Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Session IPA

Old 05-12-2014, 03:49 PM   #1
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Session IPA

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: US-05
Yeast Starter: nope
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Original Gravity: 1.039
Final Gravity: 1.009
IBU: 59.1
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 5.7
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days @ 62 F
Tasting Notes: Bright, juicy hops, with firm bitterness.

I've been on a session kick for a few years now. Now it seems like everyone's doing it. I'm a trend setter! I present to you a delightfully hoppy American IPA that clocks in at just 3.9% ABV with a whopping 59 IBUs. Despite the hop wallop this beer is incredibly smooth and pleasant.

6 gallons, 83% efficiency

5 lb Maris Otter
2 lb Weyermann Munich I
.5 lb Briess Caramel 20

2 oz Belma (9.8% AA, pellet) - 15 minutes

1 oz Belma - 5 minutes
1 oz Calypso (13% AA, pellet) - 5 minutes
1 oz Citra (12% AA, pellet) - 5 minutes

1 oz Belma - 0 minutes
1 oz Calypso - 0 minutes
1 oz Citra - 0 minutes

1 packet US-05

1 oz Belma - dry hop, 5 days
1 oz Calypso - dry hop, 5 days
1 oz Citra - dry hop, 5 days

Mash: 156 F for 60 min
Mash-out: 170 F for 15 min
Boil: 60 min
Fermentation: 62 F for 14 days, then kegged.

At 11 oz of hops, this beer is bright and juicy with a firm but smooth bitterness, and a beautiful tropical fruitiness. Belma comes in on the tail end with a touch of melon.

I might consider mashing around 158 for a little more residual sweetness. As it is this beer has nice body and good balance. It's been my experience that beers with Belma seem to have a little fuller body, but I have no idea why. That said, it's great the way it is.

Primary: Belma Session IPA

Kegged: Ordinary Bitter; Session Blonde; Rauchbier; Fir tip Maibock; Avery Hog Heaven clone; Brewpastor's Dark Night of the Soul; Perry;

Bottled: Mosaic Session Brett, French Saison; Smoked Wit; Quad; Tripel; Saison Americain; Coffee Saison; Session Saison; Bacon488's Mild

Old 05-13-2014, 01:32 PM   #3
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Belma's great! Notes of strawberry and melon, smooth bitterness. If you can get Saranac beers in your area, look for their Wild Hop Pils, which features Belma. It's part of their Can-Do 12-pack.

Belma is available from Hops Direct for pretty cheap.

I've never brewed with Calypso before, but I had a pound and liked the description so I thought I'd throw it in. I've seen at least a few recipes with Citra and Calypso, so I figured it must be alright. Hops Direct has Calypso, too, so order them together to make the shipping worthwhile.

Kegged: Ordinary Bitter; Session Blonde; Rauchbier; Fir tip Maibock; Avery Hog Heaven clone; Brewpastor's Dark Night of the Soul; Perry;

Bottled: Mosaic Session Brett, French Saison; Smoked Wit; Quad; Tripel; Saison Americain; Coffee Saison; Session Saison; Bacon488's Mild

Old 07-20-2014, 04:55 AM   #4
EastBayBrewing
Recipes 

Default Session IPA

Here's a link to batch of session IPA i brewed recently. It's a good beer, but it needs a bit more character. Looking for pointers, thanks!

http://eastbaybrewing.blogspot.com/2...ssion-ipa.html

Old 07-20-2014, 03:29 PM   #5
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBayBrewing View Post
Here's a link to batch of session IPA i brewed recently. It's a good beer, but it needs a bit more character. Looking for pointers, thanks!

http://eastbaybrewing.blogspot.com/2...ssion-ipa.html
I think the thing that makes a low-alcohol hoppy beer work is late additions. For yours, maybe drop the 45 minute addition and focus more on the late additions. The FWH should be fine. Also, maybe trade in some Munich for some of the base malt. It'll give you a little fuller malt profile and balance the hops. Also give a little color, if you so desire.

My recipe has great hop flavor and aroma, with just enough bitterness to say "Hello, I'm an IPA!" without bullying your palate into submission.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:22 AM   #6
lebucheron
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 31

No hop additions from 60min all the way till 15min?

Old 07-30-2014, 10:40 AM   #7
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebucheron View Post
No hop additions from 60min all the way till 15min?

Yup. You still get all the bitterness due to the larger amount of hops, but it's smoother and blends nicely with the flavor.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:24 AM   #8
melikidabeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

No 60 min additions? Did you get away with just boiling it for 15 mins?

Old 10-25-2014, 01:07 PM   #9
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by melikidabeer View Post
No 60 min additions? Did you get away with just boiling it for 15 mins?
Nope, still boiled for the full 60. If you convert this to an extract recipe you could get away with a 15 minute boil.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:57 PM   #10
gainescd
Recipes 

How would I go about making this an extract? I have not yet moved into the world of AGB. Thanks.