Flavor loss when using Gelatin for Finning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamursch

Reaction score
Should I expect any flavor loss when using gelatin as a fining in my keg?
I know it will drag anything in suspension to the bottom and this would include any hops flavor as well right?

I gelatine fine my primary, then dry hop in secondary and then keg.

i do this exactly because of fear of flavour loss, whether it would happen or not I don't know. Always been too scared to find out.

I gelatine fine my primary, then dry hop in secondary and then keg.

i do this exactly because of fear of flavour loss, whether it would happen or not I don't know. Always been too scared to find out.

I kinda feel like it might have lost flavor. I tasted it prior to adding to keg, then cold crashing for 24 hours before adding Gelatin and letting sit for another 48.

Tasted last night and it doesn't seem to have the juiciness it seemed to have prior to kegging. I get some of it has to do with the temperature of my first sample being at room temps and the pint is at serving temps, but still?

I might throw some in a spice ball and fire in the keg in hopes of getting it back to where it was before adding the Gelatin.

Anyone have any science to drop on us to clear this up?

i have noticed a little bit of a loss of hop aroma and flavor with more hop forward beers. this can be accommodated, but you have to plan for it IMO.

i have noticed a little bit of a loss of hop aroma and flavor with more hop forward beers. this can be accommodated, but you have to plan for it IMO.

I'm going to answer my own question after having had a "few" of them this weekend. :)

The first few must have contained the gelatin still as they had much less flavor than the ones that followed. I had expected to see a noticeable change from the first 2 pints to the next few but since it's clear I guess not.

I'm going all Gelatin all the time from now on.

Back