Scrub Master 3000 Version 2.0

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raysmithtx

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First I want to acknowledge the thread that started this. There were a number of people, myself included, wanting part numbers and a parts list but the info was never posted.

My version is similar to the original thread but not exactly the same. Here's a picture of the finished product.

complete-system.jpg

overview.jpg

How I built it: First I ordered a pump from Amazon. The price was 51.81 delivered (Amazon Prime).
pump-pic.jpg

I then went to Lowes and bought the parts for the main manifold.
manifold-complete.jpg

These are the parts for the manifold:
manifold-parts2.jpg

Here's a parts list (Lowes) for the manifold.
6 1" x 3/4" threaded PVC (PN: 23856) 46 cents each
4 PVC plugs (PN:23524) 97 cents each
4 90 degree elbows (PN:23868) 47 cents each
2 1" PVC tees (PN:23876) 86 cents each
2 1" ball valve (PN:21486) $5.15 each
1 1" 4 way cross (PN:22702) $2.66
1 10' 1" PVC pipe (23933) this is rated to 200PSI but is not the schedule 40. $2.55
1 10' 3/4" PVC pipe. I think it was about $2.25.

If you are using glass carboys (I use Better Bottles) then you will need a few additional parts because the neck of the glass carboy is too small for the 3/4" pipe.
For glass carboys add to the above:
3/4" male to 1/2" female coupling (PN:23938)
1/2" cap (PN:23937) $.36
1/2" pipe (PN:23966) $1.89

This will allow you to use the 1/2" pipe for cleaning the glass carboys and the 3/4" pipe for everything else.

In addition to the above you will need PVC cement and PVC primer and a way to cut some pieces off the 10' pipe (hacksaw works okay).

To assemble the above you will need to cut 8 1 1/2" pieces of the 1" pipe. Sand off any burrs and be sure to dry fit everything together before the glue up. I put pencil marks on the connectors when I have everything lined up. That way when I go to glue up all I have to worry about is lining up those pencil marks. If you have never used PVC cement it is easy (and messy). Prime all the joints with the primer, let it dry a couple of minutes, then swab the cement on one of the connectors and push the parts together giving it a slight twist as they slide together. The glue sets up fast so be ready and be sure the parts are lined up properly before the glue sets.

Here's a picture of the manifold dry fit. Note that the black piece shown is part of the pump and not a part bought separately:
dryfit.jpg

Here's the pieces after priming:
manifold-primed.jpg

KEGERATOR LINE CLEANER
Up until now I have used a hand pump sprayer to circulate the line cleaner through my keg lines as needed. Now I don't need that setup any longer.

PARTS NEEDED:
Brass 1/2" ID x 1/2" FIP (LFA 390) found on the Lowes plumbing department
Brass 3/8" Fine Thread x 1/2" FIP (LFA-181)
Corny post for the liquid/beer side. I took the one off of my old pump cleaner. Any good size LHBS will carry these.
6' 5/8" OD x 1/2" ID tubing PN:22274 1 3/4" barb (PN:194590). You can find these in the plumbing section but if you look in the sprinkler/irrigation section you can find them a lot cheaper. The only difference is the ones in the sprinkler section are black and not white.
Stainless Steel hose clamps. I bought a 10 pack (PN:47792). It cost $3.06 for the package.

kegerator-line.jpg

The only note is to be sure to connect the fittings so that the poppet is seated at the top of the corny post. It must have enough pressure on the poppet spring to depress the center pin on the beer line connector in your kegerator or you won't get any water/cleaner circulation through the line and faucet.

CORNY TUBE CLEANER:
Gas ball lock connector (I already had this)
Liquid ball lock connector (I already had this)
2 6' 5/8" OD x 1/2" ID tubing (forgot to write down the part number but it's in the Lowes plumbing section with all the other tubing).

