Old 03-08-2008, 02:24 PM   #21
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Someplace, Nebraska
Liked 76 Times on 66 Posts

Well, now it's 3/8, which means it's 3/9 somewhere, so I think yer ok, Yoops. How'd it taste?

Chriso || BJCP Certified || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 08-12-2008, 05:05 PM   #22
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jul 2008
Columbus WI
Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts

No reports for5 months???

Inquiring minds want to know???

145 batches and counting

West Coast Blaster #4 almost go and on tap and a Dbl Chocolate Stout aging/carbing. Brewing East India Porter #4

Old 08-12-2008, 09:21 PM   #23
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 8031 Times on 5610 Posts

Bernie would have to give you the final critique, but I thought it was good. He only gave me one bottle, which I drank in March, so I have to go by my memory here- but I think it was good. Not a perfect clone, though, but now I can't remember my impressions on why not. Maybe more of a hop bite that would be subdued with proper aging!

Old 02-20-2009, 11:39 PM   #24
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006

Making this tomorrow. I'm considering adding some crystal 20L, and maybe adding some victory, or toasting the oats.

Hops should remain the same (if I can find the correct ones in the freezer) and I'll mash high.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:55 AM   #25
s3n8
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Haymarket VA
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Be careful toasting oats yooper and everyone else... I followed some advice i found on here that said 45 - 60 minutes at 350. It smelled not of "oatmeal cookies" but of "chemical fire". I put them in a brown paper bag overnight, but the taste came through in the final product. Toast them lightly, turn often. I would say 20 or 30 minutes tops.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:59 AM   #26
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3n8 View Post
Be careful toasting oats yooper and everyone else... I followed some advice i found on here that said 45 - 60 minutes at 350. It smelled not of "oatmeal cookies" but of "chemical fire". I put them in a brown paper bag overnight, but the taste came through in the final product. Toast them lightly, turn often. I would say 20 or 30 minutes tops.
Thanks for the tips. I toast malt for very short periods (under 15 minutes), just until toasted, so I thought I'd do the same for the oats. I may not, though, depending on how I feel about it in the morning. (Way to, um, toasted, tonight to consider it).

Old 02-21-2009, 05:09 AM   #27
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Someplace, Nebraska
Liked 76 Times on 66 Posts

Cool! I can't wait to hear the results, I only have one bottle of Fat Squirrel left in the cellar from last summer's drive up yonder.

Chriso || BJCP Certified || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 02-21-2009, 05:23 AM   #28
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Eldorado, WI
Liked 148 Times on 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Making this tomorrow. I'm considering adding some crystal 20L, and maybe adding some victory, or toasting the oats.

Hops should remain the same (if I can find the correct ones in the freezer) and I'll mash high.

A couple points:

1. I can't believe you haven't made this yet. I'm drinking from my third ten-gallon batch as I type. It has indeed become a staple in my house. I like it so much I haven't brewed my own Bust-A-Nut in over a year!

2. You're brewing tomorrow????? How come you're not brewing it at Cookie's, hmmmm?????

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 03-14-2009, 09:32 PM   #29
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
A couple points:

1. I can't believe you haven't made this yet. I'm drinking from my third ten-gallon batch as I type. It has indeed become a staple in my house. I like it so much I haven't brewed my own Bust-A-Nut in over a year!

2. You're brewing tomorrow????? How come you're not brewing it at Cookie's, hmmmm?????
Well, I brewed it as I said I would. It's young, but now on tap. A couple of things- I had to use chinook for bittering, as I was out of magnum, nugget and galena. It's still really good, though! I toasted the oats until lightly browned, and I get a pretty toasty/roasted flavor from it along with the roasted barley.

I used nottingham dry yeast, and fermented it cool- not by design, but because my house was very cool. It was at 61-62 degrees throughout fermentation. The next time, I'll use an English yeast and try to ferment in the 68 degree range, because I'd like a little bit of fruitiness.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:49 PM   #30
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Eldorado, WI
Liked 148 Times on 59 Posts

I see you put this in the database. I already gave it a follow-up in there, so consider this brew "tried and true" in there.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett