Help with a school project- Brew Software Questionnaire

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preferred brew logging method?

• Manual

• Mobile

• PC

• Mobile and PC

Results are only viewable after voting.

jpr0930

Reaction score
I recently posted this in the software section but it was brought to my attention it may get more visibility here:

Wondering if I could solicit some help from any of you interested in helping my team with a class project. It is for a Usability Engineering course that focuses on interface design in software applications.

Our chosen project is a brew log (yes I know there are a million!). We don't actually create the program, but we do design the user interface. We are currently in our research phase, trying to grasp what features and tools we crave as homebrewers and how our project can fill in gaps or make processes more efficient. We are also unsure if we want this to be a simpler mobile based app with storage and calc tools, or a more in depth PC software (or both).

I can rattle off all day about what I would want, but we want to hear from you guys too. Just some simple questions below, no need to give it too much thought or get too wordy.

Answer as many or as few as you like.

Thanks in advance to those that respond. :mug:

Brew log Questionnaire

What do you look for in a brew log?

How do you choose a product to aid in logging?

Do you currently keep a manual log?

Do you prefer pen/paper? Why?

Have you considered using/do you already use a software program in your brewing?

If you already use software, do you have any gripes? Are any features missing? Menus/Features confusing?

Scale of 1-5, with 1 being not at all, how tech savvy are you?

Are you a technophobe or science geek (or both)?

What features are a must for you in brewing software?

How often do you brew?

Scale of 1-5, with 1 being not at all, how important is it that software help you with recipe creation?

Would you prefer a mobile based app or computer software? (or both?)

How important is cloud storage?

Any other factors that drive your choice in brewing software?

Thanks again guys.

Cheers!

I recently posted this in the software section but it was brought to my attention it may get more visibility here:

Wondering if I could solicit some help from any of you interested in helping my team with a class project. It is for a Usability Engineering course that focuses on interface design in software applications.

Our chosen project is a brew log (yes I know there are a million!). We don't actually create the program, but we do design the user interface. We are currently in our research phase, trying to grasp what features and tools we crave as homebrewers and how our project can fill in gaps or make processes more efficient. We are also unsure if we want this to be a simpler mobile based app with storage and calc tools, or a more in depth PC software (or both).

I can rattle off all day about what I would want, but we want to hear from you guys too. Just some simple questions below, no need to give it too much thought or get too wordy.

Answer as many or as few as you like.

Thanks in advance to those that respond. :mug:

Brew log Questionnaire

Have you considered using/do you already use a software program in your brewing?

If you already use software, do you have any gripes? Are any features missing? Menus/Features confusing?

How often do you brew?

Scale of 1-5, with 1 being not at all, how important is it that software help you with recipe creation?

Thanks again guys.

Cheers!
Easy to change to record what I want, especially on the fly

Didn't

Yes - I have a MS word document that I use as a template

easy to jot down extra notes, OK if it gets wet or has wort splatter in it. Later I put my notes and numbers into the MS word template to make a more permanent record

Have you considered using/do you already use a software program in your brewing? Beer Smith

If you already use software, do you have any gripes? Are any features missing? Menus/Features confusing? I would not say Beersmith is intuitive. Some things grip me like it does not update prices in a recipe even though you update them on the inventory you buy. It should update prices until brew day. After that freeze them for a historical record.

4.5, been an IT consultant for 17 years.

Middle, not an early adopter just to have it but if I can justify something as helping great.

Beersmith is a pretty good example. Perhaps a little more power on water adjustment

How often do you brew?
Monthly

Scale of 1-5, with 1 being not at all, how important is it that software help you with recipe creation? 5, main thing I use it for

I prefer a full keyboard for things like designing. It would be nice to have mobile access to the recipes though.

Not very other than having mobile access as listed above.

Price, ability to download recipes

Latest posts

Back