Because the Lowes tubing is larger than the barbs on the ball lock connectors I put a short piece of beer line on the barbs and then slipped the Lowes tubing over that and secured with hose clamps. If you look close you can see the tubing inside the Lowes tubing.

keg-tubes.jpg

keg-cleaning.jpg

MISCELLANEOUS Parts:
Tub (PN:131957) $13.98 I couldn't find a Rubbermaid tub so I used this one. If you don't use this one then I suggest that you put the manifold assembly together then measure it to see what size tub you will need. The smaller the tub you buy, the less water/solution it will take to keep the pump from cavitating. Be sure to measure the height too. I found a lot of tubs that were perfect for the length and width but weren't quite tall enough.

Here's a picture of the pump and manifold setting in the tub.

manifold-in-tub.jpg

I couldn't come up with a more elegant solution for the grid to go on top of the tub so I bought a 6' section of closet shelving and then cut 2 20" pieces from it. That size will allow the grid to be stored inside the tub when not in use.

shelving.jpg

CORNY WASHER:
Measure the length of PVC needed to go nearly to the top (actually the bottom) of the corny. Glue the piece of 3/4" PVC to the threaded connector and screw into the center connector of the manifold. I drilled a number of 1/8" holes in a 3/4" PVC cap for the water/cleaner to spray out. I drilled the top holes straight but drilled the side holes at an angle so the water would hit towards the edges.

keg-cleaning.jpg

cap.jpg

I used longer lines for the keg connections so I can lay the corny on its' side and connect the connectors to the posts and then lift the keg over the top of the spray tube. Slide the grid together and it sits perfectly level with no issues.

CARBOY WASHER/BUCKET WASHER:
Measure the length needed to go nearly to the top (actually the bottom) of the bucket. Glue a piece of 3/4" PVC to the threaded connector and screw into the center connector of the manifold (for glass carboys use the 1/2" pipe and the 1/2" cap along with the 3/4" to 1/2" adapter).

I drilled a number of 1/8" holes in a 3/4" PVC cap for the water/cleaner to spray out. I drilled the top holes straight but drilled the side holes at an angle so the water would hit towards the edges.

The length of pipe for a bucket is just slightly less than that needed for a carboy so I use the same one. You can use one tube for everything but since I bought a 10' length of PVC I decided to make use of it. Once it's running you will be able so see just how powerful and complete the spray pattern is.

Although not necessary I bought a flange to set the carboy in while cleaning. This gives more support and the carboy will not fall over against the wash tube. I had to use my Dremel to take out a little bit of the edge so the carboy would go completely in and shoulder of the carboy rests on the flange.

The flange is not attached to anything, it just sits on the grid. Flange PN:23542 $4.73

flange.jpg

Pic cleaning a carboy:
corny-washer.jpg

KEGERATOR LINE CLEANING:
Hook up the keg line cleaning attachment and connect a tube from the open faucet to drain back into the tub. I had a piece of extra high temp tubing that worked perfect for this.

Do not forget to put a plug in the center of the manifold (you will probably only forget to do this one time), I suggest you plug the hole in the end with the overflow tube and use the other end for attaching the kegerator line cleaning line. Open both valves and start the pump. Adjust the valve (closing) on the overflow side until you see a good strong stream of cleaning solution coming from the faucet. The ID of the line coupled with the restrictions in the connector itself restricts the flow of cleaning solution to about 1 gallon every 2.5 minutes, so if you let it run for 10 minutes you have put about 4 gallons through the line and faucet.

kegerator-line.jpg

In addition I built a line cleaner attachment to allow me to clean lines without any connector on them. I was hoping removing the restriction in the coupler would give me a little more volume but after measuring it, it was about the same.

I drilled a 1/2" hole in a PVC plug then threaded the connector into the plug. The other end is a coupling with a barb attachment.

I was at Home Depot when I picked these up so I don't know the Lowes part numbers:
1/4" x 1/4" brass adapter (042805445822) $2.38
2 1/4" x 1/4" brass union flare (098268618679) $1.85
the partnumbers:

line-cleaner-with-plug.jpg

Here's a pic of the system cleaning some lines in my kegerator. Note that I have two lines to clean, that's why there's a line hanging from the center. Yep, my kegerator sits outside in the Texas heat.

kegerator-cleaning.jpg

AUTO SIPHON CLEANING:
For some reason my auto siphon tends to get little pieces of dried wort sediment the tube as well as the cane. To clean the cane simply attach the tube (it's a tight fit) and plug in the pump. After a few minutes I remove the tube from the cane and stick the tubing in the auto siphon and let it run a few minutes to get it completely clean. The auto siphon takes a smaller size tube so I bought 2 adapters to allow the 3/4" connector on the manifold to attach to the tube for the siphon cane.

