American IPA Session IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eulipion2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
nope
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 62 F
Tasting Notes
Bright, juicy hops, with firm bitterness.
I've been on a session kick for a few years now. Now it seems like everyone's doing it. I'm a trend setter! I present to you a delightfully hoppy American IPA that clocks in at just 3.9% ABV with a whopping 59 IBUs. Despite the hop wallop this beer is incredibly smooth and pleasant.

6 gallons, 83% efficiency

5 lb Maris Otter
2 lb Weyermann Munich I
.5 lb Briess Caramel 20

2 oz Belma (9.8% AA, pellet) - 15 minutes

1 oz Belma - 5 minutes
1 oz Calypso (13% AA, pellet) - 5 minutes
1 oz Citra (12% AA, pellet) - 5 minutes

1 oz Belma - 0 minutes
1 oz Calypso - 0 minutes
1 oz Citra - 0 minutes

1 packet US-05

1 oz Belma - dry hop, 5 days
1 oz Calypso - dry hop, 5 days
1 oz Citra - dry hop, 5 days

Mash: 156 F for 60 min
Mash-out: 170 F for 15 min
Boil: 60 min
Fermentation: 62 F for 14 days, then kegged.

At 11 oz of hops, this beer is bright and juicy with a firm but smooth bitterness, and a beautiful tropical fruitiness. Belma comes in on the tail end with a touch of melon.

I might consider mashing around 158 for a little more residual sweetness. As it is this beer has nice body and good balance. It's been my experience that beers with Belma seem to have a little fuller body, but I have no idea why. That said, it's great the way it is.

Belma's great! Notes of strawberry and melon, smooth bitterness. If you can get Saranac beers in your area, look for their Wild Hop Pils, which features Belma. It's part of their Can-Do 12-pack.

Belma is available from Hops Direct for pretty cheap.

I've never brewed with Calypso before, but I had a pound and liked the description so I thought I'd throw it in. I've seen at least a few recipes with Citra and Calypso, so I figured it must be alright. Hops Direct has Calypso, too, so order them together to make the shipping worthwhile.

Here's a link to batch of session IPA i brewed recently. It's a good beer, but it needs a bit more character. Looking for pointers, thanks!

http://eastbaybrewing.blogspot.com/2014/07/simcoe-session-ipa.html

I think the thing that makes a low-alcohol hoppy beer work is late additions. For yours, maybe drop the 45 minute addition and focus more on the late additions. The FWH should be fine. Also, maybe trade in some Munich for some of the base malt. It'll give you a little fuller malt profile and balance the hops. Also give a little color, if you so desire.

My recipe has great hop flavor and aroma, with just enough bitterness to say "Hello, I'm an IPA!" without bullying your palate into submission.

How would I go about making this an extract? I have not yet moved into the world of AGB. Thanks.

How would I go about making this an extract? I have not yet moved into the world of AGB. Thanks.

I haven't brewed extract in a long time, so I'm just kinda guessing. The extracts aren't very common, so your LHBS may not have them. You can definitely find them online. Beersmith told me this will give you 6 gallons of 1.039 beer, which is good enough for me.

4 lb Maris Otter LME
2 lb Munich LME
.5 lb Crystal 20L

Hops - same as above
Yeast - same as above

Back