forgot to prep my starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icebob

Reaction score
was planning to brew this kit tomorrow. but with all the honey do list, forgot to prep my starter. If I prep it now, will it be too soon to use it in the morning? the only dry yeast I here are safale s-05 and 04, will it be better to use one of those? If I don't brew tomorrow it will e until next Sunday before I will be able to... Thx in advance.

i have stir plate, and nutrient, yeast is wyeast 3068 date of mfg is 1/22/14...

I think it will be fine. In fact I typically underpitch my German hefeweizens on purpose to encourage more ester production. One night on a stir plate will be good enough imo.

I agree. A yeast change will have more impact on flavor than an underpitch. Toss it on the stirplate and happy brewing!

The Hefe I brew has an estimated SG of 1.049. I brew 5 gallon batches. Brewers Friend calculator, with the production date of your yeast, shows an under pitch of 128 billion cells.
A 1 liter starter, using my estimated SG, with 3.6 ounces of DME and using a stir plate would result in 188 billion cells. An over pitch of 16 billion cells. Not much.
With a stir plate you could have a starter finished within 24 hours.
I like to brew Hefes by way over pitching and keeping the temp at the low range of WY3068 to get more clove than banana flavor.
WY3068 requires more head space, or a blow off tube assembly, than other yeasts.

i Think i will give it a try, worst case the starter will be going for 18 hrs, and from past experience, I always set a blow off tube:D

You can always brew and then pitch the next day. If your sanitation is good, it shouldn't be too much of a risk (I think). I've never done it, but it should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

"Wyeast says starters reach their maximum cell density within 12-18 hours" This is from MrMalty.com.. For some reason people think they need to grow a starter for several days, however its just not true according to the yeast manufacturers. Do not use Safale 04 or 05 if you are trying to get a true German hefeweizen character, its all about the right yeast with a hefe!

With a gravity of 49, you don't necessarily need a starter... especially for a hefe.

Personal preference. Imo, you don't really need a starter until your gravity is >55-60. Proper fermentation temps and time will do wonders for your beer with an average pitch rate.

Back