Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > 8 beers you should stop drinking immediately

Old 04-08-2014, 05:16 PM   #1
tele_dirtbag
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default 8 beers you should stop drinking immediately

http://worldtruth.tv/8-beers-that-yo...g-immediately/

Does anyone else feel Guinness is being wrongfully targeted here?

Old 04-08-2014, 05:27 PM   #2
Dmlsys23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts

Just a bit. "High Fructose Corn Syrup" is just sugar. Fish bladder? They mean isinglass. That crap is just fear-mongering. I support getting people to drink craft beer but this isn't the way to do it.

People Like This 
Old 04-08-2014, 05:29 PM   #3
sandyeggoxj
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 405 Times on 296 Posts

Quote:
Try to stay away from any American beers. Choose organic beer. Beers that contain 100% organic labels, have to have ingredients that are all 100% organic. While an “organic” label just means 95% of it will be organic. European beer is most likely to be safe from GMO ingredients but unfortunately, most other beer contains GMO artificial ingredients, stabilizers, grains and preservatives, plus, HFCS.
The paragraph under the list is full of inconsistencies. Besides the "American" beers that I think they are referring to aren't even owned in America! I thought it would be a good article but I was dissapointed in their analysis.

In Summary: Drink euro, everything else has GMO stuff. Don't drink american. Only drink organic from your local brewery here in america.

If you don't love bacon then you are letting the terrorists win!!

Want to make better beer?
Remember this: Measure, Test, Learn.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:30 PM   #4
JDGator
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 8

it's like anything, moderation is key. some of those aren't may fav beer but i still drink them if someone offers them to me.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:30 PM   #5
rattyboh
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Everything on this list is being wrongfully targeted. It's just another article saying anything with GMOs is poison without providing any form of scientific evidence. Reminds me of the foodbabe article:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/alar...points-421992/
probably because it is listed as a source
A great response from brewers about that article seems to apply to most points in this one as well:
http://maureenogle.com/maureen-ogle/...-of-dumbassery
People Like This 
Old 04-08-2014, 05:36 PM   #6
beernbourbon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Wow. The propaganda machine keeps on a turnin'.
LOL fish bladder..... ummmm....aka Isinglass?
And to say High Fructose Corn Syrup has been banned from food and drink is just a big fat lie. Yes, it's 'sugar' albeit chemically processed corn to create a sweetener, and the debate of good vs. bad for you will rage on for years to come, but to say it's been banned is downright irresponsible........well I was going to say journalism, but I won't insult those true journalists that actually research their articles before publishing them.
Gawd, I hate these types of things.....

"If you do not strive for perfection, then you default to mediocrity"
-Darrel Connerton

Old 04-08-2014, 05:37 PM   #7
kh54s10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 911 Times on 761 Posts
Likes Given: 237

You worry too much about this stuff and you will spend your days suffering from ulcers.

Brew your own. You will probably be using GMO grains anyway..... Unless you buy organic and really know the source. Of course that would be very expensive.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:38 PM   #8
WayFrae
Homebrew Enthusiast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 180 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Why do so many people think GMO means it is bad for you? It is just genetically modified to produce more of something desirable.
I understand the high fructose corn syrup thing in soft drinks but in beer it will be fully fermented out so it shouldn't have any adverse effects.
The whole fish bladder thing is laughable. The swim bladders in fish are one of the purest sources of collagen.
They might as well do an article about Jello and say "High Fructose Corn Syrup AND Horse Hooves...STAY AWAY!!!"
Bottled: Rodeo Clown RyePA | Rye Stout | Robust Porter | Nut Brown Ale
rmyurick Likes This 
Old 04-08-2014, 05:40 PM   #9
fearwig
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 100

"8 weird beers discovered by a homebrewer"

Not propaganda, but clickbait. Worked, too.

BPA is absolutely the only thing on that list that is actually in lots of canned beer and is actually proven to be harmful as a hormone inhibitor (debate all you want, there's plenty of supporting science and many regulators worldwide have banned it). It's probably worse for kids. Don't let your kids drink can beer.

Caramel coloring can be marginally carcinogenic depending on method of production (per the state of CA).

HFCS is probably not used much in beer and the glycemic issues associated with its overconsumption are obviously irrelevant if it's been fermented away. It is sometimes produced, at least in the US, with an out-of-date means that may introduce moderate levels of mercury, which could be passed to the beer--but, come on, let's be real, probably not in quantity.

GMO corn syrup... I don't know, you're not looking at any real protein content, so the few legit allergenic concerns about GMOs go out the window. GMO corn in the mash for adjunct lagers, I guess, OK, maybe. Depends on what you believe about the problems with GMO in general. Not imaginary, vastly overstated.

Nothing wrong with propylene glycol. You seriously have to chug it to get sick.

Carageenan is... it's carageenan. It's in lots of stuff. It's from seaweed. Some people apparently think it's carcinogenic, there doesn't seem to be any real support for that.

What the hell is "Natural Flavors" doing on that list? What does that mean? My god. Insect-based dyes... what beer contains insect-based dyes (usually red)? They're perfectly safe, but for real, what beer? Killians? Crikey.
People Like This 
Old 04-08-2014, 05:43 PM   #10
mdabbles
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Corn is a genetically modified plant, and has been for thousands of years. In fact, corn would not exist without "genetic modification".

Sent from my C5155 using Home Brew mobile app

People Like This