Request: The One The Call Zoe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Medic218

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm just getting the ability to use temp control with a chest freezer and I want to try my hand at lagering.
I really like, but can't get locally, The One They Call Zoe from Hops & Grain and I want to try to clone it.
I've looked and can't seem to find anything viable.

Here is what H&G gas to say about their own beer. Take what you can from it. Obviously you will had to have had the real deal at some point to make a true clone, but I'll take what I can get.
http://www.hopsandgrain.com/our-beers/the-one-they-call-zoe/

If you don't have a clone recipe but do have a tried and true dry hopped pale lager recipe, lay it on me.

Also, FWIW, I'm good with extract or partial mash.

I have no idea how close or far off I am on this to keep that in mind before being too critical.
All the numbers are on point with the original product but who knows about taste?
Guess we'll have to brew and see.

Batch: 5gal
Boil: 6gal
SRM: 5.4
OG: 1.053
FG: 1.013
ABV: 5.24%
IBU: 18.01

7# Vienna
2# Light DME
.35# Sucrose

Tradition .50oz 60min
Tradition .25oz 35min
Tradition .25oz 22min
Cascade 2.50oz Dry Hop
Amarillo 2.50oz Dry Hop

Wyeast 2308 - Munich Lager

As far as the fermentation, I'll have to do some reading up on lagering.

Lagering time is going to be a big question. If it tastes clean and more like a light beer then I would think it's a younger lager. Maybe around 1 month of lager time. If it's bready and complex then I would think it was lagered for at least three months.

I have no idea how close or far off I am on this to keep that in mind before being too critical.
All the numbers are on point with the original product but who knows about taste?
Guess we'll have to brew and see.

Batch: 5gal
Boil: 6gal
SRM: 5.4
OG: 1.053
FG: 1.013
ABV: 5.24%
IBU: 18.01

7# Vienna
2# Light DME
.35# Sucrose

Tradition .50oz 60min
Tradition .25oz 35min
Tradition .25oz 22min
Cascade 2.50oz Dry Hop
Amarillo 2.50oz Dry Hop

Wyeast 2308 - Munich Lager

As far as the fermentation, I'll have to do some reading up on lagering.

How did this turn out?

I haven't given it a whirl yet. I may do it with some ale yeast and see what happens.

Huh, the site claims it's 18 SRM, but light to golden in color? Something off....

I still haven't done this but I'm wanting to brew a Pilsner for a buddy so I may just brew them together and lager them both at the same time.
If I have any luck, I'll report back.

I still haven't tried anything but I just got lagering capability so hope to brew in the next few weeks.
I poked around the net trying to find some more information. Found this from the link below:

"the brew is dry-hopped with Crystal hops from Oregon with a clean malt profile that is pale in color and excitedly smooth. A base of German Pale and Vienna malts gives the beer notes of lightly toasted bread with a clean, crisp and refreshing mouth feel. The beer is then lightly dry-hopped with Crystal to lend just a hint of floral aromatics and a faint citrus flavor."

http://blog.chron.com/beertx/2013/04/hops-grain-zoe-en-route-soon-to-houston-san-antonio/

I can tell you from drinking it that it's hopped much more than with the amount provided. It was almost like sticking your face in a bag of hops, it's so good!

Also, I got sidetracked and haven't been able to look into this too much so thank you for doing some of the leg work for me!
I did e-mail them about yeast selection and they suggested just using a clean American lager strain like 001 or 1056.

I wonder if their NZ hop is Mouteka?

I may have to tweak my recipe some....
As it stands I have:

5.5gal batch

7.5# pale
4.0# Vienna
0.5# Biscuit

Tradion hops at 60, 30 and 20 for about 20 IBU's.

Dry Hop:
3.00oz Cascade
3.00oz Amarillo

001 & 1056 are both Ale strains. I'm thinking WLP840.

Sure, I see how it reads now and that's my mistake.
I was just stating that 001 and 1056 we're clean american strains and I didn't know what the lager numbers were right off the top of my head.

You're in a better position to try it against the real thing once it's done.
Keep us posted and feel free to send me "research" materials.

I brewed this this past weekend, finally, and it went something like this....

7.50# Pale Malt
2.75# Vienna
0.75# Carafoam

60min: 0.25oz Pearle 8.4% AA - 6.9 IBU
30min: 0.50oz Mt. Hood 5.8% AA - 7.3 IBU
5min: 2.00oz Crystal 3.4% AA 4.4 IBU

DRY HOP
1.25oz Parle
1.50oz Mt Hood
1.00oz Crystal

Safelager W-34/70 x2, rehydrated. Took about 48 hours to begin fermenting.
Ferment at 52*
Mash 149* for 60min, BIAB, 60min boil.

FERMENTATION SCHEDULE
52* or 12 days
Ramp up to 68* over two days
Hold 68* for 60 hours
Ramp down to 35* over six days
Hold 35* for lagering

Sorry I forgot all about this thread.
My recipe was:
7.5 lbs Pale 2 row (US)
4 lbs Vienna
1oz Tradition @ 60
1oz Tradition @ 20
WLP840 American Lager Yeast
Then dry-hopped with 2 oz Amarillo & 1oz Citra

Made for a tasty beer and I don't think the hops were too far off. A friend and I sampled Zoe at the same time and there was definitely more lager/pilsner flavor to the real Zoe.
I got a response back on twitter from Hops and Grain and they confirmed there's no pilsner malt but did say they use German pale malt so maybe that makes a difference.
Gonna try to get some and use it next time.

Back