HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - This is it - Final Weekend to Enter!

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off - Final Weekend!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > It's not the time, it's the work...

Old 12-05-2007, 11:15 AM   #1
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default It's not the time, it's the work...

I am beat! Another 6 hour batch.

This was my first batch at my new house. So, of course, there's a learning curve there. And it was snowing, so taking my shoes on and off took some time. And I was mashing inside, boiling wort outside, and chilling in the basement, so there's the transferring issue to contend with.

But I don't mind the time. It's the lugging the stuff back and forth. Carrying buckets full of wort to the turkey fryer. Carrying 7 gallons of boiling hot wort down a dozen steps to the basement. Dragging my MLT outside to dump the spent grains.

I am exhausted. I think I need a brew sculpture.

I also need better clamps. Those $0.25 dryer-hose clamps don't clamp down worth a damn.

I'm seriously tempted to go down to 3 gallon batches on the stove in the winter and 10 gallon batches in the summer. 5 gallons is just not enough when the weather's nice and just too much to lug around when the weather's cold.

Sorry to vent here. Hopefully I'll have a good Alt in a few months to show for my efforts...

-----------------------------
UPDATE: On page 3, I am building a brewstand to cut down on the less pleasurable work of cleaning and hooking up connections to carry hot wort around. I just decided against starting a whole new thread.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:22 AM   #2
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Humpsalot
Carrying 7 gallons of boiling hot wort down a dozen steps to the basement.
That sounds like lots of fun...

It's physical work here too (back and forth, up and down, in and out), but I have too much fun with it to worry about it.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:11 PM   #3
Kevin Dean

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
That sounds more like it!
I feared this was a "I'm done brewing" thread.

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network

Old 12-05-2007, 12:13 PM   #4
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Ding, ding, ding!!! We have a winner!!!

Made all the difference in my brew days. The only thing I carry now is a full carboy into the house.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:22 PM   #5
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I do everything in the garage except ferment. I get water from the kitchen (which is just inside the garage), and have a ghetto quasi-sculpture consisting of the top of a patio bar for the MLT and a burner on cinder blocks. Gravity does all my work for me except carry the sealed ferementer to the basement.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:55 PM   #6
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

A sculpture would indeed help a lot. It's on my to-do list, too. As for chilling, take a look at this. It could help you chill where you boil, thus elimination at least some of the lugging around.

I don't know how far your garage is from your house, but for hauling your heavy stuff, why not try to get it on wheels??? I recycled my kids' Radio Flyer that they no longer use and I use it to wheel my carboys back and forth to my house. I still have to carry them downstairs, but it helps.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 12-05-2007, 07:14 PM   #7
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

I will say that I was actually envisioning 100+ foot long hoses... running from the kitchen down onto to driveway/garage and then from outside to the basement.

Ridiculous, I know, but I'd rather sanitize a length of hose than lug hot wort around...

Old 12-05-2007, 07:22 PM   #8
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
I will say that I was actually envisioning 100+ foot long hoses... running from the kitchen down onto to driveway/garage and then from outside to the basement.

Ridiculous, I know, but I'd rather sanitize a length of hose than lug hot wort around...
Funny you mention that. The area in my basement where I ferment is actually directly behind my garage. I'm thinking about drilling a hole though the poured concrete wall and running tubing through it and the floor joists to my fermenting area. I haven't worked out all of the specifics of it yet, but I could do it fairly cheaply and it would save me some hauling on brewday.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:24 PM   #9
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You might talk to Brewtopia to get some insight on his process. He makes five gallon AG batches in his condo basically by boiling/combining 2.5 gal batches.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:25 PM   #10
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobrewtus
Funny you mention that. The area in my basement where I ferment is actually directly behind my garage. I'm thinking about drilling a hole though the poured concrete wall and running tubing through it and the floor joists to my fermenting area. I haven't worked out all of the specifics of it yet, but I could do it fairly cheaply and it would save me some hauling on brewday.
Great minds think alike. I too was staring at the cinderblocks at the top of my basement wall and thinking, "just one hole... plug it up when I don't need it... and my problems are solved..."

On a positive note though, I mashed inside and swmbo didn't seem to mind the cooler/kettle/etc.

Keep the suggestions coming folks, I'm still thinking about them.... Trying to figure out which options are attainable in my situation with minimal cash outlay.