Beers of Ireland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h0psnobery

Reaction score
I will be travelling to Ireland at the end of the month. Are there any European beers that I NEED to try? And for that matter, I'm open to suggestions for others adult beverages/food/bars as well. Thanks!

Guiness is a completely different beer over there. So much better. Honestly try anything brewed local you can. It will almost always be better there than here because its fresher.

Tom Crean's was one they promoted as being really fresh. Brewed in Galway, as I remember. There were several others, but I can't recall their names. I do remember they were all delicious.

Try anything you can from Blacks of Kinsale. They make great beer. White Gypsy is another good one. Galway Bay Brewery have pubs in Dublin and Galway that have a good selection of their own and other Irish craft beer. Metalman do a great pale ale thats in a lot of places in the South East. Dungarvan Brewing is another one around there. If you're in Cork Fransiscan Well have a nice brew pub, they've been bought by Miller/Coors now but their beers are still very good.

Where abouts are you visiting/staying? I can tell you where to go if you let me know.

Theres a good phone app for finding craft beer in Ireland called Beoir Finder. Very handy if you are travelling around the country.

If you end up in Galway, ask for a Galway Hooker. You won't be dissapointed. We also visited the Dingle Brewing Co. out on the Dingle peninsula and got Tom Crean's fresh off the tap. Delicious!

I loved Galway. Very cool place. We flew into Shannon and spent 10 days on that coast. To be honest, I did not find that many unique local brews - mainly Guinness, Murphy's, Harps, Smithwicks, etc. I drank a lot (A LOT) of Guinness in those 10 days:) It was a great trip though.

I will be travelling to Ireland at the end of the month. Are there any European beers that I NEED to try? And for that matter, I'm open to suggestions for others adult beverages/food/bars as well. Thanks!

If you like whiskey you ought to dry Bushmill's Black Bush neat or on the rocks.

For great nightly traditional music in Dublin (free) in the Smithfield section of Dublin city called The Cobblestone pub. You can check out their website.
If you are in Co. Clare, O'Connors pub in Doolin has great traditional music too.

OP was correct in saying Guiness tastes a lot different (better) over there.

I liked Galway Hooker. Another good beer is Kilkenny.

If you go to Dublin go the the Porterhouse. They brew some good beers. I consumed a quite a few of their brews. They make a very good oyster stout.

I too will be touring Ireland the end of this month with my wife and 2 other couples. Thanks to those that have offered suggestions as I plan to exercise as many as time will allow during our 12 day trip. I've been to Dublin several years ago on business and can attest that Guinness taste much better in Ireland :). I can't drink it over here.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

My wife and our family will be flying into Dublin and heading counter clockwise around Ireland. We'll go through Belfast, Galway, Killarney, Cork, and Shannon. Thanks to everyone for all the great suggestions. It's going to be one hell of a trip.

Best of luck on your trip, you should have a great time, there is some great bars around the country, there is quite a few pubs now that are taking on new craft beers, look out for some beers from O'Hara's, Trouble Brewing, Galway Bay Brewery, Blacks of Kinsale, Mountain Man brewing,

If your in Galway head out to the Oslo bar in Salthill,
If your in Dublin, you have a great selection already mentioned, but also try the porterhouse pubs, they do alot of their own beers and some guest beers also, great food also, the one on Nassau street is my local.

Safe Trip

The porterhouse pub in Dublin by the Temple Bar area was pretty awesome. Good beers and not a bad meal either. The UK, if you go over there at all, has a crazy amount of craft breweries ("real" breweries as I believe they called them) compared to the size of the landmass. I don't recall how many of them made it to Ireland. But I remember some damn good beers in Ireland too. Just can't recall any names... I'm always terrible at that.

I'm now in Dublin, yea! Did our first pub crawl yesterday fresh off the plane. Running on 2 hours of sleep I was able to stay awake thru 4 Guinness. Hmm, hmm, good. I hate to think how many calories in beer I'll be consuming over next 12 days :-0.

One of the bar keeps gave me a rational explanation for why Guinness taste better here; the freshness and the fact that pubs in Ireland especially Dublin drawing Guinness get a visit every 21 days from a Guinness technician to "clean the tap lines". He said this happens like clock work to be able to serve Guiness on tap.

Having just finished the Beer Chem class I can believe the "freshness" rational. Full bodied stouts that have higher IBUs the isohumulones degrade over time and why they have a shorter shelf life.

I'm now in Dublin, yea! Did our first pub crawl yesterday fresh off the plane. Running on 2 hours of sleep I was able to stay awake thru 4 Guinness. Hmm, hmm, good. I hate to think how many calories in beer I'll be consuming over next 12 days :-0.

One of the bar keeps gave me a rational explanation for why Guinness taste better here; the freshness and the fact that pubs in Ireland especially Dublin drawing Guinness get a visit every 21 days from a Guinness technician to "clean the tap lines". He said this happens like clock work to be able to serve Guiness on tap.

Having just finished the Beer Chem class I can believe the "freshness" rational. Full bodied stouts that have higher IBUs the isohumulones degrade over time and why they have a shorter shelf life.

There is a Guinness quality team and they do maintain the taps very well

In my humble opinion short lines that are well looked after are the cornerstone of a decent pint of Guinness:mug:

Back