Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Hi Nelson! Nelson Hopped Saison w/Hibiscus

Old 08-11-2014, 03:38 AM   #141
mattmmille
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 942 Times on 569 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

My first taste of my Hi-Nelson Saison w/Hibiscus! I stuck this in the fridge a little while ago and it's only down to 60F, but it is excellent! The color is hard to capture accurately, but it's beautiful almost like a muscadine grape juice. The head is soft and a thin layer stays on the surface...and it's white, with a little pink/purple tinge to it. The carb is light, but appropriate. I think I got this one right! The aroma is also a bit like a fresh wine/light grape juice and the flavor is light, refreshing, and slightly tart, with a little tannin finish that lingers. I keep thinking of fresh muscadines, but not quite as sweet. This is so good at 2 weeks after bottling, I can't wait to taste it again in a month...and two, if any lasts that long! Winner, Fuzzy!!! Cheers!!!
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05267.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	217026   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05268.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	217027  

Old 08-11-2014, 07:38 AM   #142
Hello
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 29 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2889 Times on 1980 Posts
Likes Given: 5132

Matt that looks great. Can't wait to try my bottles.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:48 AM   #143
Hello
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 29 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2889 Times on 1980 Posts
Likes Given: 5132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staylow View Post
OK, so after 5 days on gas, the overwhelming cranberry flavor is subsiding - not much, but a bit. It's still very tart, but now there's just a hint, or suggestion, of a peppery note. Also beginning to get a bit of a fruity aroma. Other than that, it hasn't changed much - yet. I have a feeling it won't be "right" until the two week mark.
I can't say that's really cranberry you're getting. Maybe you're tasting tart and thinking that's the best way to describe it. You'll get tartness from the hibiscus. Do you have any leaves left? Make a tea and you'll see what that is like. Pepper is saison, the yeast is a contributor. Nelson hops also contribute to the complex flavors. It was right for me right away. I get a white wine sort of taste with some earthiness and tart from the flowers. It's not sweet per se but it's not too bitter.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:47 PM   #144
mattmmille
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 942 Times on 569 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello View Post
I can't say that's really cranberry you're getting. Maybe you're tasting tart and thinking that's the best way to describe it. You'll get tartness from the hibiscus. Do you have any leaves left? Make a tea and you'll see what that is like. Pepper is saison, the yeast is a contributor. Nelson hops also contribute to the complex flavors. It was right for me right away. I get a white wine sort of taste with some earthiness and tart from the flowers. It's not sweet per se but it's not too bitter.
Are you familiar with muscadine grapes? Native grapes to the Southeast. That's what I'm getting. They'll be in season within a couple of weeks...already some at the Farmer's Market.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:52 PM   #145
Fuzzymittenbrewing
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1260 Times on 893 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmmille View Post
My first taste of my Hi-Nelson Saison w/Hibiscus! I stuck this in the fridge a little while ago and it's only down to 60F, but it is excellent! The color is hard to capture accurately, but it's beautiful almost like a muscadine grape juice. The head is soft and a thin layer stays on the surface...and it's white, with a little pink/purple tinge to it. The carb is light, but appropriate. I think I got this one right! The aroma is also a bit like a fresh wine/light grape juice and the flavor is light, refreshing, and slightly tart, with a little tannin finish that lingers. I keep thinking of fresh muscadines, but not quite as sweet. This is so good at 2 weeks after bottling, I can't wait to taste it again in a month...and two, if any lasts that long! Winner, Fuzzy!!! Cheers!!!
Great looking example Matt! Glad you like it.
mattmmille Likes This 
Old 08-15-2014, 03:45 AM   #146
Staylow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello View Post
I did taste the tea before I dumped it in my beer, as I'd never had Hibiscus anything before then - it definitely tastes like cranberries, though minus any kind of sweetness. Yes, it is very tart, but lots of things are tart without tasting like cranberries. If you scroll back a page or two, I posted about my tasting at the three day mark - the cranberry flavor was completely overwhelming, to the point that I couldn't taste anything else, at all.

I mentioned the pepper as I was expecting it to be there, since it is a saison. It was certainly there when I tasted the hydrometer sample before adding the tea. Though I'm wondering if I actually taste it at this point, or if I taste because I'm looking for it.

I need to try it again as it's been two weeks today on gas.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:00 AM   #147
Staylow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 62

OK, got another taste. It's come a long ways. It's kinda wine-like, but that's more due to the dryness rather than the Nelson, which I still really don't get. It's still tart, but not so much. The cranberry has been dialed back from 11 to more like a 5 - it's there, and it's assertive, but not overpowering. The peppery note from the yeast comes through better now, and I'm even picking up a slight spicyness from my rye addition.

It's definitely solid, but I think if and when I rebrew this, I'm going to scale the hibiscus back to 2 oz in a quart of water, add to secondary and let it sit for 2 weeks before adding the dry hops.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:49 AM   #148
BUCKNUTS
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1116 Times on 735 Posts
Likes Given: 724

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409363096.229441.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	729.0 KB
ID:	220778a
Uncarbonated sample of my second batch.I decided to add brett b to it because I can never leave well enough alone. This batch is even drier than first batch finishing at 1.002. It is very crisp, dry, tart and delicious even uncarbonated. Definitely another winner I might need to get a 3rd batch brewing soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew
Old 08-30-2014, 03:14 PM   #149
Fuzzymittenbrewing
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1260 Times on 893 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKNUTS View Post
Attachment 220778a
Uncarbonated sample of my second batch.I decided to add brett b to it because I can never leave well enough alone. This batch is even drier than first batch finishing at 1.002. It is very crisp, dry, tart and delicious even uncarbonated. Definitely another winner I might need to get a 3rd batch brewing soon.

Brett B, that sounds very nice!

Old 08-30-2014, 05:21 PM   #150
BUCKNUTS
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1116 Times on 735 Posts
Likes Given: 724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzymittenbrewing View Post
Brett B, that sounds very nice!

I thought it should work well in this beer and it does.