Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > My flip-top bottles aren't full sealing... Help!

Old 12-06-2007, 07:50 PM   #1
Wahoo Wheat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default My flip-top bottles aren't full sealing... Help!

I bought a case of flip-top bottles from LHBS, and after my second batch bottled, i've determined that they must not be sealing consistently. i.e. some bottles are carbonated and others aren't. The gaskets are fine, so it must be a problem with the tops not sealing tight enough. Any ideas on how to remedy this?? Also, if I do remedy it and am able to get the tops to seal tighter, will my brew be alright if I add the appropriate carbonation tab to re-carb??? Any ideas would be appreciated.....

Thanks

Old 12-06-2007, 08:41 PM   #2
Drunkensatyr

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

1st off, how long have they been in the bottles?

Old 12-06-2007, 08:47 PM   #3
trainfever
Recipes 

Could it be that when you added the priming sugar, that you didnt mix it thoroughly and that is whats causing some bottles to be carbonated and others not?

Old 12-06-2007, 08:52 PM   #4
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

First thing I would do is test the seal....fill them with some soda or something similar, seal and shake.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:06 PM   #5
ChemBrew
Recipes 

I agree with brewtOOl, first test the seals.

I have always had trouble with the flip-top bottles that have a plastic stopper that I got from my LBS. Despite changing the seals (I tried both rubber/neoprene) and adjusting the sealing pressure (bending the wire assemble appropriately).

Since then, the only flip-tops I use are the Grolsch and Schwelmer commerial brew flip-tops. Both have a ceramic stopper and seal correctly everytime. Just my experience.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:35 PM   #6
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

I've heard stories about such bottle tops where the hole was drilled too large, resulting in bad seals (i.e., the clamp doesn't hold the lid tight). That might be your problem, but as the others said, you need to test the seal first to see if it's an equipment failure or user failure.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 12-06-2007, 11:10 PM   #7
Dr Vorlauf

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I have noticed that the rubber gasket on Grolsh bottles is much more form fitting. the new gaskeks from LHBS are thinner and not good on the fit. I have yet to try this but I intend to boil an appropriate amount of new gaskets in water ( or at least get them hot ) and then while very hot put them on the bottle, clame them down and allow this "memory" to form.

is this a good idea?

Old 12-07-2007, 03:04 AM   #8
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Vorlauf
I have noticed that the rubber gasket on Grolsh bottles is much more form fitting. the new gaskeks from LHBS are thinner and not good on the fit. I have yet to try this but I intend to boil an appropriate amount of new gaskets in water ( or at least get them hot ) and then while very hot put them on the bottle, clame them down and allow this "memory" to form.

is this a good idea?
Get em from Keystone?

I bought my replacements from there and haven't had a problem them on my swing tops (Fischer, EzCap and some generics)....also re-use them until the wear out.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:30 PM   #9
Wahoo Wheat

Recipes 

Hey Everyone,

thanks for the responses! I have ruled out user error because I bottled 6 of the beers in normal 12 oz bottles (as a test sample) and used the standard cap and capper. All 6 of these beers have been consumed, and all had perfect carbonation. So, when these 6 were finished, I moved onto the flip-top bottles. The first one I opened was fine. The second and third ones were completely flat. This is exactly what happened on my first batch (which was bottled entirely in flip-tops) where 1 out of 3 were carbonated. I have had my suspicions since first bottling as well, b/c the tops don't seem to clamp down that tight when I seal them.......

Any thoughts as to how to save my precious brew? I don't really want to discard it as the flavor is fantastic, and I'd rather not have to wait another 6 weeks for my next batch to be ready!

Also, they have been in the bottles for over 3 weeks.... So, it's not an issue of opening prematurely.

thanks,

RC

Old 12-07-2007, 03:37 PM   #10
Scimmia
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

You can always put the beer into different bottles and add carb tabs, just make sure you transfer the yeast on the bottom of the bottle when you do it.