Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > A Tale of Two Saisons - Fantome & Funk(split yeast batch)
Old 12-17-2007, 03:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default A Tale of Two Saisons - Fantome & Funk(split yeast batch)

So I brewed 5 gallons of Saison today:

14# Pils
.25# Munich
.25# Aromatic
1.5# Fructose(I don't know how this will be different, if at all)
Hallertau @ 60 & 30mins
3g's cracked black pepper & 7g's tangerine peel(had it on hand) @ 7min's
Single Infusion @148F

I split the batch equally into two fermenters. And in half I used Fantome yeast/etc. cultured from a bottle(starter tasted SO GOOD) and in the other half I used Wyeast's Forbidden Fruit yeast. The half with the Forbidden Fruit is going to have half of the 'funky' oak cubes(Bretts/lacto/pedio/etc.) I received added to secondary, and will age for 6-months to a year+. But the half with the Fantome yeast/etc should be done more quickly, but still take a bit longer because they definitely use at least Brett in addition to an ale strain. I'm thinking maybe 2-3 months, maybe less though, but it will be bottled w/o any other additions.
Its at ~1.085, which is a bit above the high-end of 1.080 for saisons, but I'm not too concerned. I'll keep it at 68F for a day, and then crank up the heat to the low 80F's.

"Did you ever kick a woman in the midsection while she was wearing a whalebone corset? I nearly broke my great toe. I never had such a painful experience." -Egbert Souse(W.C.Fields)
Old 12-18-2007, 02:21 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

That sounds like a good way to break up the batch. I've never used the Fantome culture from a bottle bu have used Forbidden Fruit. The batch I made with Forbidden Fruit turned out a little too dry for my tastes, but got much better with age. I didn't add the Brett to it though, so aging wasn't as long as what you need. It will probably take close to a year just to get the mold/pedicle forming on the top of the beer. But it will be oh so tasty when it's done!