Here's the part numbers:
A-193B (Watts) 1/4" ID X 1/2" MIP (brass) PN:25037
LASCO 439-101RMC BUSHING THREADED 3/4 X 1/2 (plastic)PN:23832 $1.26
You will also need some 1/4" ID line (it's a tight fit but you can slide it on the cane about 1/4 which is plenty). PN:443437

GENERAL OPERATIONAL NOTES: The way the manifold sets on the pump causes it to be heavier on one side allowing the pump to tip to one side. I remedied this by adding a short piece of PVC with the end cut at an angle. When the pumps wants to tip, the PVC keeps it in balance. Note the angle cut in the tube to allow the water to flow unrestricted.

overflow.jpg

There's a lot of pressure when the pump is running so you will have to play with the valves to allow sufficient water flow and not cause pump problems. Be sure to add enough water so the pump does not cavitate.

Everything stores inside the tub when not in use:

storage.jpg

I hated cleaning kegs and the corny tubes in the keg before I built this system. Now I add some Oxiclean and water and let it run while I'm doing other things. When everything is clean, I run water through the system and finally add some Starsan and let that circulate.

Being able to clean while I'm doing other things is a big plus.

This system can be as versatile as you want it. Just add some more barbs and connect whatever you want to clean.

Last edited:
Very cool. The pump is only $47.86 if you aren't a prime member. Free shipping too.

You are correct on the pump price. The price I quoted ($51.81) was through Amazon Prime but included the 8.25% taxes for the state of Texas.

Your machine is a serious, serious commitment to vessel cleaning! Congrats and kudos to you!

Can you explain the corny tube cleaner and what you are actually cleaning?

Are you attaching the posts from the keg to the connectors to clean them out or are you just cleaning the lines by attaching them to the manifold?

thanks

Are you attaching the posts from the keg to the connectors to clean them out or are you just cleaning the lines by attaching them to the manifold?

I attach the ball lock connectors directly to the keg and keep the center post attached at the same time. That way I get plenty of cleaning power inside the keg via the center tube as well as running cleaning solution through the corny tubes via the ball lock connectors at the same time.

This way I don't have to remove the corny tubes and run a tube cleaning brush through them.

On the corny cleaning topic...Do you know if the cleaning solution is getting to the top, and out the end, of the liquid out tube? I would seem like a lot of the flow would go out the gas in line, as there's significantly less resistance. Are you restricting the gas in flow somehow to compensate and force flow up the liquid out diptube? Or is the flow powerful enough to not be a worry and I'm over analyzing this?

Also, could you hook up more than 1 hose for the beer line cleaner in and out of your taps?

Wow! This is a great write up. I was going to purchase Marks keg washer soon but this seems to be more functional, plus its DIY!

A few questions for you. Did you have to purchase the black piece that screws directly onto the pump or was that included? Did you mean to put 9 90 degree elbows on the parts list because I only saw use of 4? Also, do you mind posting pictures on the auto-siphon cleaner in action? I was a little confused by your description.

Thanks again for posting! I cannot wait to build myself one of these :D

Do you know if the cleaning solution is getting to the top, and out the end, of the liquid out tube?

I know the liquid is flowing through the corny liquid side tube because I can see it flowing through the clear Lowes tubing used to connect to the manifold. I use a really 'sudsy' cleaner so it's pretty easy for me to actually see the flow through the tubes. I haven't checked the flow rate but I know it's getting to the top (bottom) of the liquid tube.

