Does anyone not use a blow off tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenmcchord

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Last night I brewed an imperial red rye IPA, cooled it to pitching temp and pitched the white labs wlp090 San Diego super. I did brew a yeast starter one day prior, used yeast nutrient in both the starter and the full batch and I use O2 for oxygenation. I normally use a blow off tube but for some reason I went with a regular airlock last night. I had an 8gal batch of IIPA still in the fermentation chamber last night, so I just left the new batch sitting on a bench in the basement. The basement sits around 63-65* unless it's really super hot outside.

Went downstairs this morning, the krausen was really getting high (used a better bottle for this batch, the temp strip on the side read 70*). I transferred it into the fermentation chamber, and set the Johnson control at 67*. Just went down to see how it's doing, and I believe I caught it just as the krausen was really getting into the airlock. Three minutes later I had my blowoff tube installed and it was blowing co2 bubbles in my bucket of star-San, sounding like a motor boat. Whew, that was close! Another hour and I'd be mopping up the bottom of my converted chest freezer.

So I'm wondering, does anyone not use a blow off tube during primary? I suppose if you have a couple gals of headroom in your fermentation bucket then you could conceivably get away without one, but it just seems to me to be an unnecessary risk.

When I used carboys, I used a blowoff tube every brew, regardless of style. Since I got a Speidel, it hasn't been necessary.

I have never used a blow off tube. When I use a hyper active yeast I use my 7.5 gallon fermentor and, as always, temperature control.

I've started to use one very reciently but I use to just brew smaller batches to insure headspace.

Now I figure I should just fill my carboy up as much as I can, add fermcap and let it go. The beers are turning out good and I'd rather have an extra gallon of each batch.

I rarely use a blow off tube. 5.2 gallons in. 6.5 gallon bucket, wort chilled to a few degrees below the low end of optimal for the strain used and allowed to come up to low optimal on its own. I raise it later to finish up.

It appears that pitching cooler and keeping it cool during those first few days makes quite a bit of difference in controlling the activity level.

I don't use one. They seem hard to keep clean. Mainly use cooler ferments with thermowell, krauesen rarely exceeds a couple inches.

I used a blow off tube once. It was in the summer, and I was fermenting a wheat beer at 70 degrees.

I generally use a big bucket for primary, and have never had krausen get more than a couple of inches or so above the beer line except for that one time. I think it was in August of 2006 that I used a blow off tube, but I can't remember for sure.

I've only used a blow off tube once and that was because I had very little head space left and in under 24 hours it was on my kitchen floor. As a precaution I used it on my next brew but didn't need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just use the normal 3 piece air locks. I have had blow up issues, particularly with the Ringwood, hefe, and German ale strains. Now I use FermencapS and have never thought about blowouts again. Blow off tubes can still clog and become fouled, so I think foam control can fix that issue entirely.

I don't usually use one unless it's a big beer. my conical has the blow-off fittings, so I just use it. but I've had 4 gallons of Imperial Stout & ABW need one in a 6.5 gallon carboy sitting in a 60F room.

I use a blow off tube every time. It's a peace of mind. Sometimes it's bubbling so much it's in the tube and thank god I used one and sometimes it's so slow that I could have gotten away with an airlock. It's neat to see my blowoff tube full of foam.

If you have enough headspace there is less need. I use Better Bottles so I use a blowoff tube EVERY time.

I usually don't. My last beer, I had 5.8 gallons of dampfbier in a 6.5 gallon bucket with WLP 300 Hefeweizen in it. I used a blowoff and didn't need it. But I was fermenting in the 50s for the first couple days.

20L brews in 30L fermentors. Haven't had any krausen exceed that headspace yet.

I use a 6.5 gallon carboy for my 5.25 gallon batches. I've used a three piece airlock at times and a blow off tube at times. But I've never had any krausen come close to needing the blow off. In fact, its never even gotten to the top of the carboy where the glass starts to slope inward. I ferment at cool controlled temperatures now, but my first batches were just put in the basement with a blanket around the carboy to block light.

I've never used a blowoff tube and have never had beer in my airlock. I'm doing primarily stout and hefeweizen, 20 liter batches in a 30 liter bucket. So yeah, that's about 2 gallons of headspace.

The only thing I primary in small-mouthed vessels now is cider. Everything else primaries in the bucket, and beer doesn't secondary at all.

I used on but it's more because of room needed in my fermentation chamber. The s type or 3 peice sit too high as it would be to tall for my space. I have a cold goods Styrofoam shipping container that's just the right hight for a 6.5 gallon bucket. But I also use fermcap and I don't think I "need" a blowoff tube for mess reasons.

I use an 8.5 gallon brewing bucket for my 5 gallon batches. Haven't had to worry about it.

Ill take my spare 1/2" OD tubing and fit it over my 3 piece airlock post. I'll dunk the end in a gallon of water and wait to be safe. Once fermentation starts to slow, I'll fit it with a fresh sanitized airlock. I had a 1" ID I used for a blowoff, but it was bulky and cumbersome. I like this way better.

Ill take my spare 1/2" OD tubing and fit it over my 3 piece airlock post. I'll dunk the end in a gallon of water and wait to be safe. Once fermentation starts to slow, I'll fit it with a fresh sanitized airlock. I had a 1" ID I used for a blowoff, but it was bulky and cumbersome. I like this way better.

That's the way I do it too, except I don't have room for a gallon jug. So I use old bourbon bottles instead. I've only had one good blow-off; it almost filled the bottle. I capped it and tossed it in the dumpster, and amused myself imagining what the next dumpster diver thought, when he pulled it out....

I never did until I came home to a Better Bottle volcano one time. Now I ALWAYS use one at least for the first 72 hours or so...

I brew mostly 5 gallon batches in 6 gallon buckets, or 10g batches in my conical. I never use a blow-off. I use S-05 dry yeast a lot, and ferment in my temp-controlled chest freezer. Never really had a problem.

I don't use one. I've used basic airlocks or, lately, nothing at all since I've been into smaller batch funky stuff. The basement that I keep all my batches in for primary and secondary tends to keep cool year round.

I always use a blow off tube, since my 6.5 gallon buckets don't fit inside my mini-fridge (poor man's fermentation chamber) with an airlock on top. Someday I'll upgrade to a chest freezer!

It depends on the size of the fermenter I'm using, OG, yeast profile, fermentation temp, etc.

But most of my brews tend to be medium gravity ales and lagers, cool fermented (lower half of a yeast's recommended temp spectrum), with relatively non-violently fermenting yeasts, and I use ferm-cap, so I generally don't ever need a blowoff.

I always use a blow off tube. I'm greedy and fill those fermenters as full as possible. Plus I hate cleaning yeast explosions. Since I started using o2 to aerate, it's become a necessity.

Roed Haus Brewery

Nope. 6.5 gallon carboy. I have only ever had one instance where this was a problem.

I just started using blow-off tube yesterday. Brewed a very BIG imperial stout. I modified an airlock and removed the water from it. Then ran some tubing from the airlock into a half-full growler. The tubing is secured into the growler with the growler lid having holes in it for the CO2 to escape.

I may need one on my California common. I didn't boil off enough fluid (my OG was about 8-10 points low) and therefore have a max of 1 gallon of headspace... I'll keep a close eye on the primary today and if it gets semi aggressive I'll switch to a blowoff tube.

I was using a blow off tube, until I bought a 7.9 gallon wine fermenter... Now I can rest easier about fruit additions during primary.

It was always necessary when using a carboy, especially one too small. I've been using buckets and the blowoff tube seems quite unnecessary these days.

Back