1gal Strawberry Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tex2Ten

Reaction score
I have a few spare ingredients and realized I could make a 1gal batch of wheat beer. My wife likes Red's Strawberry "Ale" so I figured I would make a strawberry wheat beer. I'm using a pound of wheat DME.

Now the question...should I use Citra, Centennial, or Simcoe? Those are the three I have and I don't want to spend anything else. LOL

Thanks.

I would also choose the citra. Next time though, get some el dorado hops and you will supercharge the strawberry flavors.

So I used 1lb of Wheat DME and 1/4 oz of Centennial. I added 16oz of Breyer's all natural Strawberry ice cream topping to the primary and let it run. Tasted after ferm and there was no strawberry flavor left. I racked to 2nd with 16 more oz of strawberry which triggered another shorter fermentation. Bottled it last night and it tasted like the yeast had scrubbed it again. I got the tartness and maybe a hint of flavor, but no sweetness.
Bummer!!

I've made a few fruit beers with different fruit and had mixed results. I have ended up using extracts. With extract you know exactly how much you need for however many gallons. I have received a lot of compliments with my beer going this route. I just add it to the beer right before I bottle.

Remove the seeds with some loupes and a pair of very fine tweezers...just kidding :cool:

Strawberry is a hard fruit flavor to get into beer, therefore the comments (6 years ago) about extracts. I have had success with a strawberry milkshake IPA. I added 6 lbs of fresh strawberries pureed with a cup of strawberry vodka on the second day of fermentation. 6 gallon batch (5 into keg).

Most of the flavor and all of the sugar ferments out. And there is so much water in strawberries that it seems to lower your OG. The lactose helped and the beer was fantastic. Used fruit forward hops (Bru-1, Azacca, Galaxy, Citra) . The seeds and the fruit pulp were cold crashed out and left behind with kegging.

I recommend Belma hops, I use them to bring out the strawberry in my strawberry rhubarb wheat. And +1 to about a pound of fruit per gallon.

Back