Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > using hop rocket as a filter
Old 04-16-2014, 02:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default using hop rocket as a filter

so a friend of mine uses his hop rocket as a filter before going into his plate chiller using coffee filters. He just crumbles up a few coffee filter and pumps his wort thru it. has anyone else heard of this or tried it?

I asked the guy at the LHBS and he told me he does that same thing, but instead of using coffee filter he just uses rice hulls.

So what do you guys think of either of these techniques?

Old 04-17-2014, 02:31 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I use rice hulls in my hop rocket before my plate chiller and it keeps the hops mostly out of the chiller. sometimes i just whirlpool without going through the chiller, let it rest, then run through the chiller and into the fermenter and that does just fine as well and is one less thing to clog and clean up later.

if you go the rice hull route, make sure to put them in a grain bag and leave the top filter screen in place (the flat one, i remove the hop blocker shaped one). if you don't leave the flat filter in place the bag will plug the exit of the hop rocket.