Investment op.... - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Investment op....

Old 02-28-2006, 06:08 PM   #21
Nate

Recipes 

Nov 2005
Virginia
Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts

Yeah, we're still trying to figure out what they're going to offer... just a brewery, homebrew shop, brewpub, etc. The Virginia ABC site doesn't show any licenses issued to them yet.

Old 02-28-2006, 06:12 PM   #22
Trubbub
Recipes 

Feb 2006

I spoke with someone from the current HBS and they said that they will keep their current location in Norfolk and have only the brewery in williamsburg (at first).

Old 02-28-2006, 06:22 PM   #23
todd_k

Recipes 

Jan 2006
Liked 29 Times on 28 Posts

What makes this friend of yours think he is going to have any more success than Williamsburg Brewing Co.? I haven't heard anything about this place, have they started brewing yet? I'm up for a trip out there if they are, it's only an hour away and I can convince my wife to go outlet shopping and then take a slight detour.

Old 02-28-2006, 06:30 PM   #24
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Knob Noster, Missouri
Liked 88 Times on 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate
I'm also in Williamsburg and would love to see a quality microbrewer do well here. His location isn't the best but if his beer is good, I think he'll have a chance... good marketing helps too. Still not sure what happened to Williamsburg Brewing Co... I've heard 3 different stories about why they closed. As far as St George, my experience with them has been that their beer is good but whoever answers their e-mail appears to have an attitude. Unfortunately, I stopped buying their beer for that reason.
That is extremely unfortunate. I work over there a few times a week now and they are good people.

They hit a marketing gold mine with the recent "Dragon Packs" a sampler of all thier fine regular brews plus one seasonal. The current seasonal is Spring Lager, which I helped bottle this week and put into Dragon Packs today.
Give 'em another try!!!!
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 02-28-2006, 06:43 PM   #25
Trubbub
Recipes 

Feb 2006

I work right across the street from St. George. Their beers can hold their own against anything else out there nationally. The biggest problem, I believe, is their marketing and advertising.

They need to add a brewpub or something to get their name circulating more.....Most people I work with don't even know they exist right across the street.

I don't know how the new Williamsburg AleWerks is going to do.... from what I heard about the old brewery the quality really started to go down-hill over the last few years. I think they still have breweries in other parts of the state though.

Old 02-28-2006, 07:07 PM   #26
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Corrales, New Mexico
Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts

My experience is the brewery game is hard and money is slow in coming. I would say enjoy the hobby and avoid the profession, unless you have a lot of cash and REALLY don't care what happens.

One day another brewery's owner was visiting and after looking around he said, "You know, maybe we'd have been wiser to open a tooth paste factory." In the end a brewery is a way to make a living and if you are lucky you'll have fun in the process.

I personally love making beer that I can simply enjoy.

Old 02-28-2006, 07:21 PM   #27
Jester
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Virginia Beach, VA
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

This is interesting... and its close enough, I can visit once it opens... fun-stuff... Maybe I missed it in reading all the previous posts, but what LHBS is starting this new brewery..??

Jester

Old 02-28-2006, 07:39 PM   #28
Trubbub
Recipes 

Feb 2006

I think the owner of HomebrewUSA out of norfolk, va [ www.homebrewusa.com ] is opening up the brewery.

Old 02-28-2006, 08:02 PM   #29
vtfan99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jun 2005
Williamsburg, Va
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubbub
I work right across the street from St. George. Their beers can hold their own against anything else out there nationally. The biggest problem, I believe, is their marketing and advertising....
I agree. I like just about all of their beers, but I find it hard to track them down in a store unless I go to a specialty place. It would be nice if they were more accessible to the consumer.

On a completely different note, Microbreweries in the state of Virginia are under the gun from the start due to the rather unfriendly licensing fees (toward the small brewer anyway). I would love to see more micros/brewpubs around this area. There certainly is a market for it, but the damn ABC is stacked against them.

Old 02-28-2006, 08:11 PM   #30
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Knob Noster, Missouri
Liked 88 Times on 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubbub
I think the owner of HomebrewUSA out of norfolk, va [ www.homebrewusa.com ] is opening up the brewery.
No, he is just the brewmaster for now. The old ownership group and some additions are funding it, supposedly.

As for the St. George beers--you can buy the beer directly from the brewery as well, and cheaper at that because it doesn't go through the "middle" man.
They also have a tasting room where you can go in and sample everything they brew. If you hurry, you might get to taste the last few sips of the Winter Stout that is on draft. They are open every day of the week and are real nice. The first time I ever went in there they were brewing and the owner gave me a tour.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com