Carbonation Question - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Carbonation Question

Old 04-19-2014, 09:57 PM   #1
Sputs10
Recipes 

Mar 2014

Hey guys,

Got a quick question about carbonation. I transferred my 1st homebrew (amber ale) to bottle 2 weeks ago. Is it possible to over carbonate? I opened one for a taste test yesterday and it foamed over instantly and wouldn't stop. Also, it tasted very high in carbonation, but like I said, since this was my first attempt, I'm not sure what to expect. Should I just wait a couple more weeks?? Is there something I can do or is this batch trash? Maybe just over reacting, but if I did screw something up, do you have any idea what?

Thanks in advance!!

Old 04-19-2014, 10:03 PM   #2
Nuggethead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2010
Orofino Idaho
Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts

It shouldn't gush like that after just 2 weeks. How long did you let it ferment. Sounds like there was still some fermentation going on when you bottled. How much sugar did you put in the batch and what temp has it been kept at.
Watch out for bottle bombs....

Old 04-19-2014, 11:06 PM   #3
Sputs10
Recipes 

Mar 2014

That was my thoughts. I let it ferment for 2 weeks and the hydrometer said it was complete. Maybe I made a mistake reading the hydrometer? It has been sitting in the bottles at 64 degrees. I used the recommened amount of corn sugar, whatever came in the kit, I forget exactly how much. Also, I used a dry yeast, and it didn't show any visual signs after day 4-5. So, is this batch ruined?

Old 04-19-2014, 11:06 PM   #4
Sputs10
Recipes 

Mar 2014

Thanks again nuggethead...

Old 04-19-2014, 11:16 PM   #5
NTXBrauer

Recipes 

Sep 2013
Dallas, Texas
Liked 152 Times on 117 Posts

How much wort did you end up with after transferring to your FV?

If you hit your target gravity, and are gushing at 2 weeks in the bottle, then I would look at the amount of priming sugar used. If you primed for 5 gals but I only had 4.5 gals or less, you might have over carbonated. How many bottles did you cap with this batch?

Old 04-19-2014, 11:36 PM   #6
Nagorg
If a frog had wings...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2011
DFW, Texas
Liked 152 Times on 106 Posts

What was your sanitization process prior to bottling? Also, like Nuggethead asked, can you tell us how much priming sugar you used and what your batch size is?

Old 04-20-2014, 12:00 AM   #7
JimRausch
JimRMaine
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Ellsworth, Maine
Liked 235 Times on 207 Posts

Refrigerate them as soon as possible. Cold crash to slow that yeast down and drive more CO2 into solution. But be careful man, Bottle Bombs are bad news.
Hopefully it was just a warm beer with a little too much carbonation and not a dangerous situation.
Drinking: German Pilsner 'Wannabe', Jamaica Mon Ginger beer, Fruit/Moon series, Moose Maple Slobber, RyeCentennial Pale ale, Batch 64 Bock, Spring Snowstorm Porter, Decemberfest lager,Valentine's Irish Red, December in Vienna lager, Sammy Lager,Gunslinger Cranberry Graf, Ben's DoubleAlt, Labor Day Alt,several others

Old 04-20-2014, 12:03 AM   #8
Sputs10
Recipes 

Mar 2014

Thanks guys!! Ill get them in the fridge soon. It was 5 oz. corn sugar and I bottled 50 bottles.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:26 AM   #9
Puddlethumper
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2013
San Joaquin Valley, California
Liked 287 Times on 225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputs10 View Post
Thanks guys!! Ill get them in the fridge soon. It was 5 oz. corn sugar and I bottled 50 bottles.
There's your problem. If the beer was at 60F and you bottled a full 5 gallons (about 53 bottles) you should have used about 3 1/2 oz. of priming sugar. Here's a link to a calculator that will be helpful with future batches:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

I'd suggest chilling them as others suggested and open carefully. May not have bottle bombs at that carbonation level but will definitely be an adventure opening them. Try not to feel too bad about it. Probably everyone on this forum has been through the same thing. I know I have.

Cheers!

All good beers have 4 things in common:

1. A good recipe closely followed
2. Good ingredients
3. Good sanitation
4. Excellent temperature control

------

Old 04-20-2014, 12:51 AM   #10
JimRausch
JimRMaine
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Ellsworth, Maine
Liked 235 Times on 207 Posts

You know, they always package 5oz. and if you use a priming calculator it rarely calls for more than
4.3oz.
I do feel better about your situation after reading you used 5oz. for 50 bottles. That should not be dangerous, assuming you were truly at FG. Just e x t r a foamy. Chill them well. Good Luck!
Drinking: German Pilsner 'Wannabe', Jamaica Mon Ginger beer, Fruit/Moon series, Moose Maple Slobber, RyeCentennial Pale ale, Batch 64 Bock, Spring Snowstorm Porter, Decemberfest lager,Valentine's Irish Red, December in Vienna lager, Sammy Lager,Gunslinger Cranberry Graf, Ben's DoubleAlt, Labor Day Alt,several others