Homebrew and Friends - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Homebrew and Friends

Old 01-07-2006, 02:16 AM   #1
joutlaw
Recipes 

Jul 2005
Jackson, MS
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Man my homebrew has been vanishing lately. I've gone through 10 gallons in 2 weeks and now I only have my "special reserve" sunshine wheat. I made some Light Ale and kegged it, but its not quite ready to drink and a little too light for me. SWMBO will like it at least.

It seems people like coming over to the house a lot more since I started homebrewing... then even more once I started kegging. It's cool though, b/c I'm averaging around 20$/5 gallons. Thats really nothing, not factoring in your time involved though... around 2 - 2 1/2 hours.

I like it though, but just ready for others to start so I can drink their beer and critique it . SWMBO's dad got me started and now he's diggin my stuff more than his, mainly b/c I'll try different styles than he will. But we have "sampling" each others brew. He got me a Tap-a-Draft for xmas so I could bring my up to him since I started kegging

Enough rambling it's Friday!!!

Old 01-07-2006, 02:51 AM   #2
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2005
West Kelowna BC, Canada
Liked 67 Times on 53 Posts

Special Reserve. I like that. Thats going what I'm going to call all my 5 gallon batches from now on. 10 Gallons will be just ..uh...uh.. normal?

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 01-07-2006, 03:12 AM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 155 Times on 145 Posts

I'm a little concerned about the construction of the new garage. The contractor tells everybody that I homebrew (not that he's had any of it yet). This is a guy that drank 2 quarts of hard (10.5 ABV) cider in an afternoon and said he was feelin' it a little. I may have to get a lock for the brewery.

Or I could mix 1 part PRA with 2 parts water and serve that.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-07-2006, 06:44 AM   #4
God Emporer BillyBrew

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Melnibone
Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

It's kind of a dilema for me. I want my friends to try my beer and don't want to be greedy, but they kind of look at it as "free" beer. It only cost me $25 bucks for 55 of them. Only problem is that by the time I give several friends one or two beers, I'm down to about a case. That's just not enough beer for all of my hard work.

Primary :Bloody Nose Porter
Primary 2: Bloody Nose Porter
Secondary: Blackberry Melomel
Secondary 2:air
Bottled : 14 Pound Hammer Cider, Punkin Ale, know ale, Domino wheat
Keg 1: **** Inside Her
Keg 2: IPA
Keg 3: one on a weeknight, two on a weekend IIPA
Future : Ginger Cream Ale,

Old 01-07-2006, 07:05 AM   #5
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

Oct 2005
West Kelowna BC, Canada

Yeah, it's amazing some times peoples attitudes toward things you have made your self. Just because something you made didn't cost to much money doesn't mean it didn't cost you blood, sweat and tears.

Old 01-07-2006, 08:21 AM   #6
Radarbrew
Recipes 

Oct 2005
Alaska, Honey, there's a moose on the back porch again!
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If I may, remind them it's a hobby, and you'll be glad to teach them for a trade, some of theirs for some of yours. Before you know it, you've got a homebrew club.

Old 01-07-2006, 04:09 PM   #7
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Knob Noster, Missouri
Liked 88 Times on 70 Posts

I brew quite a bit because I love the hobby, love experimenting with different styles. However, I can't drink it all. I enjoy having little get-togethers and having all the buds come over and drink off the tap, and float a keg.

I usually try to have 2 on tap all the time--one easy drinker and one "private reserve". The latest private reserve is the smoked porter. It is special--meaning I don't want the swill drinkers coming over and pouring a pint and then dumping 3/4 of it. I love it when my buds bug me to brew up another fat tire batch so they can come over.

I wish more of you guys were closer so we could all try out each others' beers. I'm not boasting, but my last few have improved 100 fold over from when I first started.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 01-07-2006, 04:09 PM   #8
joutlaw
Recipes 

Jul 2005
Jackson, MS
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yep I'm trying to teach them, but its takin a little time I suppose. It's in all good fun though. As long as they help me make it and the cleaning everynow and then... they have earned their brew...

Old 01-08-2006, 12:20 AM   #9
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

Oct 2005
West Kelowna BC, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORRELSE
I wish more of you guys were closer so we could all try out each others' beers. I'm not boasting, but my last few have improved 100 fold over from when I first started.

Yeah. I used to have a British neighbor who brewed, so we were always trying each others beers. I ended up working for his compony for a while early 90's. We built the vehicle health monitors for the docklands rail project. He was the CEO. It used to really piss off my immediate boss (fracking popus prick) when the CEO would come in and start talking brewing with me. haha

Old 01-08-2006, 01:28 AM   #10
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Jul 2005
Poo-Poo Land
Liked 42 Times on 29 Posts

Tell them all that you're happy to share the love, but coming over empty-handed just isn't cool. If they F you by bringing Milly Lite, transfer it into bottles and serve it to them next time as your "Awesome Miller Lite clone".
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.