Will Lacto Suffer Thermal Shock Like Sacc Does?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
I have a Berliner Weiss that's now been fermenting with lacto only for just over 3 days. I've been keeping it at 100F and it's starting to sour up. Soon, I will pitch my sacc starter. Obviously I need to cool it down, say to 67F.

Question is: If I just crank on the fridge and take my carboy down from 100F to 67F, am I hurting the lacto culture that's thriving in there?

If I should cool slowly, that could add a couple days, maybe, to the lacto's head start.

either way is fine, if you feel better ramping it down slowly there is no harm.

Hey TAK. Love Berliner Weissbier almost as much as I enjoy brewing it. I thought you would have a number of responses to this given the many different options when brewing the style. I can only speak of my experience with Lactobacillus delbrueckii. I have found it to be amazingly resilient. I've only made about 5-6 batches of BW, so by no means an expert. Ordered 2 smack packs this winter in the midst of the polar vortex. Found them frozen solid outside the garage. Made starters, had very nice sourness in only a couple of days. The beer turned out great. I think the bug tolerates much of what you throw at it and I'm sure I've never slowly reduced temp prior to pitching WY1007. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the feedback. Crashing down to the 60's was the original high-level plan. But I didn't give it any logistical consideration until it was crunch time. I'll stick to the plan and crash it down to my sacc fermentation temps.

Back