American Pale Ale Tired Hands HopHands Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coff

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
s04
Yeast Starter
Normally yes, not necessary for this small beer and dry yeast.
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
4.6 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days 64F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
4-5 day dry hop at room temp
Tasting Notes
http://riverwards.blogspot.com/2014/03/tasting-notes-hopwards-vs-hophands.html
My first batch of this recipe used 20% Oats, it was an amazing beer, I even shared it with Jean from Tire Hands and he enjoyed it. I have since dialed it the Oats back to 15% and its dead on cloned. This beer is however all about the yeast and the dry hop. This is a massive amount of dry hops for a 5 gallon batch but its makes for a super aromatic citrusy quaffable beer. Any expressive english strain will do, I have enjoyed s04 the most so far, with the Yeast Bay's Vermont Ale being almost as good.

This recipe also works amazingly well in a 100% Brett fermentation, I suggest WLP644 Brett Trois.

Here is my initial blog post where I try to figure out the recipe.

Tasting Notes

And here is a thread where others have been sharing their experience.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.57 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.82 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.10 gal
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 4.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 29.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 71.3 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
8 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Ale (3.1 SRM) 85.4 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) 14.6 %
0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [17.50 %] - Boil 60 - 17.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min - 3.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min - 3.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min - 5.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [0.85 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20 min - 0.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [0.10 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20 min - 0.1 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [0.13 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20 min - 0.1 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale S-04
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Day Hop
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 10 lbs 4.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 13.81 qt of water at 162.2 F 150.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 5.60 gal water at 168.0 F

I brewed this three weeks ago, with 15% oats at your recommendation. Bottled on Sunday. The aroma of this is incredible, juicy citrus. I used Conan so it's got that apricot/peach thing in the background as well. Perfect recipe.

This has jumped to the top of my list to brew now that I'm back from visiting the brewery last week. I picked up the ingredients at my LHBS this weekend. I'm definitely looking forward to this!

I will be brewing this today, only need go to store and buy some oats.

Brewed this up today with a few small changes. I went with 15% oat, upped the bittering charge to get me to around 40 ibu and bumped the whirlpool additions to .75 oz. I also used mangrove jacks union Burton yeast (never used it before but it sounds good).

Smelled and looked dead on going into the fermenter. I'll post back on how it turns out. Thanks again for the recipe!

Kegged this up tonight and had a sample...wow! It is dead on to hophands, better in fact because the hops are brighter Imo. This is probably the closest 'clone' beer I have ever had to the original. Well done sir, this beer will be in heavy rotation on my kegerator going forward!

Kegged this up tonight and had a sample...wow! It is dead on to hophands, better in fact because the hops are brighter Imo. This is probably the closest 'clone' beer I have ever had to the original. Well done sir, this beer will be in heavy rotation on my kegerator going forward!

Thats great to hear, its been on tap in my house constantly since I started building the recipe. Sometimes 2 batches on tap at once.

It really is a very simple beer, but its all about the dry hop. Technique in hopping is important to though.

Glad you enjoyed it.

I've got 2 batches of this fermenting - but they're single hopped versions. One batch is mosaic, the other centennial. Can't wait to try it - they're only my 2nd and 3rd brews yet!

I chose this recipe because I wanted something with a simple grain bill and oatmeal in an APA sounds great. I'll let you know in a couple weeks how they come out. Thanks!

I've got 2 batches of this fermenting - but they're single hopped versions. One batch is mosaic, the other centennial. Can't wait to try it - they're only my 2nd and 3rd brews yet!

I chose this recipe because I wanted something with a simple grain bill and oatmeal in an APA sounds great. I'll let you know in a couple weeks how they come out. Thanks!

Awesome, definitely let us know how it turns out.

Im not 100% sure that either of my LHBS carry Amarillo Gold, is there a good substitute for them that might be a bit more common?

