How will temperature affect my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simongoodall

Reaction score
Beer is brewing at 16degrees Celsius will this affect the outcome at all? I'm brewing in the coopers home brew kit and I'm making the Mexican cerveza.

16C is towards the lower end of many yeasts desired range. This should produce nice clean flavors (higher temperatures normally produce less desirable flavors).
This lower temperature will slow the yeast down slightly, so it may take slightly longer for the fermentation process to finish.
Your temperature is likely ideal.

That's good news then :) I put the brew on on the 9th and I'm aiming to bottle on the 21st.
thanks for your help mate :)

that sounds like a good time frame, but do be sure to take multiple gravity readings towards the end of your time-frame. As John said, 16c is ideal for most ale yeasts, you should get a good clean beer, but it does slow things down. And depending on the strain, fermentation could take longer than 12 days. My guess is that you're using the Coopers yeast that came with the kit, which I've found to be fast no matter what temp you give it, but take readings to be sure

You will probably get some fruitiness. I did a lager (dry lager yeast) once at room temp and it had a pronounced pineapple flavor. If you decide to re-brew, there's a lager yeast recommended for warmer temperatures, I think it's WYeast 2278. THere's a video about it on youtube in the Northern Brewer area.

Like others have said, it really depends on what yeast you used. If you can, either look at the kit or ask the place you got it (though it may be too late now). The first thing that comes to my mind when someone says mexican cerveza is Corona which is a lager. If you used lager yeast, 16°C will be on the high side (13°C is typically the top of the optimal range). This will produce esters and may produce off flavors though some breweries do this (steam beer). If it was an ale yeast 16°C is on the low end. Fermentation may take a while to kick off but lower end ferm temps will produce clean beers.

:tank:
Fermentation may take a while to kick off but lower end ferm temps will produce clean beers.

Maybe in general. But, take s05. Fermentis has now changed the temp-specs to go as low down as 12C. I did two batches @ 12C, and they both tasted fruity/peachy and the aroma was over the top with it. It was like a beer fermented with hubba-bubba.

:tank:

Maybe in general. But, take s05. Fermentis has now changed the temp-specs to go as low down as 12C. I did two batches @ 12C, and they both tasted fruity/peachy and the aroma was over the top with it. It was like a beer fermented with hubba-bubba.

Yes US-05 can be fermented lower but there will be a longer lag phase.

I've never heard this before, especially with US-05. A bubble gum flavor comes from a high fermentation and/or stressed yeast not low fermentation. It sounds like either your temps were higher than you thought or the yeast were stressed, maybe not enough O2 or underpitching.

You will probably get some fruitiness. I did a lager (dry lager yeast) once at room temp and it had a pronounced pineapple flavor. If you decide to re-brew, there's a lager yeast recommended for warmer temperatures, I think it's WYeast 2278. THere's a video about it on youtube in the Northern Brewer area.

He said he used whatever yeast came with the can, so I'd bet that it was an ale yeast... as others have said, you'll probably end up with some nice results.

I've never heard this before, especially with US-05. A bubble gum flavor comes from a high fermentation and/or stressed yeast not low fermentation. It sounds like either your temps were higher than you thought or the yeast were stressed, maybe not enough O2 or underpitching.

I've definitely gotten a peachy flavor from fermenting US-05 at around 60F. I read a whole thread on here at some point with a lot of people saying the same thing. I try to keep it at 65F to 68F now.

I've definitely gotten a peachy flavor from fermenting US-05 at around 60F. I read a whole thread on here at some point with a lot of people saying the same thing. I try to keep it at 65F to 68F now.

I was referring more about the bubble gum. I haven't had the experience of getting peachy from US-05 though I have heard about it. I wouldn't say peachy is an off flavor or even an ester flavor. Bubble gum is on the other hand.

I was referring more about the bubble gum. I haven't had the experience of getting peachy from US-05 though I have heard about it. I wouldn't say peachy is an off flavor or even an ester flavor. Bubble gum is on the other hand.

Yeah that's true, I've never gotten any bubble gum flavors from it.

Yes US-05 can be fermented lower but there will be a longer lag phase.

I think he was mainly referring to the peach flavor. Hubba-Bubba has a peach bubble gum
product-769461.jpg

:mug:

I use US-05 a lot. Enough so that I've noticed a few things with it. I've found it's definitely best started at around 68 degrees F. Then if it's chilled to the lower 60s, it still produces a pretty clean beer. If I start it lower though and keep it there, in the low 60s, I have noticed a few odd fruity flavors popping through. So now my perfect method seems to be to start it at 68 or so, let it ride for 12 hours, then put the ice packs I use in with it to keep the temps down. This usually drops it to around 64 or so for the next couple of days and it has worked really well for me.

the cooler temps definitely gives some more lag time, I wonder if this is stressing the yeast and still producing the "hotter" flavors, even though it's cool.

I use US-05 a lot. Enough so that I've noticed a few things with it. I've found it's definitely best started at around 68 degrees F. Then if it's chilled to the lower 60s, it still produces a pretty clean beer. If I start it lower though and keep it there, in the low 60s, I have noticed a few odd fruity flavors popping through. So now my perfect method seems to be to start it at 68 or so, let it ride for 12 hours, then put the ice packs I use in with it to keep the temps down. This usually drops it to around 64 or so for the next couple of days and it has worked really well for me.

the cooler temps definitely gives some more lag time, I wonder if this is stressing the yeast and still producing the "hotter" flavors, even though it's cool.

This is good info, thanks for sharing! I'll try this on my next US-05 brew.

Back