Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Skeeterpee 2 questions

Old 07-22-2014, 10:05 AM   #1
TheCollector
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Skeeterpee 2 questions

Ok so I moved my skeeterpee to secondary last night and added my sparkloid and kmeta and potassium sorbate. I think I messed up my sparkloid . I boiled it for 5 minutes as per directions. But I let it cool quite a bit before I poured it into my secondary. I then racked my skeeterpee ontop of the sparkloid. Now I've got a sparkloid "turd" floating around in there... So what now? Boil more sparkloid and dump it in my better bottle immediately?

Next question... I overshot my volume and ended up with a healthy 6 gallons at time of secondary so I moved 5 gallons into a better bottle and 1 gallon into a 1 gallon jug. I added the sparkloid , kmeta and potassium sorbate into the better bottle as per directions. So how do I know how much of each additive to put in the 1 gallon jug?

Thanks to all of you!

Old 07-22-2014, 10:19 AM   #2
TheCollector
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

[Click image for larger version

Name:	1406024350394.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	212671

Click image for larger version

Name:	1406024367061.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	212672  

Old 07-22-2014, 09:30 PM   #3
lukebuz
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

LOL. I actually laughed at the "turd"! I'd leave it for character. I good, um conversation piece...
fuelish Likes This 
Old 07-22-2014, 09:38 PM   #4
Fuzzymittenbrewing
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1260 Times on 893 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCollector View Post
Ok so I moved my skeeterpee to secondary last night and added my sparkloid and kmeta and potassium sorbate. I think I messed up my sparkloid . I boiled it for 5 minutes as per directions. But I let it cool quite a bit before I poured it into my secondary. I then racked my skeeterpee ontop of the sparkloid. Now I've got a sparkloid "turd" floating around in there... So what now? Boil more sparkloid and dump it in my better bottle immediately?

Next question... I overshot my volume and ended up with a healthy 6 gallons at time of secondary so I moved 5 gallons into a better bottle and 1 gallon into a 1 gallon jug. I added the sparkloid , kmeta and potassium sorbate into the better bottle as per directions. So how do I know how much of each additive to put in the 1 gallon jug?

Thanks to all of you!
Id say do the sparklloid again in the 5 gal. As for the one gallon, taste it without the sparklloid and see if your ok with it. Ive made well over 100 gallons of the stuff and I don't clear it anymore if its just going on tap at my house. If its a gift or being made expressly for someone else I'll clear it. I don't think its a big enough difference to bother.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:59 AM   #5
TheCollector
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Glad I could make you laugh! I think I might call it skeeter-turds-n-pee LOL! will re-do the sparkloid and for the 1 gallon you guys think I could use splenda to backsweeten and if so how much for 1 gallon? Then use fizz drops when I bottle and see if they will carb? Have a few sparkling bottles?

Old 07-23-2014, 01:17 AM   #6
Fuzzymittenbrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Glad I could make you laugh! I think I might call it skeeter-turds-n-pee LOL! will re-do the sparkloid and for the 1 gallon you guys think I could use splenda to backsweeten and if so how much for 1 gallon? Then use fizz drops when I bottle and see if they will carb? Have a few sparkling bottles?
Fizz drops wont carb it because you already hit it with Kmeta and sorbate . If you want your next batch carbed you will have to backsweeten and pasturize to stop fermentation. Some people do use Splenda as a backsweetener but personally I just prefer table sugar to taste. I also love playing around with Kool aid flavors to flavor batches. I tend to use one Kool Aid pack per gallon.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:03 AM   #7
TheCollector
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

The kmeta only hit the better bottle. I did that as I was transferring so it never touched the 1 gallon

Old 07-23-2014, 04:20 AM   #8
Fuzzymittenbrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
The kmeta only hit the better bottle. I did that as I was transferring so it never touched the 1 gallon
Well I think you would be ok carbing the one gallon by backsweetening (if your using splenda) and the carb drops.