Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > IBU corrections: Seperate hop boil?
Old 04-13-2014, 10:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default IBU corrections: Seperate hop boil?

I have an Old Ale (very young) that I think may have a bitter/sweetness imbalance. I under estimated by boil off rate and over shot my OG by .007 (the IBU's were already on the low end of the style). The beer has reached terminal gravity and the sample I took was quite sweet. So this has me wondering about ways to make IBU corrections.

Since hops must to be boiled for isomerization, would it be possible to boil some amount of hops in water (maybe a cup or two), strain, and then add the tea to the finish beer? Is this similar to what some commercial / crafts brewers to with Hop extracts?

Anyone ever tried this? How would one calculate the addition?

Just thinking out loud here.....