Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Question about saving malt extract

Old 12-05-2007, 01:41 AM   #1
Skins_Brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Question about saving malt extract

Howdy.

I am planning my first batch of beer at around XMAS time and i had a few questions.

I was wondering if the malt extract will keep in freezer because i only plan on using half.

Why would i only use half i ask?

Well, i figured i would only make 2 1/2 gallons for my initial batch. I dont want 5 gallons of funky beer because i messed something up. Also, my electric stove will boil 2 1/2 gallons more effectively then it will 5 gallons.

Another question, when i boil the wort, is it OK to keep the cover on my kettle?

Thanks for answering my super basic questions!

Old 12-05-2007, 02:47 AM   #2
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Are you talking about dry malt extract or liquid? If liquid, you can put a layer of vodka on top of it, cover it and put it in the fridge. Use rather quickly. If it is dry, put it in a ziplock bag and try to remove as much air as possible and stick it in the freezer. You can keep the lid on to help it reach a boil but then remove it as far as possible (preferably off). The reason for this is to evaporate as much dimethyl sulfide (dms) as possible. This is more of a concern with all-grain boils but it also comes into play with extract. I used to make beer on the stove (before i damaged it) and boiled 5 gallons, but it did take a while to bring it to a boil (about 1 hour). I'd go for the full 5 gallon batch right away.

Good Luck!

Old 12-05-2007, 02:51 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6242 Times on 4448 Posts
Likes Given: 1686

I've never saved liquid extract, but I have dry malt extract on hand. I keep it in a ziploc bag in my cupboard. You want to keep moisture away from it- otherwise it will get rock hard. So, in a dry place is all that is needed for the dry extract.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 12-05-2007, 03:38 AM   #4
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've saved liquid malt extract for a few weeks after opening the plastic pale or jug. I purge it with CO2, then float a thin layer of vodka on top. It will keep for a few weeks like this at room temp with no problems.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:19 AM   #5
covered95
Recipes 

The one time i kept the lid on while boiling swmbo banned me from the kitchen for life. I would not recommend it (unless you need a good excuse to move outside and start all grain brewing)