Sour Beer - head retention

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopstar

Reaction score
Recently kegged and force carbonated a sour (consecration clone). The beer tastes great, carbonation is good but the head retention is essentially zero. Anyone else have this problem or can offer some thoughts? Any ideas how I can improve in the future?
Thx!

Can't really help you get good head retention but as a huge sour beer fan I can tell you that while some sours will pour with a decent head they are usually not long lived at all, IME. I have also had many commercial and home brewed sours that lack any head at all with proper carbonation being present. It's never really bothered me so I never really bothered finding out why this is, I just enjoy the beer:)

I agree with Dubo, I have had plenty of sours and can't remember many with lingering head. Even in highly carbed sours the head dissipates fairly quickly.

Depends on the beer. I know the beers I've done with Brett that aren't mega-attenuated typically have fairly normal retention. My proper sours using bugs in addition to Brett (and very high attenuation), the head retention is always zero, or very close to zero. With high carbonation, it foams up fast but drops just as fast. Similar to soda. I've experienced much the same from some (but not all) commercial sours.

I've always assumed that as the bugs munch through dextrins they erase one of the major building blocks of head retention. Hence why I've never seen a sour beer with excellent head retention.

Back