Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I would like to learn all I can about the Stout - Portland Oregon

Old 12-12-2007, 10:04 PM   #1
TheGAC
Beer GOOOOD! Napster BAD!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default I would like to learn all I can about the Stout - Portland Oregon

Lads and Lassies,

I just happened to stumble upon this site today, and I like what I'm reading so far. (it's a lot more entertaining than work today)

I would really like to try my hand at brewing in the near future. Right now I'd have to say that I really like Stouts. Nothing like a Guinness to make me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Are there any Stout masters out there that know a good place to go try the different types of stouts? Care to join me and learn me up some knowledge?

When I was in Salt Lake City I had a stout called Captain Bastard's Oatmeal Stout. It seemed smoother than Guinness, and I liked that. Is this a common occurrence for oatmeal stouts?

Basically I would like to learn all I can about the Stout before I (hopefully) learn how to create it at home.

Hit me up sometime if you have any input.
Chuck

Primary: WTF, it's empty!
Secondary: WTF, it's empty!
On-tap: WTF, it's empty!
On-deck: Raging Red Irish Ale

Old 12-12-2007, 10:11 PM   #2
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

I'm not in Portland, but I've heard a lot about it and I know a few guys up there. I'm sure there are some excellent places to sample stouts. I'll ask for recommendations.

By the way, man, you're in frickin' beer heaven up there!

Yes, oatmeal stouts typically are smoother than any sort of Guinness you may find. Actually, "smoother" might not be the right word, but they do have more body, and they typically are a bit sweeter. Try a Young's Oatmeat Stout sometime and compare. That's a fairly easy one to find.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 12-12-2007, 10:15 PM   #3
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Personal opinion here. Guiness to me is the most un-inspiring stout out there. No offense if you like it. I'd try several commercial examples and see which ones you like the best. Oatmeal Stout is generally smoother and creamier than regular stouts. If you want to try a good imperial stout, try North Coast Brewing's Old Rasputin. Another favorite is Left Hand Brewing's Milk Stout.

I would imagine Portland has a few high end beer stores that sell by the bottle. If I were you, I'd check one out and pick up some stouts.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:21 PM   #4
TheGAC

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew
Personal opinion here. Guiness to me is the most un-inspiring stout out there. No offense if you like it. I'd try several commercial examples and see which ones you like the best. Oatmeal Stout is generally smoother and creamier than regular stouts. If you want to try a good imperial stout, try North Coast Brewing's Old Rasputin. Another favorite is Left Hand Brewing's Milk Stout.

I would imagine Portland has a few high end beer stores that sell by the bottle. If I were you, I'd check one out and pick up some stouts.
No offense taken at all. I'm basically asking for other's opinions, and therefor I can't get mad if you say you don't like a certain thing. I can see why you would say that about Guinness. I've noticed that I enjoy it more from the tap than I do from the bottle and/or can.

Thanks for the ideas though, I appreciate it. I'll look around and see what I can find in the way of your suggestions.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:40 PM   #6
TheGAC

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewtopia
Head over to Belmont Station or John's Market to find more bottled stouts than you can shake a stick at.

Great pubs in town where you are surely to find a good stout or two are
The Horsebrass Pub
Concordia Alehouse
The Green Dragon
Bailey's Taproom
Ok, seriously... you guys rock! I just put up a couple of posts a little while ago stating that I'm just a noob, and dudes are popping out of the woodworks to give me info. Thanks!

Old 12-12-2007, 10:41 PM   #7
shaggynuts24
Recipes 

i agree --- this place is incredible

my brain is full from all the information i have gotten over the past 2 days

Old 12-12-2007, 10:45 PM   #8
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I really like stouts as well, but don't like Guinness much. This may be on the sweet side for you, I don't know, but Young's double chocolate stout is pretty tasty.

Also, check out the stout recipe page: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=68

Old 12-12-2007, 10:56 PM   #9
TheGAC

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm sure I could find the answer elsewhere, but since there seems to be a lot of traffic in here so far...

Is a stout any more or less involved than brewing another type?

Don't haze me too much, but I've never brewed before, and have only considered it starting today.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:18 PM   #10
Willy Boner
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Man, I cut my microbrewing teeth on McMenamins Terminater Stout! No a stout is not anymore difficult to brew and is alot more forgiving if you have minor mistakes. Check out Bader beer and wine supplies for recipes as they have both regular stout and an oatmeal stout recipes. About the only difference is you use flaked oats instead of flaked barley. Their Irish Creme Stout was my first brew I ever did,then I just swapped the oats for the barley for my oatmeat stout the next time. If you are in a hoppy mood their Hophead recipe is the clone for Hammerhead which is sort of a darker pale ale I think.