Am I a homebrewer? NO! - Page 11 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Am I a homebrewer? NO!

Old 04-15-2014, 01:43 PM   #101
ericbw
Recipes 

Dec 2012
Liked 723 Times on 440 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_WNY View Post
Hey, don't be too hard on PBR. Afterall, if it weren't for beers like that, I might not be here right now trying to brew REAL beer!
Oh, I'm not bagging on PBR at all. It is real beer, and it's my favorite American adjunct lager. And you can't beat the price/value. It's full flavored and crisp. Even thought it's been bought and sold, it still tastes good, which isn't always the case. I'm a big fan of PBR in cans, bottles, tallboys, on draft, whatever. (And anyone who says otherwise should go have a couple before they spout off about it.)

I was referring to the fact that during Prohibition, Pabst sold hopped malt extract for "baking," but also passed along brewing instructions through the mail. It was illegal to brew at home or anywhere during that time. So brewers at home were more likely regarded in the same way as moonshiners would be.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:55 PM   #102
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Mission Viejo, CA
Liked 1335 Times on 744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbw View Post
It was illegal to brew at home or anywhere during that time. So brewers at home were more likely regarded in the same way as moonshiners would be.
As American heroes?

People Like This 
Old 04-15-2014, 03:58 PM   #103
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Liked 7047 Times on 4175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_WNY View Post
Hey, don't be too hard on PBR. Afterall, if it weren't for beers like that, I might not be here right now trying to brew REAL beer!
He was talking about the malt extract. Nothing to do with the beer.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:05 AM   #104
ericbw
Recipes 

Dec 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwarbiany View Post
As American heroes?
Hahahaha!

Old 04-16-2014, 12:37 AM   #105
Flipadelphia
Recipes 

May 2013
Liked 92 Times on 69 Posts

I'm a homebrewer. I brew beer. At home.

troy2000 Likes This 
Old 04-16-2014, 05:34 PM   #106
troy2000

Recipes 

Sep 2013
, California
Liked 475 Times on 284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
If you went up to a professional brewer and said his beer tastes like homebrew what do you think his reaction would be? Do you think he would take it as a compliment or rather as a derogatory comment? I try to make my beer indistinguishable from a commercial brewery.
Of course my first question would be, "why on Earth would you say that to a professional brewer to begin with?"

But I imagine whether he was offended would depend on who said it, and the context in which it was said. Just as it can be either be a compliment or an insult, if someone tells a professional chef his food tastes home-made....

Personally I don't try to make my beer indistinguishable from commercial beer, any more than I try to make furniture that looks like I bought it from IKEA or Ethan Allen. I just work at making my beer taste good, and my furniture attractive and useful.

I think you're beating a dead horse here. Being called a homebrewer isn't an insult, unless you want it to be.
Click image for larger version

Name:	beating-a-dead-horse.gif
Views:	376
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	193652  
That it might not turn stale.

But as for the malt
She forgot to put that.
'This is sober liquor,'
Says little Jack Sprat.
-traditional

People Like This 
Old 04-18-2014, 03:48 AM   #107
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2007
Western Arkansas
Liked 283 Times on 219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipadelphia View Post
I'm a homebrewer. I brew beer. At home.
Then, I guess I'm a Road brewer, 'cause I brew beer in the road. 'course the road belongs to me. Makes no difference.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:04 PM   #108
VladOfTrub
Recipes 

Oct 2011
, Pa
Liked 173 Times on 118 Posts

Since you'd like to be called a brewing artisan, maybe, you'd like to be called a roads scholar, too.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:29 PM   #109
troy2000

Recipes 

Sep 2013
, California
Liked 475 Times on 284 Posts

I guess technically I'm not really a homebrewer. We have a large outdoor kitchen in the rec area at work, and that's where I do my brewing (on my own time, of course). Big double sink, electricity, unlimited ice and RO water, gas range, countertops and tables...

I've gotten a few funny looks and/or comments from co-workers, generally related to rules about alcohol on the premises.

But as I tell them, "Hey. When I carry my carboy out of here, there isn't a drop of alcohol in it. It's just a sweet cereal drink."

Does that make me a work brewer?
That it might not turn stale.

But as for the malt
She forgot to put that.
'This is sober liquor,'
Says little Jack Sprat.
-traditional

Old 04-19-2014, 01:23 AM   #110
ericbw
Recipes 

Dec 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy2000 View Post
I guess technically I'm not really a homebrewer. We have a large outdoor kitchen in the rec area at work, and that's where I do my brewing (on my own time, of course). Big double sink, electricity, unlimited ice and RO water, gas range, countertops and tables...

I've gotten a few funny looks and/or comments from co-workers, generally related to rules about alcohol on the premises.

But as I tell them, "Hey. When I carry my carboy out of here, there isn't a drop of alcohol in it. It's just a sweet cereal drink."

Does that make me a work brewer?
It probably makes you an outlaw. Home brewing is legal. Brewing at a commercial location? Not sure.