Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Wort chiller question

Old 06-07-2014, 05:34 PM   #1
Brewbro29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Wort chiller question

Hey guys,
I just built my wort chiller and it came out really nice! I noticed that when I was done my hands had that strong metallic smell on them..

So since I don't want that taste in my finished beer, do I have to boil it in water before I use it? Anyone else have this problem?

Old 06-07-2014, 05:39 PM   #2
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I'm assuming it was a copper immersion chiller, right? I'd make sure to use some sort of degreaser to get it clean, then triple rinse it to get it all off. I can't say for 100% certain, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a light lubricant on the roll of copper from when the wound it up and packaged it.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:58 PM   #3
Brewbro29
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadillacAndy View Post
I'm assuming it was a copper immersion chiller, right? I'd make sure to use some sort of degreaser to get it clean, then triple rinse it to get it all off. I can't say for 100% certain, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a light lubricant on the roll of copper from when the wound it up and packaged it.

Yea it was a copper one haha problem is, it's brew day and I started late haha

Old 06-07-2014, 06:00 PM   #4
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Even just washing it with some dish soap in a bucket would work. I wouldn't want to risk a whole batch tasting metallic for something that would take 3 minutes to soak in some soap and the spray off a couple of times with a hose. You're beer though

Old 06-07-2014, 06:07 PM   #5
Brewbro29
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadillacAndy View Post
Even just washing it with some dish soap in a bucket would work. I wouldn't want to risk a whole batch tasting metallic for something that would take 3 minutes to soak in some soap and the spray off a couple of times with a hose. You're beer though

Alright I'll definitely do that! Thanks!

Old 06-07-2014, 06:19 PM   #6
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 896 Times on 757 Posts
Likes Given: 210

After you rinse the soap give it a spray down with Starsan and another rinse.