What ingredients have you used recently that impressed you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grathan

Reaction score
Have you used an ingredient(s) for the first time recently and thought "wow I need to start using that in a lot more of my recipes"?

We also brewed this in the parking lot last month and in the kit we used an essence of Coconut! I fell in love with it! The Coconut is right at the PERFECT level and the chocolate lingers forever...I love it!

Cheers
Jay

Not a huge hop fan but brewed an American Amber with Amarillo /Centennial hop mix.... my god do I love it.

Torrified wheat and Munton's carapils. I replace about 8oz of malted wheat with torrified wheat. Adds a little more body and some additional complexity. The Munton's carapils is about 20L and I've been using that instead of crystal 20L. It's more complex and rich.

Patagonia Caramel 190L will replace other caramel in darker beers and cocoa husks. Nothing new but loved them in the mash.

I've become a huge fan of Apollo hops. Citra and Amarillo move over.
(Although when blended with the other two, you get a bouquet of killer citrusy depth)

Id love to see that recipe.

This is for a English Pale Ale
12 gallon batch
85% efficiency
Mash at 152*F
1.050 OG
1.012 FG
2 vials wlp002 English 68*

18# Halcyon
1/4# Carastan
1/2# Crystal 120
1/2# Special Roast American

1.5 oz EKG 60 min
3/4 oz EKG 25 min
.5 oz EKG at Flame out

Simple beer HUGE English Flavor

Cheers
Jay

Wyeast Bohemian Lager yeast 2124

Such a sharp bite to it Acetylhyde? Nice and crisp, kinda like kolsch yeast. Glad I reused the yeast for a second batch so I'll have more when this one is gone.

I don't know which or all of the following:

I did a Red X IPA. I used Red X malt, Cherrywood smoked malt. Amarillo, Citra and Simcoe hops none of these have I used before.

I also made a Porter to which I added the liquid from 8 ounces of Papua New Guinea coffee that was cold steeped for a few days. It is awesome. I fear the keg is going to kick soon.

Fuggle hops - they were like little green pellets filled to the brim with a wonderful autumn day.

I go on brewing kicks where I will try and use an ingredient in any recipe I can. Like nelson Sauvin hops, or recently I've been into rye malt big time. Brewed a bunch of rye Ipas and a rye Russian imperial stout. Haven't bottled the rye RIS yet, but can't get enough rye lately. I'll probably find another ingredient soon and try and put it in whatever I can.

Back