I do not restrict the flow through the gas side. The pump is plenty powerful enough to push everything through. You could put the gas connector on one end of the manifold and the liquid on the other end then restrict the flow to the gas side with the manifold valve but I have not found it necessary to do that.

finsfan
Did you have to purchase the black piece that screws directly onto the pump or was that included?

The black piece shown in the picture actually comes with the pump and you do not have to buy it separately.

Did you mean to put 9 90 degree elbows on the parts list because I only saw use of 4?
Yep, that was a typo. I have corrected on the original post. Thanks for letting me know.

do you mind posting pictures on the auto-siphon cleaner in action? I was a little confused by your description.

I will try to take some pics the next time I brew (a couple of weeks). Maybe the following description will help:

If you connect the system to the auto siphon and and then put the cane inside the auto siphon and turn on the pump, the cleaning solution will flow out the bottom of the cane and the pressure will force the cane to pop out of the auto siphon.

I hook up the cane, leave it out of the auto siphon and lay it on the bottom of the tub submerged in the cleaning solution. Then I turn on the pump and let it run a couple of minutes. At that point the cane is clean. I then slip the cleaning tube off the cane and just slide it into the auto siphon till it's near the bottom of the auto siphon. I lay the auto siphon on the bottom of the tub submerged in the cleaning solution and plug in the pump. There is a lot of pressure so the cleaning solution cleans the inside of the auto siphon very well and in just a minute or so. I hope this description helps. Obviously I am not a writer by trade.

DivrDwn
could you hook up more than 1 hose for the beer line cleaner in and out of your taps?

Sure. I used the connector from my old hand pump style cleaner so I only have one line.

The system could handle as many as you want to build. The simplest would be to add three lines and simply plugging them into the manifold. If you want to clean more than 3 taps at the same time you would need some T's.

I have 6 taps so now you have me thinking about building a total of 3 lines to connect to the manifold and putting tees in them to handle the 6 lines. I could connect all six lines, open all the taps and have all the taps drain back into the tub.

finsfan

The black piece shown in the picture actually comes with the pump and you do not have to buy it separately.

Yep, that was a typo. I have corrected on the original post. Thanks for letting me know.

I will try to take some pics the next time I brew (a couple of weeks). Maybe the following description will help:

If you connect the system to the auto siphon and and then put the cane inside the auto siphon and turn on the pump, the cleaning solution will flow out the bottom of the cane and the pressure will force the cane to pop out of the auto siphon.

I hook up the cane, leave it out of the auto siphon and lay it on the bottom of the tub submerged in the cleaning solution. Then I turn on the pump and let it run a couple of minutes. At that point the cane is clean. I then slip the cleaning tube off the cane and just slide it into the auto siphon till it's near the bottom of the auto siphon. I lay the auto siphon on the bottom of the tub submerged in the cleaning solution and plug in the pump. There is a lot of pressure so the cleaning solution cleans the inside of the auto siphon very well and in just a minute or so. I hope this description helps. Obviously I am not a writer by trade.

You answered all my questions, thank you!

Great write up!

One more adapter you may need.... if you have a plate chiller, make a hose that you can attach to the pump and your plate chiller. I'm now doing an extended flush of my therminator plate chiller with my keg cleaner pump.

Well, gotta say thanks for the parts list. I received my pump earlier this week. Ran to the parts store yesterday and got it all put together.

Did a trial run on a keg, ferm bucket and BK. The carboys I recently bought had to small of a neck for the 3/4" cap with holes drilled, to fit into. Only thing I did different was drill more (smaller) holes into the side of the pipe that goes into the keg. About 3 1/2" from the top I drilled four holes around the pipe angling upwards. Few inches down the same. Again a few more down. Then a couple inches under the last set of holes I drilled four holes shooting straight outward.

The wife and I were able to use the hoses that were setup for the keg connections to clean 9 cases of beer bottles tonight too.

number40fan
The carboys I recently bought had to small of a neck for the 3/4" cap with holes drilled, to fit into
What size were the carboys? I would like to edit my original post to make a note of that so we can keep someone else from having that problem.

