Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > When do you stop tipping the bottle ?

Old 06-12-2014, 12:21 PM   #31
Hello
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 29 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2772 Times on 1892 Posts
Likes Given: 4940

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoughram View Post
There has got to be a place where I can get a jar of Vegemite here in the states...
Do you have a place called World Market? In So. Cal. it is Cost Plus World Market, but they're the same place. They have that as well as spotted dick (which was good when I had it in England), if you're so inclined.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:22 PM   #32
freisste
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 261 Posts

Default When do you stop tipping the bottle ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beekeeperman View Post
Is it possible to strain strain out any disturbed sediment

on the 2nd pour of a 22 0z. growler ?

Maybe through a coffee filter sitting in a small strainer or is

that overkill and need to put on my big boy pants ?

Seems after the 1st 12 0z. pour it gets stirred up a little even being

gentle with it.

A much taller glass would be the other option .

Could also be the beer needs more conditioning time to solidify

the sediment on the bottom more. Only been bottled 1 week.

Its like being a kid in the candy store being my 1st home brew ever.

I remember my first brew. It can be tough to be patient.

When I use 22oz bottles, I pour into two glasses and leave one in the fridge for a little while. Half way through the first glass, I take the second out of the fridge. This way I pour all at once (rims of the glasses touch each other) but I don't have warm beer in the bottom of a giant glass.

Edit: to answer your question, I personally would NOT pour through a filter. Seems like it would be a mess and there are easy ways to get around the issue.

Also just a though: I know a few people who are really into coffee. They claim you should never use a paper filter to make coffee because the paper absorbs oils from the coffee (they use fine steel screens similar to what is used on a French press). I would think this would happen to some extent with hop oils as well, but I doubt it would have a huge effect. Just a though.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:02 PM   #33
Flboy
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello View Post
Do you have a place called World Market? In So. Cal. it is Cost Plus World Market, but they're the same place. They have that as well as spotted dick (which was good when I had it in England), if you're so inclined.

Our walmart carries spotted dick.
Hello Likes This 
Old 06-12-2014, 02:08 PM   #34
KepowOb
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by freisste View Post
I remember my first brew. It can be tough to be patient.

When I use 22oz bottles, I pour into two glasses and leave one in the fridge for a little while. Half way through the first glass, I take the second out of the fridge. This way I pour all at once (rims of the glasses touch each other) but I don't have warm beer in the bottom of a giant glass.

Edit: to answer your question, I personally would NOT pour through a filter. Seems like it would be a mess and there are easy ways to get around the issue.

Also just a though: I know a few people who are really into coffee. They claim you should never use a paper filter to make coffee because the paper absorbs oils from the coffee (they use fine steel screens similar to what is used on a French press). I would think this would happen to some extent with hop oils as well, but I doubt it would have a huge effect. Just a though.
This is a bit off topic... but I was reading an article on coffee saying never to use those fine metal screen thingies for coffee (I still do anyway), because microparticles from past brews are too hard to clean out properly, and over time it'll build up, no matter how good you clean it, and lead to your coffee being too bitter.

I guess coffee nuts can't agree on anything either, so it's not just us homebrewers :P.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:45 PM   #35
beekeeperman
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Problem solved. Found a heavy duty Slim Jim 30 oz beer mug in the storage closet, must have been from my drinkin days.
Takes 2 hands to lift it with 20 oz beer in it.
Stop tipping the bottle at about the 20 oz mark. All is good,
especially good if you frost the mug in the freezer first .