Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Hi Nelson! Nelson Hopped Saison w/Hibiscus

Old 07-28-2014, 02:24 AM   #131
mattmmille
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 758 Times on 483 Posts
Likes Given: 1030

Okay, so after getting to the bottling bucket, I only had about 5.25 gallons, so I went with Northern Brewer's recommendation of 5.75oz of corn sugar. All bottled, I came up with 31 regular 12oz bottles and 12 bombers. And I did harvest my Belle Saison Yeast...cold crashed last night. Decanted today and pitched into a new wort and added another harvested jar to it. It's been chugging along all day, so I hope to cold crash it again late tonight and brew a Citra Saison tomorrow. The starter is in the back of the photo, wrapped in a heating pad. And there's 11 bottles of Diet (Truvia) Root Beer there, too...trying something new!
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05127.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	213987  

Old 07-28-2014, 08:37 AM   #132
Hello
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 28 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2505 Times on 1741 Posts
Likes Given: 4617

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmmille View Post
Okay, so after getting to the bottling bucket, I only had about 5.25 gallons, so I went with Northern Brewer's recommendation of 5.75oz of corn sugar. All bottled, I came up with 31 regular 12oz bottles and 12 bombers. And I did harvest my Belle Saison Yeast...cold crashed last night. Decanted today and pitched into a new wort and added another harvested jar to it. It's been chugging along all day, so I hope to cold crash it again late tonight and brew a Citra Saison tomorrow. The starter is in the back of the photo, wrapped in a heating pad. And there's 11 bottles of Diet (Truvia) Root Beer there, too...trying something new!

Are there holes in that foil?
I think I need to swap a couple 12 oz saisons with you. I know I gave it to you before, or I think I did, but now we can compare! Yes?
How did you make your root beer?

Old 07-28-2014, 11:25 AM   #133
mattmmille
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I used the extract from Atlantic, two tablespoons of sugar, 1/8 t champagne yeast, 20 packets Truvia to make a gallon of the root beer. They say 3 or 4 days at room temp and a couple weeks in cool/dark, refrig before opening.

Definitely up for swapping raison to compare! Needs bottle time, but we can swap any time. I also have someone giving me free fresh cascade hops!

Old 08-04-2014, 01:09 AM   #134
BUCKNUTS
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 990 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 663

Purchased the ingedients to brew this again. I have brewed 70-ish beers and this is among my favorites. I cant imagine it being better with alterations so i ordered Sorachi Ace hops so I can replicate what I did the first time. This went so fast it has to be moved ahead of other planned brews.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 08-04-2014, 01:43 AM   #135
Fuzzymittenbrewing
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1256 Times on 892 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKNUTS View Post
Purchased the ingedients to brew this again. I have brewed 70-ish beers and this is among my favorites. I cant imagine it being better with alterations so i ordered Sorachi Ace hops so I can replicate what I did the first time. This went so fast it has to be moved ahead of other planned brews.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew
I think I'm going to brew it normal again and a Sorachi version as well.
BUCKNUTS Likes This 
Old 08-04-2014, 02:33 AM   #136
ChefRex
I once had a thought,
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2842 Times on 1805 Posts
Likes Given: 4177

Rebrewed this on Friday, happily bubbling along

Old 08-04-2014, 04:29 AM   #137
Staylow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Got my first taste today, after 3 days on gas at roughly 12 psi. I know it's early, but I couldn't help myself. Had good carbonation already though!

The head was pink, and the beer color was a deep, yet vibrant, red. Didn't get much aroma wise, couldn't pick out anything particular, kinda nondescript.

Flavor - whoa! Punch me in the face with cranberries! Very dry, and very, very tart. The hibiscus/cranberry flavor overwhelms everything else. There may be just a hint of white grape from the Nelson, but if there is, it blends in and is more or less drowned out by the tart hibiscus. Lingers on the palette for a minute or so.

Honestly, I'm pretty underwhelmed by my initial impression. I tasted the hydro sample when I racked to secondary, before adding the tea. At that point, it tasted like a solid saison, with subtle peppery notes from the yeast. It's still early though, so I'll be tasting and taking notes again at 5, 7, 10 and 14 days on gas to see how it improves. At this point though, I'm contemplating a re-brew further down the line with a greatly reduced tea addition, something like 2 or 4 ounces in a quart of water. I'll report back with further tasting notes.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:45 PM   #138
BUCKNUTS
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 990 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 663

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staylow View Post
Got my first taste today, after 3 days on gas at roughly 12 psi. I know it's early, but I couldn't help myself. Had good carbonation already though!

The head was pink, and the beer color was a deep, yet vibrant, red. Didn't get much aroma wise, couldn't pick out anything particular, kinda nondescript.

Flavor - whoa! Punch me in the face with cranberries! Very dry, and very, very tart. The hibiscus/cranberry flavor overwhelms everything else. There may be just a hint of white grape from the Nelson, but if there is, it blends in and is more or less drowned out by the tart hibiscus. Lingers on the palette for a minute or so.

Honestly, I'm pretty underwhelmed by my initial impression. I tasted the hydro sample when I racked to secondary, before adding the tea. At that point, it tasted like a solid saison, with subtle peppery notes from the yeast. It's still early though, so I'll be tasting and taking notes again at 5, 7, 10 and 14 days on gas to see how it improves. At this point though, I'm contemplating a re-brew further down the line with a greatly reduced tea addition, something like 2 or 4 ounces in a quart of water. I'll report back with further tasting notes.
I did the recipe as posted except used Sorachi Ace hops and I can honestly say that while there is definitely a tart crisp flavor from the hibiscus the Saison yeast is there both in the flavor and the aroma. I'm looking forward to re-brewing it because 6 gallons went fast since everybody loved it.
mattmmille Likes This 
Old 08-05-2014, 03:09 AM   #139
mattmmille
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I have heard that it gets better after a couple of weeks and even better at a month. I bottled mine 8 days ago...I'll wait until two weeks to open one and evaluate it, but I'm really looking forward to it!

Old 08-06-2014, 03:13 AM   #140
Staylow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 49

OK, so after 5 days on gas, the overwhelming cranberry flavor is subsiding - not much, but a bit. It's still very tart, but now there's just a hint, or suggestion, of a peppery note. Also beginning to get a bit of a fruity aroma. Other than that, it hasn't changed much - yet. I have a feeling it won't be "right" until the two week mark.