that. It takes more than a full glass to really understand a beer.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:18 PM   #4
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Santa Barbara, CA
Liked 590 Times on 429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
Yeah I got this the other day. Only about halfway through (I'm having to pace myself to 1 bottle/night) Favorites so far:

Pils: Really nice- although I didn't get the "fruity" hop character that the description said was there. It was just a very dry BoPils to me. Really nice.

Alt: I really liked this one, too. Nice full body with a tiny hint of roast and chocolate but a clean finish from the ale yeast.

I'm a little surprised that given many of the breweries involved in this venture, there's no true IPA. I think the IPL thing is stupid, and I've never had a good one- to me, it's like putting a 10 inch lift on a corvette- trucks are fun, Corvettes are fun, but a Corvette that looks like a truck is neither fast nor off-road capable. I dunno....
Different strokes for different folks I guess. The best beer I've ever brewed was an IPL, and I like this one as well. Sudwerx (sp?) up in OR makes a great one called Cascade. I think that style is blowing up tbh. The clean flavor of a lager malt profiles the hops even more....

Old 07-23-2014, 07:23 PM   #5
beersk
Recipes 

Mar 2013
, Iowa City, IA
Liked 171 Times on 149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpertskir View Post
I thought it was pretty good, but not near what I was expecting coming from what I think is a who's who list of the best brewers in the country. Except Bells, they are a joke and had no business being included.

Plus in general I don't like sampler packs, tasters or anything like that. It takes more than a full glass to really understand a beer.
What about Bells is a joke to you? They brew some fantastic beers. They're certainly not my favorite, but they definitely aren't a joke.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:34 PM   #6
zmanzorro
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Dallas, Texas
Liked 196 Times on 127 Posts

Bought mine last night, can't wait to crack one open tonight!

- Martin Luther

Old 07-24-2014, 03:46 PM   #7
beersk
Recipes 

Mar 2013
, Iowa City, IA
Liked 171 Times on 149 Posts

I had the Altbier last night. Damn, that was tasty. Too strong for traditional alt, but very tasty.

Old 07-24-2014, 03:56 PM   #8
Grannyknot
Recipes 

Oct 2012
Knoxville, TN
Liked 239 Times on 161 Posts

I thought a lot of the beers were really good. My favorite was probably the Alt so far.
I'm aging a few of them and I haven't drank the pale lager or the scotch ale yet.
That being said, I probably won't buy it again. It was freakin $20 in my neck of the woods.

To the guy that said Bell's is a joke...LOL.
Primary:
On Deck: Kolsch, Summer Saison

Old 07-24-2014, 04:05 PM   #9
fuzzy2133
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2012
Morgan Hill, CA
Liked 396 Times on 306 Posts

The case went over well with my family at my son's birthday. They only left me 8 to try.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:07 PM   #10
Xpertskir
Recipes 

May 2012
Morgantown, Wv
Liked 453 Times on 291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beersk View Post
What about Bells is a joke to you? They brew some fantastic beers. They're certainly not my favorite, but they definitely aren't a joke.

Which beers are fantastic?

Let me guess.

Two hearted
Hopslam
Kzoo stout
Oberon

Two hearted is their best beer, but it's still not very good compared to it's peers.

Perhaps bells isnt a joke, but they are easily the most overhyped brewery in the country...and most of their "shelf beers" (amber, pale ale, porter, oberon) are in fact a joke.

Hopslam is just a mess BTW.

MFWINZLOW Likes This