Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How will temperature affect my beer?

Old 06-12-2014, 03:40 PM   #11
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Like others have said, it really depends on what yeast you used. If you can, either look at the kit or ask the place you got it (though it may be too late now). The first thing that comes to my mind when someone says mexican cerveza is Corona which is a lager. If you used lager yeast, 16C will be on the high side (13C is typically the top of the optimal range). This will produce esters and may produce off flavors though some breweries do this (steam beer). If it was an ale yeast 16C is on the low end. Fermentation may take a while to kick off but lower end ferm temps will produce clean beers.

Kegged: Dunkelweizen, Fizzy yellow beer and Pumpkin Ale

Bottled: Nothing

On my list to brew: Stone IPA and some kind of wit

Old 06-12-2014, 04:13 PM   #12
Smellyglove
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22lude View Post
Fermentation may take a while to kick off but lower end ferm temps will produce clean beers.
Maybe in general. But, take s05. Fermentis has now changed the temp-specs to go as low down as 12C. I did two batches @ 12C, and they both tasted fruity/peachy and the aroma was over the top with it. It was like a beer fermented with hubba-bubba.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:07 PM   #13
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smellyglove View Post

Maybe in general. But, take s05. Fermentis has now changed the temp-specs to go as low down as 12C. I did two batches @ 12C, and they both tasted fruity/peachy and the aroma was over the top with it. It was like a beer fermented with hubba-bubba.
Yes US-05 can be fermented lower but there will be a longer lag phase.

I've never heard this before, especially with US-05. A bubble gum flavor comes from a high fermentation and/or stressed yeast not low fermentation. It sounds like either your temps were higher than you thought or the yeast were stressed, maybe not enough O2 or underpitching.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:48 PM   #14
KepowOb
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyurick View Post
You will probably get some fruitiness. I did a lager (dry lager yeast) once at room temp and it had a pronounced pineapple flavor. If you decide to re-brew, there's a lager yeast recommended for warmer temperatures, I think it's WYeast 2278. THere's a video about it on youtube in the Northern Brewer area.
He said he used whatever yeast came with the can, so I'd bet that it was an ale yeast... as others have said, you'll probably end up with some nice results.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:03 PM   #15
peterj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Quote:
I've never heard this before, especially with US-05. A bubble gum flavor comes from a high fermentation and/or stressed yeast not low fermentation. It sounds like either your temps were higher than you thought or the yeast were stressed, maybe not enough O2 or underpitching.
I've definitely gotten a peachy flavor from fermenting US-05 at around 60F. I read a whole thread on here at some point with a lot of people saying the same thing. I try to keep it at 65F to 68F now.
balrog Likes This 
Old 06-12-2014, 06:07 PM   #16
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterj View Post
I've definitely gotten a peachy flavor from fermenting US-05 at around 60F. I read a whole thread on here at some point with a lot of people saying the same thing. I try to keep it at 65F to 68F now.
I was referring more about the bubble gum. I haven't had the experience of getting peachy from US-05 though I have heard about it. I wouldn't say peachy is an off flavor or even an ester flavor. Bubble gum is on the other hand.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:10 PM   #17
peterj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
I was referring more about the bubble gum. I haven't had the experience of getting peachy from US-05 though I have heard about it. I wouldn't say peachy is an off flavor or even an ester flavor. Bubble gum is on the other hand.
Yeah that's true, I've never gotten any bubble gum flavors from it.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:24 PM   #18
WayFrae
Homebrew Enthusiast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 179 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Yes US-05 can be fermented lower but there will be a longer lag phase.

I think he was mainly referring to the peach flavor. Hubba-Bubba has a peach bubble gum

Bottled: Rodeo Clown RyePA | Cascade Pale Ale | Rye Stout | Robust Porter | Nut Brown Ale

Old 06-12-2014, 06:54 PM   #19
peterj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayFrae View Post
I think he was mainly referring to the peach flavor. Hubba-Bubba has a peach bubble gum

Ahhhhh, nice!

Old 06-12-2014, 08:44 PM   #20
Clonefan94
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 223 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:

I use US-05 a lot. Enough so that I've noticed a few things with it. I've found it's definitely best started at around 68 degrees F. Then if it's chilled to the lower 60s, it still produces a pretty clean beer. If I start it lower though and keep it there, in the low 60s, I have noticed a few odd fruity flavors popping through. So now my perfect method seems to be to start it at 68 or so, let it ride for 12 hours, then put the ice packs I use in with it to keep the temps down. This usually drops it to around 64 or so for the next couple of days and it has worked really well for me.

the cooler temps definitely gives some more lag time, I wonder if this is stressing the yeast and still producing the "hotter" flavors, even though it's cool.