Am I a homebrewer? NO! - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Am I a homebrewer? NO!

Old 04-13-2014, 11:55 AM   #21
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2008
, Maryland, The Tax Me State
Liked 529 Times on 402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudbuster View Post
Homebrew: Doesn't the moniker not elicit images of squalor and unsanitary conditions as a result of past media reports? I don't consider myself a "homebrewer". Whether I brew at home or at some event or even if I brew in the street, I am not a "homebrewer" in the classical since of the term. The days of blue ribbon malt hopped extract are long past for me and all modern brewers.
Homebrewers? NO. Artisan brewers? YES. We have access to all modern malts and yeasts and additives and adjuncts necessary to brew with the best commercial brewers. The derogatory term "homebrewer", IMO, should be put to rest. Why are those that chose to make quality bread named artisan bakers instead of homebakers? I for one am just sick and tired of the derogatory image associated with the moniker "homebrewer". We are ever so much more than that. [end rant] . Cheers, fellow artisans ..
Settle down, Francis. (If your to young to have watched "Stripes", you won't get that.....)

People Like This 
Old 04-13-2014, 12:01 PM   #22

I believe it's "Lighten up, Francis."

I'm not a huge fan of the term "homebrewer" myself but I don't get all bent out of shape about it. I often just use the term "amateur brewer."

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 04-13-2014, 12:01 PM   #23
Zuljin
TR Fitness King
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2012
Defiance
Liked 5370 Times on 4562 Posts

I'm with Suds! Mofo artisan with artesian water. And my house is clean and not the least bit squalored. We even have landscaping.

People Like This 
Old 04-13-2014, 12:14 PM   #24
fuelish
Recipes 

Nov 2013
Foothills of the Great Smoky Mtns, TN
Liked 146 Times on 126 Posts

I call myself a "mad scientist" and my "brewhouse" is "Sheldon's Laboratory" ....well, for 5 gallon batches....the one gallon experiments are from the "Skunkworks"

Old 04-13-2014, 12:21 PM   #25
fredthecat
Recipes 

Dec 2009
the world
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

see you on page 99...

but yeah, terminology: i've been making beer for the sake of decent beer at a low price lately. it's taste pleases me but is it artisanal?

on a note connected to this, i'm not necessarily into or make "craft beer" either. are pilsner urquell or fuller's porter craft beers? really doubt it and they'd be ones i'd want to be stuck on a desert island with

Old 04-13-2014, 12:22 PM   #26
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7842 Times on 5495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
Settle down, Francis. (If your to young to have watched "Stripes", you won't get that.....)
Lighten up, frances!

I guess it's too late to return my brand-new Michigan issued license plate?

It says HM BREW.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:23 PM   #27
cooldood

Recipes 

Jan 2013
Belgrade, Maine
Liked 135 Times on 100 Posts

Call me D-bag if you want I don't care. I just make beer and couldn't care less what others think

People Like This 
Old 04-13-2014, 12:26 PM   #28
fredthecat
Recipes 

Dec 2009
the world
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldood View Post
Call me D-bag if you want I don't care. I just make beer and couldn't care less what others think
yeah, i'd say after trying out some real life homebrew clubs i prefer to just do my own thing and never refer to myself with any label. just, "i brew"

Old 04-13-2014, 12:54 PM   #29
hunter_la5
Sheriff Underscore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2012
New Braunfels, Texas
Liked 5758 Times on 3297 Posts

I prefer the term "BIAH" (Brew In A Home), because I am a huge proponent of unnecessary acronyms.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

People Like This 
Old 04-13-2014, 01:07 PM   #30
Dutchbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jul 2013
Lancaster, PA
Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

I am hoping for you a tube video called "Are hipster artisans ruining home brewing". I still crack up with that hipster vid....