Helles Bock DocScott's Maibock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocScott

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP 833
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
6 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 weeks
Tasting Notes
Delicious, clean Maibock
With May right around the corner, I though I would post a great Maibock recipe that I brewed recently.

DocScott's Maibock
9 lbs Pilsner
2 lbs Munich
2 lbs Vienna
0.5lb C-10L

3 oz Hallertau (2.1%AA) @90 min
1 oz Hallertau (2.1%AA) @15 min

WLP 833 (German Bock Lager) - 3L starter - decanted

Single infusion mash at 150*F for 60 min
90 minute Boil. Chilled to 55*F, aerated, and pitched

Primary for 7 days at 52*F. Raise temp to 62*F for 5 days for D-rest.
Transfer off the yeast and lager for 7 weeks at 34*F.

The beer is super clean with a beautiful white head that lasts. Just enough hops to balance and the C10L creates just a whiff of sweetness. Enjoy!

IMG_0450.jpg

Thanks!

Come to Defiant Brewing in Pearl River!

If not for a meeting, its a cool place. The club meets 1st and 3rd weds of every month. And would love to try the Maibock, of course!

I'll see if I can make it to an upcoming meeting! I'm in another club that meets at Growler and Gill, just up the road from Defiant, the last Tuesday of the month. We are planning on doing a brew day this Saturday for "Big Brew Day 2014" assuming the weather holds out. PM me if you want more details!

Sorry to be so slow to respond...
OG: 1.067
FG: 1.012

Still really like this recipe.

Sorry to be so slow to respond...
OG: 1.067
FG: 1.012

Still really like this recipe.

I guess I missed. I only got 1.050

I am a little worried I won't be able to maintain the temp low enough for the next 7 weeks. Fingers crossed hoping for the best

Keep it as low as you can for as long as you can then bottle it. You can continue to lager the bottles in a fridge if you have the space.

Let me know how it turns out. Thanks for trying the recipe!

Brewed this 3/5/16. Did a double decoction mash. Fermented with Wyeast 2206 Bavarian lager @ 50F. Diacetyl rest. Fermentation fully took 25 days! I did under pitch a bit for a lager but it got there eventually. OG 1.065 FG 1.013. Lagered for 7.5 weeks @ 40F. Kegged for 2.4 volumes CO2. Very nice. Mild hop presence. Very clean, light maltiness. Beautiful golden color and white head.

Back