Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Hi Nelson! Nelson Hopped Saison w/Hibiscus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2014, 02:24 AM   #131
mattmmille
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
mattmmille's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Cary
Posts: 1,959
Liked 758 Times on 483 Posts
Likes Given: 1030

Default


Okay, so after getting to the bottling bucket, I only had about 5.25 gallons, so I went with Northern Brewer's recommendation of 5.75oz of corn sugar. All bottled, I came up with 31 regular 12oz bottles and 12 bombers. And I did harvest my Belle Saison Yeast...cold crashed last night. Decanted today and pitched into a new wort and added another harvested jar to it. It's been chugging along all day, so I hope to cold crash it again late tonight and brew a Citra Saison tomorrow. The starter is in the back of the photo, wrapped in a heating pad. And there's 11 bottles of Diet (Truvia) Root Beer there, too...trying something new!
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05127.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	213987  
__________________
There are no small parts, only small actors.
mattmmille is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:37 AM   #132
Hello
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
 
Hello's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 9,330
Liked 2505 Times on 1741 Posts
Likes Given: 4617

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmmille View Post
Okay, so after getting to the bottling bucket, I only had about 5.25 gallons, so I went with Northern Brewer's recommendation of 5.75oz of corn sugar. All bottled, I came up with 31 regular 12oz bottles and 12 bombers. And I did harvest my Belle Saison Yeast...cold crashed last night. Decanted today and pitched into a new wort and added another harvested jar to it. It's been chugging along all day, so I hope to cold crash it again late tonight and brew a Citra Saison tomorrow. The starter is in the back of the photo, wrapped in a heating pad. And there's 11 bottles of Diet (Truvia) Root Beer there, too...trying something new!

Are there holes in that foil?
I think I need to swap a couple 12 oz saisons with you. I know I gave it to you before, or I think I did, but now we can compare! Yes?
How did you make your root beer?
__________________
\_(ツ)_/
Hello is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:25 AM   #133
mattmmille
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
mattmmille's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Cary
Posts: 1,959
Liked 758 Times on 483 Posts
Likes Given: 1030

Default


I used the extract from Atlantic, two tablespoons of sugar, 1/8 t champagne yeast, 20 packets Truvia to make a gallon of the root beer. They say 3 or 4 days at room temp and a couple weeks in cool/dark, refrig before opening.

Definitely up for swapping raison to compare! Needs bottle time, but we can swap any time. I also have someone giving me free fresh cascade hops!
__________________
There are no small parts, only small actors.
mattmmille is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:09 AM   #134
BUCKNUTS
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Delta
Posts: 3,004
Liked 990 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 663

Default


Purchased the ingedients to brew this again. I have brewed 70-ish beers and this is among my favorites. I cant imagine it being better with alterations so i ordered Sorachi Ace hops so I can replicate what I did the first time. This went so fast it has to be moved ahead of other planned brews.


Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew
__________________
2014 National Champions: THE Ohio State Buckeyes
BUCKNUTS is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:43 AM   #135
Fuzzymittenbrewing
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,123
Liked 1256 Times on 892 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKNUTS View Post
Purchased the ingedients to brew this again. I have brewed 70-ish beers and this is among my favorites. I cant imagine it being better with alterations so i ordered Sorachi Ace hops so I can replicate what I did the first time. This went so fast it has to be moved ahead of other planned brews.


Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew
I think I'm going to brew it normal again and a Sorachi version as well.
Fuzzymittenbrewing is offline  
BUCKNUTS Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:33 AM   #136
ChefRex
I once had a thought,
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
 
ChefRex's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Woodbridge
Posts: 6,261
Liked 2842 Times on 1805 Posts
Likes Given: 4177

Default


Rebrewed this on Friday, happily bubbling along
ChefRex is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:29 AM   #137
Staylow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Jefferson City
Posts: 65
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default


Got my first taste today, after 3 days on gas at roughly 12 psi. I know it's early, but I couldn't help myself. Had good carbonation already though!

