Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Carbonation Question

Old 04-19-2014, 09:57 PM   #1
Sputs10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Default Carbonation Question

Hey guys,

Got a quick question about carbonation. I transferred my 1st homebrew (amber ale) to bottle 2 weeks ago. Is it possible to over carbonate? I opened one for a taste test yesterday and it foamed over instantly and wouldn't stop. Also, it tasted very high in carbonation, but like I said, since this was my first attempt, I'm not sure what to expect. Should I just wait a couple more weeks?? Is there something I can do or is this batch trash? Maybe just over reacting, but if I did screw something up, do you have any idea what?

Thanks in advance!!

Old 04-19-2014, 10:03 PM   #2
Nuggethead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 13

It shouldn't gush like that after just 2 weeks. How long did you let it ferment. Sounds like there was still some fermentation going on when you bottled. How much sugar did you put in the batch and what temp has it been kept at.
Watch out for bottle bombs....

Old 04-19-2014, 11:06 PM   #3
Sputs10
Recipes 

That was my thoughts. I let it ferment for 2 weeks and the hydrometer said it was complete. Maybe I made a mistake reading the hydrometer? It has been sitting in the bottles at 64 degrees. I used the recommened amount of corn sugar, whatever came in the kit, I forget exactly how much. Also, I used a dry yeast, and it didn't show any visual signs after day 4-5. So, is this batch ruined?

Old 04-19-2014, 11:06 PM   #4
Sputs10
Recipes 

Thanks again nuggethead...

Old 04-19-2014, 11:16 PM   #5
NTXBrauer
Prosit!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 117 Posts

How much wort did you end up with after transferring to your FV?

If you hit your target gravity, and are gushing at 2 weeks in the bottle, then I would look at the amount of priming sugar used. If you primed for 5 gals but I only had 4.5 gals or less, you might have over carbonated. How many bottles did you cap with this batch?

Old 04-19-2014, 11:36 PM   #6
Nagorg
If a frog had wings...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 40

What was your sanitization process prior to bottling? Also, like Nuggethead asked, can you tell us how much priming sugar you used and what your batch size is?

Old 04-20-2014, 12:00 AM   #7
JimRausch
Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Refrigerate them as soon as possible. Cold crash to slow that yeast down and drive more CO2 into solution. But be careful man, Bottle Bombs are bad news.
Hopefully it was just a warm beer with a little too much carbonation and not a dangerous situation.
Drinking: Loghouse Honey Porter, February IR,Batch 50 Bock,December Marzen,Black Friday Vienna,Winter Solstice Moon,Ben's Doublealt,Jim's Altbier, Gunslinger Cranberry Graf, Waldo Lake Amber,Apricot moon, La Fin de L'Annee, Das Terminator Dopplebock, several others

Old 04-20-2014, 12:03 AM   #8
Sputs10
Recipes 

Thanks guys!! Ill get them in the fridge soon. It was 5 oz. corn sugar and I bottled 50 bottles.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:26 AM   #9
Puddlethumper
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 248 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputs10 View Post
Thanks guys!! Ill get them in the fridge soon. It was 5 oz. corn sugar and I bottled 50 bottles.
There's your problem. If the beer was at 60F and you bottled a full 5 gallons (about 53 bottles) you should have used about 3 1/2 oz. of priming sugar. Here's a link to a calculator that will be helpful with future batches:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

I'd suggest chilling them as others suggested and open carefully. May not have bottle bombs at that carbonation level but will definitely be an adventure opening them. Try not to feel too bad about it. Probably everyone on this forum has been through the same thing. I know I have.

Cheers!

Beer ----

--- the reason I wake up every afternoon.

------

Old 04-20-2014, 12:51 AM   #10
JimRausch
Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 157

You know, they always package 5oz. and if you use a priming calculator it rarely calls for more than
4.3oz.
I do feel better about your situation after reading you used 5oz. for 50 bottles. That should not be dangerous, assuming you were truly at FG. Just e x t r a foamy. Chill them well. Good Luck!

Drinking: Loghouse Honey Porter, February IR,Batch 50 Bock,December Marzen,Black Friday Vienna,Winter Solstice Moon,Ben's Doublealt,Jim's Altbier, Gunslinger Cranberry Graf, Waldo Lake Amber,Apricot moon, La Fin de L'Annee, Das Terminator Dopplebock, several others