Crystal 80L Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarsanManiac

Reaction score
I just got a big bag of crystal 80L from someone who had a lot extra on their hands. It's about 2 years old but was stored very well. I've never brewed with it and and I'm looking for some ideas for AG recipes. I thought I would first try a simple recipe of with just 2-row pale malt and crystal, OG 1.050 or so.

What is the maximum % of crystal I should use? I'm looking to go big in order tto get a feel for what this crystal adds, but still have a drinkable beer. I like beers that are malty but not overly sweet, if that makes any sense.

Also, a recommendation for hop and IBU level please, I have Willamette, Simcoe, Centennial and Styrian Goldings on hand.

I'm fairly new to AG, done 2 SMaSH recipes so far. Looking to build recipes from the ground up.

I believe with those ingredients, you can make a nice APA :)

Ok, I’d like to try 10% crystal 80L and 90% 2-row pale. I like a malty beer but definitely want to avoid sticky sweet. If I mash low, say 60C (140F), will it still be sweet because of the crystal, but not malty? If I mash high, say 70C (158F) will it be sweet and malty?

I was planning on making an Irish red this past weekend with 20% 80L and the rest 2 row. Didn't work out since I got shorted a pound of grain on my order but I've read reviews that say it's a fairly good easy recipe. So don't be afraid to go as high as 20%

Thanks Blitz. Do you have a link or 2 that you could share for that Irish Red review? My google fu is a bit off today. Do you recall the mash temperature and hops used?

Mashing @ 140 would be too low IMO.

Malty & Sticky sweet are two different subjects, that get intertwined.

You can have a malty beer, that is relatively dry mouthfeel wise.
Likewise, you can have a malty beer that is cloyingly sweet.

Look around on here for recipes that use C80, there a quite a few.
APA's to Ambers....

Mash from 152-154, and you should be just fine.

The recipe is from an all grain kit that comes from an online HBS. Heres a link where you can read the reviews: http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Iris..._Beer_Recipe_Kit_p/grainkit-irish-red-ale.htm

The recipe is on that same page, it calls for; 8lbs 2 row, 2 lbs crystal 80, 1oz hallertauer at 60 min, single infusion mash 60 min at 152F. Its pretty simple which is why I picked it, I went with WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast.

That's great Blitz, thanks. Lots of positive reviews. I'll go for the 20%, 152-154F, but I think I’ll go 30 to 40IBU.

I don't seem to have a good substitute for Hallertauer in stock. Which would be best out of Simcoe, Willamette, Centennial, Styrian Goldings?

Ok, I’d like to try 10% crystal 80L and 90% 2-row pale. I like a malty beer but definitely want to avoid sticky sweet. If I mash low, say 60C (140F), will it still be sweet because of the crystal, but not malty? If I mash high, say 70C (158F) will it be sweet and malty?

I would never go above 15% crystal malt, particularly a dark crystal like 80L. That recipe is nothing like an Irish red, which uses a bit of roasted barley to get that distinctive dry finish. English hops would be great in it, but German hallertauer I guess is good enough for bittering. If you want to make that, you could use the goldings for bittering and have a similar result.

I would use up to 15% in an American red that is well hopped, but my preference would be a mix of crystal, like 40L and 80L and not straight 80L.

Why don't you try something like an American red since you have the American hops?

Ok sounds good. I'll dial back to 10% crystal 80L, 35 IBU Simcoe hops and call it an American Red. I'm really just trying to get a simple recipe for an enjoyable beer using what I have on hand.

Ok sounds good. I'll dial back to 10% crystal 80L, 35 IBU Simcoe hops and call it an American Red. I'm really just trying to get a simple recipe for an enjoyable beer using what I have on hand.

If you're going with an American red, I'd use some centennial and maybe willamette too!

I'd hop at 60/15/0, using about an ounce at each addition. If you use enough hops, you can even go up to 12-15% for crystal, but I'd probably still keep it at 10% to be safe.

Thanks Yooper. This batch is for learning about my ingredients so I think what I'll do is bitter all of it with one hop, i.e. Simcoe, split it into 3 carboys 15L each, and then dry hop each sub-batch with Simcoe, Centennial and Willamette. Got to keep things interesting!

Perhaps I should bitter with a Centennial instead? I've heard Simcoe is an acquired taste.

Latest posts

Back