Investment op.... - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Investment op....

Old 01-07-2006, 04:20 PM   #1
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Knob Noster, Missouri
Liked 87 Times on 70 Posts

I don't know specific details about this yet....but it has been raised recently that the owner of my LHBS is going to be head brewer at a brand new microbrewery in Williamsburg, VA. Supposedly they are opening up for investors as well. I'm extremely interested in this, but I'm just not sure--for a couple of reasons. I won't get into that now...but what do you guys think? Would you go for it?
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 01-07-2006, 04:35 PM   #2
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Jul 2005
Barony of Fuquay-Varina, NC
Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

I think the good ol' "invest what you can afford to lose" may apply here. Personally, I think I prefer to keep my love of beer the way it is and not introduce margins, shareholders, etc., unless I was directly involved day-to-day (i.e., full-time jerb).

Incidentally, a brewer at one of the very successful microbreweries down here started out as the owner of my LHBS before selling it to the current owner and taking the brewer position, so this is the second time I've heard this scenario. It looks like it may be an effective way to get into a brewer position.

Old 01-07-2006, 06:05 PM   #3
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Mar 2005
Midwest City, OK
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORRELSE
I don't know specific details about this yet....but it has been raised recently that the owner of my LHBS is going to be head brewer at a brand new microbrewery in Williamsburg, VA. Supposedly they are opening up for investors as well. I'm extremely interested in this, but I'm just not sure--for a couple of reasons. I won't get into that now...but what do you guys think? Would you go for it?
Can't wait to get the inside scoop on this one!
Gone unsung for far too long

Old 01-07-2006, 06:14 PM   #4
BlightyBrewer

Recipes 

Aug 2005
Leicestershire, UK
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a dream to set-up my own commercial microbrewery, but my wife won't let me.

Old 01-07-2006, 07:09 PM   #5
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Nov 2004
Beaumont, Texas
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

i'd look into it and exhaust all the options there. can't hurt to take a peak, right?

Old 01-07-2006, 07:21 PM   #6
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Knob Noster, Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam75
Can't wait to get the inside scoop on this one!
You guys know as much about it right now as I do. Hopefully I can find out some more today when I get grain.

It sounds really interesting but it does have some issues I'd need to REALLY consider before I jumped in. Sam can probably see where I'm headed with this. I have some money to put into it, but do I want to is the question. It sure would be cool though.

I'll keep you al informed!
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 01-07-2006, 08:18 PM   #7
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cheshire, England
Liked 94 Times on 62 Posts

The only thing I'd say is invest in hobbies for fun.
Invest in Business for business!

Old 01-07-2006, 11:17 PM   #8
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts

One of the guys I work with is part owner (small cut I am certain) of a local brewery. I'll chat with him sometime next week and get back to you one way or the other.

I remember the place when they were still painting and the tanks weren't even ordered.

They needed investors and got several doctors and lawyers who basically became little dictators and ruined the whole thing (IMHO).

Personally, I don't like their beer. I've been there once since I've been back from Germany and that was to look for someone. I tried several of their beers then and critiqued each one and all came under the catagory of "sucked". I was VERY displeased. Never been back...and don't plan on it.

Old 01-08-2006, 01:25 AM   #9
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Jul 2005
Poo-Poo Land
Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts

Approach with caution, and look at their business plan. Find out how they calculated their rates of return and breakevens. How would you be an owner? If they issue a full out partnership, you're liable for losses (potentially) vs. offering you stock or even preferred stock.

What kind of return are you hoping to make on your investment? Do you think the market is there to support the place.

Can you afford to lose the money? If not, then STAY AWAY.
Do you think these guys are smart enough to run the place?
How much ownership will you have, and does that include the right to vote on matters like budget?
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 01-10-2006, 07:50 AM   #10
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Knob Noster, Missouri

I got the scoop on this....

It is a new brewery opening up in the old Williamsburg Brewing Co. brewery. Supposedly the specs haven't been worked out for all the equipment and all that, so it is a few months off. As for the investment--they are looking for 4-5 investors for about $50,000 each. That puts me out of the running! He did mention that once they got up and running they may open it up for more investors, for lower amounts. I doubt I'd go for it then either. I think this place has a steep uphill climb ahead of them.

My LHBS owner is definitely going to be the lead brewer-other than that he didn't know much else at this point. He did ask for volunteer help--but I'm not falling into that trap again--I'm going for a part-time job!!!!!!!
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com