Using Olive oil instead of Oxygen - Page 13 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Using Olive oil instead of Oxygen

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2012, 09:59 PM   #121
seabass07
 
seabass07's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Brothell
Posts: 1,321
Liked 158 Times on 113 Posts


There's no harm. I've been messing around with this for a while and have come to the conclusion that the proper amount is so far below the threshold that would have negative affects that there is no downside. Try it on a recipe you make regularly and see what your results are. I look at it as an additional yeast nutrient that will help assure healthy yeast cells. I've stopped any aeration other than what happens from dumping my wort quickly into the fermentor and have had good results. I use the OO in my starters on a stir plate. I also have no way to quantify how helpful it is other than a good product.
__________________
Fermenter 1: Beer
Fermenter 2: Beer
Fermenter 3: Not Beer
Fermenter 4: Beer

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #122
outside92129
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
outside92129's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Carlsbad, CA
Posts: 1,224
Liked 63 Times on 51 Posts


I've been using it on all my starters for the last year (just like the research paper says) and have had no ill effects. I put in a few drops, and most of the extra floats and gets poured off later.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #123
Firebat138
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
millsboro, delaware
Posts: 654
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts


so what about putting a toothpick in the oil and then in the fermenter.. would that be enough
__________________
Kegs: Fresh Squeezed IPA, Orange Belgian,
Galactic Black IPA, Miller Clone, Coffee Stout, Yoopers Pale Ale, Two Hearted Clone


Fermenting:
20 gal Galactic Black IPA, 10 gal Ypers Pale Ale,
10 gal Belgian WitX2, 10 Gal 2 Hearted Clone,10 gal Samhain Pumpkin, 10 gal Green Flash West Coast IPA
10 gal Coffee Stout,10 Gal Raging Beeatch, 10 Gal Hop Head IPA


 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:05 PM   #124
Denny
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jun 2005
Eugene, OR
Posts: 4,864
Liked 678 Times on 487 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass07 View Post
There's no harm. I've been messing around with this for a while and have come to the conclusion that the proper amount is so far below the threshold that would have negative affects that there is no downside. Try it on a recipe you make regularly and see what your results are. I look at it as an additional yeast nutrient that will help assure healthy yeast cells. I've stopped any aeration other than what happens from dumping my wort quickly into the fermentor and have had good results. I use the OO in my starters on a stir plate. I also have no way to quantify how helpful it is other than a good product.
Sure you do. Do a split batch. Use OO on one half and just pour the other half like you usually do. The do a blind triangle tasting. I bet I know what the results will be.....
__________________
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - "Homebrew All Stars" now shipping!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:55 AM   #125
broadbill
Recipes 
 
Aug 2007
Southern Maine
Posts: 3,935
Liked 534 Times on 361 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Sure you do. Do a split batch. Use OO on one half and just pour the other half like you usually do. The do a blind triangle tasting. I bet I know what the results will be.....
This would be the experiment to do, and one that wasn't actually done in Grady Hull's thesis.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:01 AM   #126
seabass07
 
seabass07's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Brothell
Posts: 1,321
Liked 158 Times on 113 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Sure you do. Do a split batch. Use OO on one half and just pour the other half like you usually do. The do a blind triangle tasting. I bet I know what the results will be.....
Most likely, absolutely no difference. I've had good results with and without it. My point about not being able to test it is due to the fact that there is a lot of aeration going on during the transfer.
__________________
Fermenter 1: Beer
Fermenter 2: Beer
Fermenter 3: Not Beer
Fermenter 4: Beer

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #127
ArcLight
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Millburn, NJ
Posts: 1,385
Liked 126 Times on 96 Posts


>>Most likely, absolutely no difference. I've had good results with and without it. My point about not being able to test it is due to the fact that there is a lot of aeration going on during the transfer.

I don't think the aeration during the transfer is as much as you think. It may be 3PPM, not 8PPM.
If OO is as good as a minute of vigorous shaking/rocking the fermentation bucket/carboy, there probably isn't much advantage.

On the other hand, if OO helps augment the dissolved O2, it might be worth it.

I think a better test is - normal transfer + OO vs active shaking. Also, for higher gravity beers, does the OO help?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #128
mrwilson
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Carmel, IN
Posts: 28

I had been a fan of this for a while until my last two batches were contaminated by the olive oil. I now use a wine whip for aeration.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #129
Denny
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jun 2005
Eugene, OR
Posts: 4,864
Liked 678 Times on 487 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
This would be the experiment to do, and one that wasn't actually done in Grady Hull's thesis.
But it was done by a homebrewer on HBD.org. A guy I know have great confidence in his results.

http://hbd.org/discus/messages/43688/45581.html
__________________
Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - "Homebrew All Stars" now shipping!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #130
Wynne-R
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Texas
Posts: 976
Liked 124 Times on 79 Posts


Denny do you happen to know the conditions on that experiment? All I could find is ‘OO vs 02'. How much oxygen? How much oil? Any incidental aeration? What kind of beer?

If they were going with the nonsense with the toothpick it would be way different than a couple of drops.

Also not sure what sort of flavor ‘clean’ is.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Olive Oil Aeration? RedOctober Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 15 04-13-2013 11:49 PM
Oxygen for airation/can I use industrial oxygen? Mainebrew Equipment/Sanitation 20 10-19-2012 07:45 PM
olive oil? stevenryals Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 15 02-15-2011 07:36 PM
High gravity, oxygen, and olive oil FlyGuy General Techniques 26 01-25-2011 02:44 PM
Olive Oil? RonRock Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 09-29-2008 01:21 AM


Forum Jump