Recently brewed this with Mosaic instead of Simcoe.
OG was 1.050 and it finished a bit low at 1.009, and it smelled like tropical juice when I took the final hydro sample.

Looking forward to try this carbed and chilled! I love the simplicity of the grain bill.
I've been cutting back a lot on crystal malts in my Pales and IPAs, so this should fit like a glove!

Thanks for the recipe!

Brewed this 10 days ago and just took a sample hydrometer reading. OG: 1.042, currently at 1.010. I'll give another day or two at close to room temp to see if i can get a few more points before i dry hop.

Question: The sample i took was pretty plain tasting and almost had a lager feel. Will most of the hop flavor come from the dry hop? Should i be concerned? Did anyone else have the same results before the massive 6oz. dry hop?

I'm thinking of adding an extra ounce of hops after the dry hop to the keg as well.

Thanks for any replies.

Quick question on the malt.bill.... I read your other thread about the CMC Pale malt that TH uses. ... what is a suitable replacement for it if I cannot find it?

Thanks

Im glad you took the time to perfect this recipe. I was recently in Harrisburg and tried 6 tired hands beers and loved every one of them. So much , in fact that i went to the pub 2 days in a row.

I will be brewing this on sunday.

Since your at it ; wanna clone
Ancestral
Cat statue
Thesaurus
and saison hands while your on a roll?

Quickly becoming my favorite brewerr..

Thanks again,

i stumbled across this thread while doing some reading about adding oats to an IPA. Coincidentally, I too was influenced by Tired Hands.

Meanwhile, I was reminded about beta-glucanese, and took some time to ponder on how this plays a role in a beer such as HopHands. My verdict so far is that you actually WANT the beta-glucan's to remain, at least to some degree, in order to attain the character and body of that beer. Do you all agree?
At 15% of the grist (per Coff's HopWards recipe), it's probably at the margin of not having to worry anyhow about stuck sparges and such.

My concern though is i'm doing a 4 lb. partial mash for the upcoming IPA i'm planning which will contain flaked oats, they will represent 38% of the mini-mash (will be 16% of total bill). what i do for partial's is dump the grains into a large paint strainer bag, and stick that in the mash pot. Let drip drain after the sacch rest is complete, then transfer to sparge pot (i.e. my boil kettle) for a 10 min stir and soak. it's quick and dirty, but works well for my purposes. anyway, would i need to be concerned about this mash being too gummy? i thought maybe i could do a shorter beta-glucan rest, like say 10 min at 113F to alleviate some of the gum, but i don't want to sacrifice the haze and mouthfeel, defeating the purpose of the oats. i do want those qualities, not looking for crystal clear end product.

Thoughts? I appreciate your feedback.

Coff, i'm hoping you will rejoin this thread and give your first hand experience on this topic. i may follow up with a PM just to nag you. :D

EDIT: further reading leads to further confusion. Is the b-glucan positively contributing to (and necessary for) the body and mouthfeel of HopHands, or is it strictly the proteins exclusive to oats that is providing this?

Just my 2 cents. I know a guy who knows a guy lol. But apparently London III is their go to yeast except for the sours

Talked to a guy at the brewery. They said that the water is treated with calcium chloride. They told me the malts were two-row and oats. Also, other than some hop extract for bitterness, he said all hops were added at flameout and then dry hop.

I adapted to this recipe as best as I understood. I treated the water before mash and put the Columbus in the boil and put an oz. each of the Amarillo, Centenniel, and Simcoe at flameout. I'll let everybody know how this turns out after dry hop.

I also just brewed this. First time using some new equipment and I had some issues. But I cannot wait to start dry hopping.

I ended up using Deer Creek Pale Malt (local PA maltster)

* SRM: 5-6
* Lovibond: 4
* Usage: to 100%
* Moisture: 2.0-4.0%
* Total Nitrogen: 10.9%
* Extract% (dry basis): 80.0-80.7%
* Soluble Nitrogen Ratio: 50.5%

Back