The wife and I were able to use the hoses that were setup for the keg connections to clean 9 cases of beer bottles tonight too.
Yep. I didn't mention it but I built some hoses without the connectors for cleaning too. It's nice to have that much cleaning solution pressure and be able to direct it directly where you want it. I use it to clean my brew kettle since I can't turn it upside down because it's wider than the tub.

Glad it is working for you.

Well, gotta say thanks for the parts list. I received my pump earlier this week. Ran to the parts store yesterday and got it all put together.QUOTE]

Yes I second the motion

raysmithtx, thanks for the comprehensive parts list & instructions !!!

can't wait to build one for myself !! :mug:

I think I may be missing something... On the manifold, you have 3 ports facing up, and 1 facing down. Whats the reason for the 1 facing downward?

Thanks and great build, just ordered my pump yesterday! Which actually reminds me of another question, I went with the 1/3 hp Superior pump option, do you see any advantages/disadvantages to that?

Cheers!

raysmithtx, they are 5 gallon carboys. I haven't made another run to the store, but I am sure a 1/2" pipe will fit just fine, leaving plenty of room for run out. I'll drill a bunch of holes in it to help relieve pressures.

wintersabbath21, the one facing down allows you to relieve pressure when using just the two ports on the side that are facing up.

wintersabbath21
On the manifold, you have 3 ports facing up, and 1 facing down. Whats the reason for the 1 facing downward?
Yep, as number40fan said, it's to allow the pump to have enough volume going through the pump in case you are just using restricted lines. For example are not using the center port for cleaning. If you plug off the center port you will definitely see the need for the downward port when you turn the pump on.

I went with the 1/3 hp Superior pump option, do you see any advantages/disadvantages to that?
The only difference might be that you will have a little higher pressure in some situations. The 1/4 HP pump is plenty powerful... but after all this is the DIY forum. Bigger is always better.

Awesome, thanks for the response. Ill give some feedback once I get mine built and see if I run into any unexpected pressure issues with a larger pump

number40fan
they are 5 gallon carboys. I haven't made another run to the store, but I am sure a 1/2" pipe will fit just fine, leaving plenty of room for run out.

I use Better Bottle so the neck of the carboys was large enough for that. I have added info to the OP to add the necessary parts for using glass carboys. Thanks for pointing that out.

Hey raysmithtx,

With your setup, how much water are using now? Do you see a significant savings in water/cleaning solution? I ask because using a plastic tub to accommodate the manifold looks much wider than some of the bucket solutions out there and as far as I understand the pump needs a minimum level of water to run safely. I am by no means looking to save the world here, but I wouldnt mind saving some $$$ on PBW...

Cheers!

wintersabbath21
With your setup, how much water are using now? Do you see a significant savings in water/cleaning solution? I ask because using a plastic tub to accommodate the manifold looks much wider than some of the bucket solutions out there and as far as I understand the pump needs a minimum level of water to run safely. I am by no means looking to save the world here, but I wouldnt mind saving some $$$ on PBW...

I don't know how much less water, cleaner and sanitizer I'm using now but it's certainly less than I was using.

I don't think you can justify the system based on savings on chemicals/cleaners/sanitizers. I built the system for the convenience of being able to have the system do the cleaning chores for me while I do other things.

I did recently find a smaller tub which fits the manifold perfectly so I am using less water and products now. I will post a pic when I get more time.

The tub that I use takes 2.5 gallons of water to keep from sucking air into the pump.

I don't think you can justify the system based on savings on chemicals/cleaners/sanitizers. I built the system for the convenience of being able to have the system do the cleaning chores for me while I do other things

Great point... after the cost of the pump and PVC it sort of negates a lot of the savings I would be gaining from the cost of chemicals. The reward then I guess lies in the instant gratification of potentially using less cleaner per session, convenience and ease of operation and the satisfaction of stepping back and saying, "F*** yeah, I built that!"

I've decided to build one of these and thought that I would take a slight gamble on the pump. Amazon lists some used pumps. Given the number of them, I thought that they probably had a batch of damaged boxes instead of actually used pumps. I bought one for about $38. As I suspected, the pump is brand new and the box was damaged and taped back together.

Latest posts

Back