The head was pink, and the beer color was a deep, yet vibrant, red. Didn't get much aroma wise, couldn't pick out anything particular, kinda nondescript.

Flavor - whoa! Punch me in the face with cranberries! Very dry, and very, very tart. The hibiscus/cranberry flavor overwhelms everything else. There may be just a hint of white grape from the Nelson, but if there is, it blends in and is more or less drowned out by the tart hibiscus. Lingers on the palette for a minute or so.

Honestly, I'm pretty underwhelmed by my initial impression. I tasted the hydro sample when I racked to secondary, before adding the tea. At that point, it tasted like a solid saison, with subtle peppery notes from the yeast. It's still early though, so I'll be tasting and taking notes again at 5, 7, 10 and 14 days on gas to see how it improves. At this point though, I'm contemplating a re-brew further down the line with a greatly reduced tea addition, something like 2 or 4 ounces in a quart of water. I'll report back with further tasting notes.
Staylow is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:45 PM   #138
BUCKNUTS
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Delta
Posts: 3,004
Liked 990 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 663

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Staylow View Post
Got my first taste today, after 3 days on gas at roughly 12 psi. I know it's early, but I couldn't help myself. Had good carbonation already though!

The head was pink, and the beer color was a deep, yet vibrant, red. Didn't get much aroma wise, couldn't pick out anything particular, kinda nondescript.

Flavor - whoa! Punch me in the face with cranberries! Very dry, and very, very tart. The hibiscus/cranberry flavor overwhelms everything else. There may be just a hint of white grape from the Nelson, but if there is, it blends in and is more or less drowned out by the tart hibiscus. Lingers on the palette for a minute or so.

Honestly, I'm pretty underwhelmed by my initial impression. I tasted the hydro sample when I racked to secondary, before adding the tea. At that point, it tasted like a solid saison, with subtle peppery notes from the yeast. It's still early though, so I'll be tasting and taking notes again at 5, 7, 10 and 14 days on gas to see how it improves. At this point though, I'm contemplating a re-brew further down the line with a greatly reduced tea addition, something like 2 or 4 ounces in a quart of water. I'll report back with further tasting notes.
I did the recipe as posted except used Sorachi Ace hops and I can honestly say that while there is definitely a tart crisp flavor from the hibiscus the Saison yeast is there both in the flavor and the aroma. I'm looking forward to re-brewing it because 6 gallons went fast since everybody loved it.
BUCKNUTS is offline  
mattmmille Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:09 AM   #139
mattmmille
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
mattmmille's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Cary
Posts: 1,959
Liked 758 Times on 483 Posts
Likes Given: 1030

Default


I have heard that it gets better after a couple of weeks and even better at a month. I bottled mine 8 days ago...I'll wait until two weeks to open one and evaluate it, but I'm really looking forward to it!
__________________
There are no small parts, only small actors.
mattmmille is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:13 AM   #140
Staylow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Jefferson City
Posts: 65
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default


OK, so after 5 days on gas, the overwhelming cranberry flavor is subsiding - not much, but a bit. It's still very tart, but now there's just a hint, or suggestion, of a peppery note. Also beginning to get a bit of a fruity aroma. Other than that, it hasn't changed much - yet. I have a feeling it won't be "right" until the two week mark.
Staylow is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All-Grain - Nelson Sauvin Dry Hopped Saison Homebrewtastic Belgian and French Ale 46 02-07-2014 11:02 PM
Brewed Yesterday: Nelson Saison jhart94949 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 7 01-28-2014 08:24 PM
Nelson and ...? Rau71 Recipes/Ingredients 2 10-28-2012 06:01 PM
Nelson Sauvin-hopped Belgian Pale dougdecinces Recipes/Ingredients 1 02-18-2012 03:37 AM
Nelson Sauvin Saison? Homebrewtastic General Beer Discussion 16 02-28-2011 09:14 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS