TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Default Rauchbockish Thing

At Bird's request, here's what I plan to do on Saturday:

Rauchbockish Thing (until I get a better name)

6.5# Light Munich
4.5# German Pilsner
3.0# Weyermann Rauchmalt
0.5# Medium German Crystal
0.5# Belgian Aromatic (I wanted melanoidin malt, but no joy there)
0.25# Carafa II

0.75-1 oz. Sterling (5.34% AA) (60 mins)
0.75-1 oz. U.S. Perle (7.6% AA) (15 mins)

WLP838 (Southern German)

It'll be somewhere in the bock/doppelbock range, depending on what sort of efficiency I manage. Right now, I plan to double decoct it, but that depends on how early I can get started on Saturday, as we have plans that evening). The actual amount of hops will depend on my efficiency, taste of the wort, and whimsy come brewday. I may very well use Sterling througout, too, instead of Perle (but I love Perle, and I have a pound of it). Water profile will be in the wide area of Munich water, sorta.

This m-f'r will be fairly sweet, but I look to balance that sweetness with both hops and the smoke character. I'm shooting for smoke that is quite there and identifiable, but not bacony (like Schlenkerla, which is wonderful stuff, but not what I want to do). We'll see how it comes out.

I'll come up with a better name once I drink the finished stuff. With any luck, it won't be named something along the lines of "what the #&(% is this $#!+"

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 12-06-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 111

BOY, that looks good. Rauchbier recipes are traditionally kinda similar to Oktoberfest recipes, aren't they? This seems to just kinda take that to the next level. Damn, I bet this will be good!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 12-06-2007, 07:03 PM   #3
Reverend JC
2500 gallons year to date

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Some friends of mine that have managed to find a way to brew on a mass scale and have it distributed have a smoked bock that was f'ing tasty. their beer was more smoke than some would like but what you are planning with only 3lbs I predict is going to be out of this world.

http://www.modernmonks.com

Old 12-06-2007, 07:36 PM   #4
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
BOY, that looks good. Rauchbier recipes are traditionally kinda similar to Oktoberfest recipes, aren't they?
Pretty much. The famous Bamberg "Rauchbier" is pretty much a Maerzen, or even just a dunkel, with some quanity of rauchmalt in it. Schlenkerla and Spezial are the two most famous outside of Bamberg, due to exports. Schlenkerla is the more available of the two, and it's a bacon bomb. I love the stuff, but is like a mug full of liquid bacon and beer (which leaves little question as to why I love the stuff).

I've never had a Spezial, but I understand that it's smoke is more subdued, while still in the forefront. That sounded more like something I would like five gallons of hanging out in my house, so that's what I'm shooting for.

As it's December, I thought I would go for the bock. I understand that rauchbocks are available in Germany, at least seasonally and most likely in Franconia. I've never had one, though, so let's go for it!

TL

Old 12-06-2007, 07:44 PM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

I just brewed a smoked hefeweizen, which is a style that I've heard IS traditional but that I've only had at a local brewpub (and which was one of the best beers I've ever tasted). I need to get that kegged, actually. Traditional rauchbier will be up next.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie

Old 12-06-2007, 07:55 PM   #6
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!

Recipes 

I've never had one of those, although I have heard of them. I'm curious about how the phenols from the smoke work with those from the yeast, and I'd like to try it sometime.

In "Smoked Beers" from the Classic Beer Style series, I read that the phenols in mesquite smoke actually are quite similar from those in a German hefeweizen yeast, so the two might compliement each other well. Geez, I might have to home smoke some malt with mesquite. What a briar patch!

TL

Old 12-06-2007, 07:56 PM   #7
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

I just had a smoked hefeweizen from Schlenkerla. It's like drinking liquid smoke. It just isn't my cup of tea. But some people like it.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:03 PM   #8
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Kinda reminds me of:

Try the new Brewmasters Reserve: Smoked Weissbock. Bamberg, the central town in the Franconia region of northern Bavaria, is home to one of the world’s most unique beer styles – smoked beer or “rauchbier”. The barley malt is dried over beechwood fires, taking on a smoky quality that infuses the beer brewed from it. Smoked lagers are common in Franconia, but there’s a further specialty as well – smoked wheat beer. Only the barley malt is smoked, while the wheat is malted normally. This gives the beer a lightly smoky quality which is a perfect complement to the fruitiness imparted by the weissbier yeast. These beers have inspired us to bring you something more special still – Brooklyn Smoked Weissbock. At the doppelbock strength of 8%, this beer is full-bodied and complex, retaining the light acidity of the wheat balanced against fruit. Underneath is the light beechwood smoke, making this a wonderful beer with to enjoy with food. The palate finishes dry and spritzy. Try it with any pork dish (especially barbecue), traditional Mexican dishes, robust seafood such as monkfish, and Chinese dishes featuring black bean sauce. Malt: German two row smoked barley malt, German wheat malt, Belgian aromatic malts, caramalt. Hops: German Perle ABV: 8%

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/brookly...ck/68713/9661/

Old 12-06-2007, 08:11 PM   #9
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

If I can find the link, there was someone out in California who was selling grain that has been smoked over different types of woods (like apple and cherry). I'm unfortunately still living a smokerless existance so I'm reliant on purchased rauchmalt.

The smoked hefe I had was pretty subtle, which is what I'm going for. I think it was around 15% - 18% rauchmalt.

Tex, I'll play around with bottling from the keg; if I can get it right (and the beer's worthy), I'll send you a couple bottles.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:19 PM   #10
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That sounds like an awesome recipe, but why not use a bock yeast?