Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Applejack (fractional freezing)

Old 04-16-2014, 04:00 AM   #11
MindenMan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 300 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 50

I have made many batches of apple jack, and have learned a bit doing so. My first batches were low ABV, and that left a large amount of un fermented sugar available. Not only does the alcohol control the freezing temperature, but the amount of sugar also contributes to the freezing temperature. Think sorbet, lots of sugar and won't freeze solid at normal freezer temperatures. The result is a solidly proofed apple schnapps like drink. I used frozen AJC following the directions on the package, and I just guessed when it was time to make my first AJ. I have since made many batches, and some were sweeter than others when it was done. AJ will age well, and improve in flavor and smoothness. I bottled a couple of pints of the "sweeter" type back in September, and the flavor/mouthfeel is amazing. My last batch I let go completely dry before freezing, the first liquid off of the ice was very alcohol strong, crystal clear and a little short in the flavor dept, so I added FAJC right from the carton, and the flavor improved right away. The added sugar really brightens the flavor. There are so many different ways to make really tasty ciders, cisers, graffs, and perry's, and I have only scratched the surface myself.

Long term aging: Strong Scottish Ale, American Stout
3 new hard ciders, first is a Apple Raspberry, second will be a Apple Grape, and third Apple Cranberry. These will all become Jacked Ciders

Old 01-09-2015, 10:48 PM   #12
Don_Coyote
Recipes 

Thanks for posting this Vamo. Of everything i found searching for freezing info, this is one of the few articles that talks about the actual process. As someone with no interest in regular distilling, it is a big help to see it discussed from a brewer's/vintner's perspective.

I had 20+ gallons of pressed cider this fall so filled up my 4 carboys and added different yeast to each. When i bottled, i only did half of the 6.5 gallon one and let the rest sit to see if it would ferment further. Trapped inside with the polar vortex weather outside gave me the idea to jack the remainder.

Unfortunately i did the largest batch with lager yeast. It had fermented to 1.013 at bottling and then to 1.012 after 2 more weeks. I'd rather it would have been the traditional cider yeast as that one fermented out to 1.001 and tastes rather bland.

My initial method has been to put the cider in the brew kettle outside the door for half a day or so with the cover on. Bring inside, break the ice and scoop it out into my white plastic funnel with strainer over the kettle. After 10-15 minutes scrape the remaining (white) ice into another pot, repeat. I'll taste the results, maybe bottle some, then do more freezing if it seems it might improve. Slow, but i have other stuff to do in between and am most interested in the process at this point.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:39 AM   #13
pdxal
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 200

A super easy method is to make a batch of apple wine, then freeze it in sanitized 2L bottles after fermentation is complete. Alcohol concentration relates to freezing temperature reached, so freeze it very solid. Then, when ready to drain out the more concentrated alcoholic portion tip the bottle upside down into a funnel over another bottle and wait until desired portion has drained. I generally concentrate to 1/3 to 1/2 volume and end up with great tasting stuff with a serious kick.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:01 PM   #14
syd138
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Great thread. I have been using a similar process for years now. This has especially become easier once I got a deep freezer.

Simply enough this is what I do:
- Buy gallon of apple juice at Costco ($4.50).
- Empty out about a cup and add a cup of white sugar. Shake it well.
- Add it to an empty Carlo Rossi jug
- Add a pack of Nottingham or S-05
- Ferment for 2 weeks
- Add the fermented cider back into the plastic gallon jug
- Freeze the cider for 2 days
- Put it upsidedown in a large measuring cup.. so it is not touching the bottom.
- Let it go until the results don't taste strong.

Altogether I get about 16-20oz from a gallon

Old 01-12-2015, 11:38 PM   #15
Setesh
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 305 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 337

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd138 View Post
Great thread. I have been using a similar process for years now. This has especially become easier once I got a deep freezer.

Simply enough this is what I do:
- Buy gallon of apple juice at Costco ($4.50).
- Empty out about a cup and add a cup of white sugar. Shake it well.
- Add it to an empty Carlo Rossi jug
- Add a pack of Nottingham or S-05
- Ferment for 2 weeks
- Add the fermented cider back into the plastic gallon jug
- Freeze the cider for 2 days
- Put it upsidedown in a large measuring cup.. so it is not touching the bottom.
- Let it go until the results don't taste strong.

Altogether I get about 16-20oz from a gallon
What temperature do you ferment at?

Old 01-16-2015, 12:38 AM   #16
Don_Coyote
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxal View Post
A super easy method is to make a batch of apple wine, then freeze it in sanitized 2L bottles after fermentation is complete. Alcohol concentration relates to freezing temperature reached, so freeze it very solid. Then, when ready to drain out the more concentrated alcoholic portion tip the bottle upside down into a funnel over another bottle and wait until desired portion has drained. I generally concentrate to 1/3 to 1/2 volume and end up with great tasting stuff with a serious kick.
I've tried this a few times now. I try to avoid plastic as much as possible, but there is nothing hot involved here and no extra equipment needed to buy or store. The 2L bottle fits nicely into the neck of a quart mason jar when inverted. I emptied a 1L swingtop into the 2L bottle, froze, and set on the mason jar until the fluid hit the .33L mark. My 5.2ABV cider is now 15.6ABV applewine.